“House of Pliny the Elder”

Russian River Brewing Company
Ranked #12 of 567 Restaurants in Santa Rosa
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night
Reviewed November 1, 2012

You can't review this place as a restaurant alone. This place is a pub, plain and simple. But it is a pub that is the home of one of the best IPAs in the country. My daughter worked at one of the few bars on the East Coast which offers Russian River brews. She being very familiar with the product, I made sure to add this place to our itinerary. The pub itself looks like a typical college bar. Don't expect anything fancy. Remember, it is a pub. The place was packed when we visited, largely due to the fact that the Giants and the A's were both in the playoffs. However, when our group of eight showed up, they found two tables together and seated us right away. My mother and mother in law do not drink beer but when in Rome. With advice from my daughter, they were both able to find a beer that they enjoyed. I can attest that Pliny the Elder is truly one of the best beers that I have ever tasted. We tasted quite a few of the beers that were available between the eight of us. Be warned. The beers at RR have some pretty high alcohol levels. You can't drink these without eating something to offset the effects. Don't worry. This place has fantastic pizzas and munchies. They also have salads and sandwiches which we did not try.
If you like different types of beers from IPAs to Belgians to Sours, give this place a shot. If you're a Miller Lite drinker, this isn't your place. It is very popular, so depending on the time of your visit, you may have to deal with large crowds and a slower service.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

The title says it all. The beer is brilliant. If you are a craft beer or real ale enthusiast this place is a must!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Went out to Napa Valley but stayed in Sonoma. Was happily surprised when I realized this place was only 2 miles from us up highway 101. I had heard of their beers from RateBeer.com's list of the 50 best beer's in the world (they have 4 of them). The place was packed and waited for a table but was happy with the service and food. They had a great live band playing that night too. Definitely worth a stop if you love beer.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stopped here for beer and dinner on our way back from a day in sonoma. The beer was the main attraction and was great, althoughninwasnt a big fan of the sours, Pliny the elder was delicious. When I googled the menu on the way there I wasn't expecting much because there isn't a ton on the menu, pizza, a few apps and like 3 sandwiches. They had these beer bites that were amazing as an app. I also got a pizza and it was very good. They also have happy hour deals on their beer from 4 to 630 and then all day on Sunday too. Go here if you are in the area and enjoy microbrews!

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Knowing my wife and I would be in the area, I had to stop in and sample a pint (or two) of their renowned Pliny the Elder Imperial IPA. My wife does not enjoy beer as much as I do, but we discovered Russian River offered several nice wines by the glass. We arrived on a Friday afternoon during happy hour and experienced the popularity of the establishment. The brew pub was hopping (no pun intended!) on that particular day. However, the bar and wait staff worked very hard to please and provided excellent service.

After a short wait, which was made shorter as we enjoyed a round from the bar, we were escorted to a nice table for two and were greeted quickly by our server. She allowed us plenty of time to consider the menu and helped my wife decide on a few sour ales to sample. We ordered a nice charcuterie plate as an appetizer, and the dish was generous in size and hit the spot. We ordered a nice combination pizza as an entree. The pizza was one of the best I have enjoyed in recent memory. The ingredients were super fresh and generous in portion. We had enough of each for a nice doggie bag that was enjoyed later in the weekend.

I recommend stopping in for happy hour to enjoy their specials. Please understand this is a very popular place and be prepared to wait for a table. We enjoyed our evening at the Russian River Brewing Company and will stop by the next time we are in Santa Rosa, CA!