“It was nice, but...”

Sunstone Vineyards & Winery
Ranked #2 of 27 things to do in Santa Ynez
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Sunstone Vineyards, Winery and Villa is an organic vineyard retreat, located just 35-minutes north of Santa Barbara, in the beautiful Santa Ynez Valley. Enjoy Sunstone wines in our Provençal French courtyards, stone barrel-aging caves or picnic grounds, and enjoy our flight of 6 wines for $18 per person. We are open from 11am - 5pm daily, with last pour occurring at 4:30pm. Groups of 8 or more must make a private tasting reservation online, or call.
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This was the third and last stop of our winery tour and selected it because of the previous reviews and description of it being sooo beautiful and on the river. Well I guess I'm spoiled by REALLY beautiful wineries in Paso and Napa. While this was "nice" I wouldn't say it was THAT nice and I never saw any river.

It was super busy but they managed to accommodate everyone efficiently and it was pretty rowdy as it was towards the end of the tasting day. We paid the $15 for the reserve tasting (8 wines, no refund if you purchased wine and no souvenir glass). The staff was knowledgeable and really busy but managed to be informative about the wines and answer questions. They had bread and olive oil and vinegar to taste between tastings, which was nice and they kept it clean and re-filled. The best wine was the 2007 Merlot.

All reviews
"great stop"
"nice location"
"unique experience"

Reviewed August 25, 2012

As a travel company owner, I travel often and have been to the French countryside numerous times. When I heard that Sunstone had a villa important from France, I thought it would be a bit "cheesy". Wow, was I proven wrong! Their attention to detail in aesthetics is impressive and it shows in both the villa and tasting rooms.

The owners have a heart-warming story of how they built the stunning villa that sits high above the tasting room of Sunstone. It is a serene place that takes your breathe away and instantly relaxes you all over. It is as if you traveled across the ocean to Europe and yet never stepped on the plane.

Those that work at Sunstone, such as Annamarie, Jenna, and Anna to name a few, have been nothing but fantastic to work with! The quality of the people, along with the quality of the wine and the beauty of the surroundings, will bring people back time and again. I just hope not too many when I am visiting!

Reviewed August 14, 2012

This was the first stop on our trek through the Santa Ynez valley. We got there when it first opened, so there were only a handful of people, which was nice! We paid the extra $4 for the reserve tasting so we tried all 8 wines and enjoyed almost all of them. You really do feel like you're in Tuscany. My husband and I got a lot of great photos just walking around, too. They had picnic tables with umbrellas right outside the tasting room, then through a small gate they had a large grassy area with more tables and benches. Looking back, this winery and Zaca Mesa were our two favorites for the day.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

I have to start by saying that my now finance proposed in the garden, so obviously I this place holds a special place in my heart! But it's a lovely winery, with a great picnic friendly courtyard and they sell wine by the glass, which is great. The cellar room is beautiful too. Take a picnic, do the tasting and enjoy.

1  Thank desktraveller101