“Another excellent restaurant in Santa Ynez”
Review of Dos Carlitos

Dos Carlitos
Ranked #5 of 21 Restaurants in Santa Ynez
Cuisines: South American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 23, 2011

You won't be disappointed if you try this restaurant. I'm amazed at the number of quality restaurants this little town has and Don Carlitos has some of the tastiest and most imaginative Mexican food I've ever had. The salsa, chips and corn relish and wonderful and it is too easy to start on them and be too full for the excellent meal when it arrives.

There are newer reviews for Dos Carlitos

Reviewed December 4, 2011

We're more inclined to rate this "good" than "very good," but alas, there is no such option. I wouldn't expect perfect authenticity, but if you're looking for a basic chip-and-dip with a margarita experience, this is solid.

Reviewed December 4, 2011

Love getting margs and eats here with friends. Great place for Cinco De Mayo too!

Reviewed November 18, 2011

My wife and I were in the Santa Ynez Valley (outside of Santa Barbara) and decided to have lunch at Dos Carlitos. We had seen it on numerous occasions as we have had lunch several times at the Red Barn which is across the street. My wife had heard it had good reviews so we thought we would give it a try.
When we got there, it was a little after 1:00pm so the lunch crowd has dispersed quite a bit. We were cordially greeted and seated promptly. The waiter was extremely attentive and always maintained a welcoming attitude. This attentiveness continued throughout the meal as he frequently refreshed our drinks and queried about anything more we may need.
The menu was typical Mexican fare with enchiladas, tamales, tacos, tostados, quesadillas, and burritos. In addition, there were salads, ceviche, and hot sandwiches. Our meal started with the traditional chips and salsa which also included a side of corn relish (quite a tasty surprise). My wife had the grilled eggplant quesadilla and I had a steak burrito asada. When we were served, the portions were huge!
The quality of the food was excellent. I think that the key to its taste was that authentic Mexican cheeses were used in the preparation of each dish. To that point, I usually like my Mexican food much spicier and, while there was hot sauce available on the table, the preparation of the burrito was so delicious that I chose not to alter it in any way. The pieces of sliced steak were tender and had a smokey, grilled flavor...delicious! Likewise, my wife's quesadilla was excellent as well (though I did add some salsa to it).
Our only regret was that I ate a lot of chips, salsa, and guacamole before the meal as we were starving when we came in. In retrospect, I should have held off eating until the main course.
In talking to the waiter, this restaurant has counterparts in Santa Barbara: Carlitos on State Street and Cava on Coast Village Road. (We will be going there for sure!)
On the whole, I would recommend Dos Carlitos to anyone who wants good Mexican food in the Santa Ynez Valley (close to the Chumash Casino).

1  Thank ptsuts
Reviewed October 17, 2011

On the recommendation of a staff at our hotel in Buellton, CA, for a weekend of wine tasting, we had lunch at Dos Carlitos. The staff was right when he recommended this restaurant! Located in the cute town of Santa Ynez, Dos Carlitos blends in with the same cute, sophisticated setting. And the food! I had the chicken mole tacos and my partner the chili relleno- both the best I have ever tasted! I also recommend ordering the black beans and rice as a side. The black beans are delicious and the rice- they cook it with sliced chilis for fluffy, flavorful rice. In all- an excellent dining experience. It is so close to Solvang, everyone who visits the area should dine here at least once!