“dirty run-down”

Sanja Cota Motor Lodge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Ynez
Sanja Cota Motor Lodge
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Santa Ynez
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We picked this motel being in desperate situations, because all other hotels in Solvang were full (and we didn't have any opportunity to read the hotel reviews on the internet).
The room looked and smelled really scary. I couldn't imagine that there can be a place like this in the middle of California.
Dirty carpet that looked 50 years old. Strong chemical smell. Queen beds with decent mattresses, but the blankets and sheets had a holes (from cigarettes?). Fire alarm was hanging from the ceiling, on wires. I wasn't able to get the hot water in the shower, only slightly warm.
On the positive side, there were no bed bugs, we weren't robbed, and the night costed us only $68.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank akela33

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We drove up to Solvang for the holiday weekend on a whim, and of course, there were no hotels available EXCEPT the Sanja Cota. The rate was $99. The pillow cases had "Property of Sanja Cota" written on them in black marker. I think the towels had the same thing written on them, but I can't be sure because there was no way I was going to take a shower in that place. The fire alarm was sitting on top of the dresser. The manager Lillian turned on the heater which was making popping sounds but we immediately turned it off for fear of what might happen. I sent my children the name of the hotel in case we were never seen from again, so at least they knew where our last whereabouts were. Thank God we woke up without incident and we left as soon as we were awake.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank sonja f
Reviewed December 22, 2010

Me and my boyfriend go to the santa inez casino quite often and we usually stay at this motel yes it is a lil old and needs alot of repairs but the owner is a sweeteheart and hey you get what you pay for @ $60 a night what do you expect a suite? all i am saying is this place has what you need and thats all that should matter.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank zoe_raya
Reviewed October 29, 2010

I actually never have seen anything I would see out of the movies like this. This is from the Bates Motel but better. I think they can do the next "Dexter" episode here. They should never tear this historical landmark down. It is pure Hollywood. We drove up to neon light. Dexter would love to slice up somebody under that neon light at night time. The light looked sooooooo cool. But we ended up leaving and getting a car wash next door. The best car wash ever. The Mexican people were so helpful. My car was spotless afterwards. We ended up at El Rancho down the street for the best Tri-tip sandwich in your life. Mmmmmm. It was soo good, we bought the tri-tip to-go and drove home to LA to enjoy in the comfort of home.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank schlepers
Reviewed May 4, 2010

My husband and I traveled to Solvang without reservations Labor Day weekend( I know, dumb move) It was the only place with vacancies (no wonder!) Thought the place would be okay. Paid for room ($189!) but when we saw a couple of them, we knew we couldn't stay there. A flop house would have been better. Filth and stench. It was actually scary. The extremely rude manager said no way, Jose to a refund. It should be closed down. We learned a few lessons that weekend. Found a very nice Best Western in Lompoc ($110) and had a very nice time.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sallyb002
Reviewed August 5, 2006

Not a place that I would recommend. When we made the reservation over the phone they gave us one price and then when we there around midnight we were charged $181.50 for a very dated room that smelled of stale smoke. There were no little amenities such as soap and shampoo. When we asked for an extra blanket and pillows we were told no, they didn't have any. It was so gross!!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with friends
3  Thank staratsb
A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles
Reviewed December 30, 2005

Our room was definitely dated but clean and functional, if everything else is booked this is still better than sleeping in your car. They have only the barest necessities, a tiny TV, no internet access, not even a phone in the room. The motel 6 only a few miles down the road in Buelton is probably better and is the same price. If you can spend more Pea Soup Andersons is where we stayed and it was nicer and had wireless access. The Chumash Casino Resort is supposed to be nicer yet.

• Stayed: December 2005, traveled on business
#3 of 11 in Solvang
ForFriends Inn
ForFriends Inn
#1 of 1 in Santa Ynez

Been to Sanja Cota Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!