“Weird Hotel, But Functional”
Review of Hillside Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Rosa
Hillside Inn
Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Seattle, WA
“Weird Hotel, But Functional”
Reviewed August 4, 2008

I was hesitant to stay at this hotel given the reviews about the surly front desk, but I needed an inexpensive place to stay for 4 nights and this was the most convenient place to where I needed to be.

When we arrived at 10pm to check in, there was one guy at the front desk. He was standing about as far from the desk as one could stand and was just bizarre in how he answered our questions. Wasn't rude, but just very cold and strange.

We checked into our 2 bedroom suite and were surprised at the layout. Yes, there are 2 bedrooms with their own doors. But you have to go through the first bedroom from the outside to go to the other one, and if you want to go to the kitchen, you need to walk into that first bedroom also. So whoever has the first bedroom (with one bed) has no privacy. Oh, and they didn't bother to mention that the second bedroom (with 2 beds) has no air conditioning. It was 85 degrees and no air conditioning?

The kitchen is also locked and needed to be opened by the front desk. We needed the fridge, and it was not even turned on. The kitchen was visably clean, but smelled like it had been locked up with no ventilation for 20 years - that hot, musty smell. Really gross. And the door to the patio was not very securely locked (looked like someone had tried to break in) and I didn't feel very secure with it.

When I removed the bedspread from the bed, it also had that hot, musty smell. Usually when someone is checking in they either open the windows or turn on the air. It seemed as if this suite is rarely used and just left closed up.

It's also the first hotel that I've ever stayed in that has no menus or info on area restaurants (other than the hotel's adjoining breakfast/lunch place). They didn't seem to know much about area restaurants when you asked either. Very unhelpful. The woman at the front desk my second night snapped at me when I didn't ask my question quick enough (I thought she was on the phone, so hesitated - I didn't realize she intended to talk to me while staring down at a spreadsheet and not looking at me), but the next day she was cheery and friendly. Very strange.

The room was always cleaned well, and the price was certainly good ($95 for a 2 bedroom suite). It's within walking distance of that aforementioned breakfast/lunch place, a local restaurant (kinda like upscale Denny's), IHOP, Safeway supermarket and 24 hour Long's Drugs. I would stay there again, but probably not in the suite unless it was not hot out (the second bedroom did appear to have a wall heater for winter).

• Liked — wonderful breakfasts at the Hillside Restaurant and great service
  • Disliked — only 1 room of suite with air conditioning
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
4 Thank Susiepooh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Seattle
Reviewed May 26, 2008

When my 80-year-old mother and I were making plans to attend my sister's graduation ceremony, I asked my sister to pick a hotel near her home and to make the reservations for us, When she had done so, I googled the hotel name and up popped this site, with warnings about the grumpy manager and his bizarre maid policy. "Oh, boy," I thought... and crossed my fingers. All was well in my room the first night, but my poor mother, who had to do without earplugs, was kept awake by partiers above her room till after 4:30 in the morning. A few hours later after graduation, Mom tried to lie down for a nap back at the hotel. But nooooo! The maid had to clean, even though the DO NOT DISTURB sign was firmly in place. When Mom explained she was trying to rest, the maid returned with the manager, who informed Mom the room had to be cleaned NOW, and stalked off. When we checked out the following day, we both tried to convince the manager how rude it was to keep an elderly woman from her rest, and he actually smirked. What kind of man would smile in the face of a sweet old lady's exhaustion? He is the owner, by the way. So forget trying to complain. Just stay away.

• Liked — Proximity to family in Santa Rosa
  • Disliked — Manager/owner is openly rude with no reason. Should NOT be AAA listed.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Saintepegrini

Travelers are raving about these Santa Rosa hotels

Eureka, CA
Reviewed January 17, 2008

I agree with the other reviews that the staff are extremely rude. I tried to book a room and requested a King size bed for my husband, myself and our 8 month old baby. I requested a roll away bed for our 9 year old daughter. the person that answered the phone suggested we get a suite and I informed her that we did not need a suite. She said we would have to get two double beds then as this is their "rule" and that I could sleep with my baby in one and my husband with my 9 year old daughter. I informed her that I did not feel it was her role to deceide how a family should sleep. She then asked me if I would like to cancel the reservation. I informed her that I would like to cancel the reservation. I don't understand why this hotel is in business they don't seem to care about their potential customers. I made a reservation at the Days Inn instead and they did not seem to have a problem at all with our sleeping arrangements.

• Stayed January 2008
2 Thank HollyEureka_CA
USA
Reviewed November 13, 2007

Over the last 7 or 8 years we have stayed always at the Hillside Inn. Our experiences have been stellar! My elderly Aunt and Uncle, who lived in Santa Rosa a few years ago also had a very good experience after half of their house burned down and their Insurance Agent arranged for them to stay an extended amount of time while their home was being rebuilt. My only frustration is that I cannot contact the Hillside via a web site and must make a long distance telephone call to secure our reservations. Our next stay will be in early March 2008.

Stayed October 2006
2 Thank SukiTota
Honolulu
Reviewed September 7, 2007

I read the review on the owner/manager, and I thought, well, that won't affect me. But I guess I was wrong. We stayed there two nights, and on the first day, I went to the office to say that we didn't need maid service the next morning, that we could take care of ourselves. The owner/manager said we had to have maid service. I said it wasn't necessary. We went around and around for a few times, and after he got kind of nasty and said it was the policy of the hotel that everyone HAD to have maid service, and that if I didn't like it, I could go to the Flamingo next door. I didn't want to do that since they were twice as expensive, and I liked the hotel except for him. So I agreed to the maid service, and asked if the maid could come early, at 8:00 am. He said they started at 9:00. I said okay. The next morning the maid came by about 9:15, and asked if we needed service. My daughter, who had come to the hotel so we could all go to breakfast, said, in Spanish, "no need for service." So the maid left. I told my daughter we were in trouble now. Sure enough, about five minutes later, the phone rang, and it was the owner/manager. He said we HAD to have maid service. What else could I do? I capitulated. The maid came and cleaned the already clean bathroom and vacuumed the already clean floor. I guess I should be thankful for something.... That it was clean, although it is also interesting to note, that the pool had leaves in it, and the concrete around the pool needed sweeping...
I will stay there again, even though the owner/manager is one of the most disagreeable people I have ever met. The Inn is close to my daughter's house, and the price is right, and those are the only reasons I will stay there again.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The owner/manager
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank People-persontoo
California
Reviewed August 5, 2007

My parents are Santa Rosa locals, but we were going to stay at the hotel so my 3 small children could have a chance to swim. My children had run out of the room to look down at the pool. We had them come inside because we know that it's not okay to have children running in the hallway. Once inside we got a call from the manager saying, "Are you going to take care of those kids or what?" He then said, "You better take care of them, or I will." I went to talk with him at the front desk to let him know that I understood why he called, and that I agree that my kids shouldn't have been running, but that the choice of words he used was not okay, and that there is an implied threat in that statement that if we didn't do something he would. He interuppted me, saying that I wouldn't take responsibiltiy for my children, and that I needed to "quit trying to take this to the next level." I calmly asked if we could just talk and he said, "I don't care what you have to say, Lady." He then walked to the door, opened it up, and told me to "get out right now." I have never been treated so poorly.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The treatment by the owner.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank jenn24601
Cali
Reviewed February 7, 2007

The staff was less then friendly. Shortly after leaving (on route to the airport) we noticed we had forgotten something. When we called a few days later they mentioned that they hadn't seen the item and didn't offer to look (even though we knew where it would be). When we called again a couple weeks later, after the managed checked the "lost and found," we insisted that it was left there an nowhere else, that we knew it was gone on the way to the airport, and she barked that "it wasn't turned in" - aka - end of story, instead of saying she'd check with the staff (which would be good business). Not worth the cheaper rates with such bad service.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends