“Tired and Overrated”

Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
silicon valley, ca
“Tired and Overrated”
Reviewed August 23, 2008

Booked this hotel for a 1-night getaway to the Santa Rosa area on the advise of this site and others. Was horribly disappointed with the hotel and the room, there is no way it is a 3 1/2 ... at best a 2. The room reminded me of a 1970's era holiday inn (that hadn't been updated since the 1970's). The carpet was filthy and worn, the bathroom had harsh lights, was of minimal size, the sink didn't drain, the towels were right from the Home Depot sandpaper department. We left as soon as we could in the morning

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jonathanalan
Don H, Front Office Manager at Flamingo Conference Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 21, 2016
Thank you for your feedback. A lot has changed since 2008. We'd love to have you back again to see it.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Korean first
North Haven, CT
Reviewed August 12, 2008

After reading the reviews on this site, I have to admit I was really worried about the Flamingo. My sister lives in Santa Rosa and she booked the hotel for me for one week. One room for my husband and myself and the other for the kids.

It was $143 per room per night which is cheap for the area so I was leery. The web site showed clean pretty rooms that looked very nice but as I said, most of the reviews on this site were insulting so I worried. I don't need the most updated room but I do need a feeling of clean when I stay somewhere. That would include the bed, bedding and bathroom. I am very picky when it comes to my comfort.

I found the rooms clean and tidy. I am not sure what everyone expects for the price but the bed was comfortable and everything was clean. The style of the hotel is 50s or 60s and it has tried to keep the ambiance of that time. Yes, there is updating that is needed. In my opinion updating needs to be done everywhere on a continuous basis. Yes, they were in the process of renovating so I do believe they are trying to keep up with the times but keep the hotel with the look of yesterday. I do agree that the bathroom did not have everything needed. We didn't have conditioner until the 3rd or 4th day but I didn't care. I bring my own shampoo and conditioner. There was also a stain on the rug so I made sure to keep my slippers on. I think on at least one of the days the cleaning crew didn't step into the bathroom to clean it because the coffee pot was still dirty and our "stuff" was untouched.

The pool area is beautiful and it is large. A cart comes out and serves simple foods and drink. The kids loved the ice cream. The pool area was relaxing and security was always present to ensure no outsiders were freeloading.

The front desk staff was phenomenal. I will mention Angela who worked the front desk and Lisa the night manager who bent over backward for us on every little detail. Helga (my husband thinks this is her name) who works behind the scenes also helped when we had a minor problem. Thank you!

The restaurant on the property was good. The food was consistent and the prices reasonable. We didn't eat there often but had breakfast a few times.

All in all, we had a great relaxing time. The Flamingo is a nice hotel for the price and the staff that worked with us was the best.

• Liked — The front desk staff and the pool
  • Disliked — Inconsistent cleaning staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for your review!
Decatur, GA
Reviewed August 9, 2008

Nice location in Santa Rosa. Comfortable and clean room. Large pool area in nice setting. Parking tight. We liked this hotel and been here twice. Kind of hard to pin down. Revolving Flamingo on a pillar sets it apart immediately. 1950's ish rooms renovated last year. The glass enclosed planted corridors between wings a nice design. They "upgraded" us to an "executive suite" which turned out to be a ground floor room on a corner next to a noisy lobby area so now we're a tad skeptical of their marketing. Food ok but we recommend breakfast at Creekside across the street. Room rate a little too high. Next time we'll try to get a better deal on the rates through priceline or hotels.com etc. Or, since we didn't really take advantage of the pool and spa, we'll probably check out other hotels in the area first.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Thank you for your note on comfortable and clean rooms. Our pool is huge, we agree. We'd love to see you back.
Dallas
Reviewed August 6, 2008

there was some confusion about the room we booked at first, but they sorted it out and gave us the proper room (not friendly/nice/accommodating about this at all). internet is included in the executive king rooms, but not anywhere else, which is why we booked the room, but were put into a deluxe suite by mistake.
rooms are definitely dated, but has updated linens, which are nice.
sheets/towels smell like chlorine, not so nice. bathroom products were missing some things like conditioner and hand soap the first day, but when they refreshed our room they were included. room (executive king) is a good size and has a large bathroom. walls are a little thin as you can hear the person next door snoring. pool is great. good amenities.

• Liked — it's got it's own thing going on.
  • Disliked — it's got it's own thing going on.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
We're very happy that the error was corrected. Internet is included with all our rooms now. We're sorry for the mix up, but assure you a lot has changed since 2008.
San Francisco
Reviewed August 5, 2008

This place does not meet its advertised self. Calling it the Nickel & Dime Ya Drive-Inn would be more appropriate. $200 plus per night and you have to pay for the gym, your coffee and your internet? We've stayed at way nicer Best Westerns. The rooms feel 80's. On the plus side, the pool area is very attractive and my partner thought the front desk was helpful. Big Whoop, overall, a rip.

• Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for your review. We're very sorry you found your stay to be only "so-so." We strive for excellence in hospitality. Our team works round the clock to take care of guest issues and needs. We'd love to see you again.
Lynnwood, Washington
Reviewed July 14, 2008

Came up with wife and two young sons for a wine country wedding. Paid $159 for Thur-Fri-Sat nites. I swam in the main central pool, which was great. The adjoining health club's complimentary tennis courts and lap pool was free and seemed awesome (though using the weights costs $12).

However, I didn't like the pay-per-use wi-fi ($4.95 for 4 hours, $9.95/day) nor the cost to use the PC/printer in the lobby to print out boarding passes. The latter crashed and ate my minutes and so the manager nicely let me use a PC inside their office to print out my passes.

Also, you might try to get a 2/F room since we were able to hear the guests above us too well, due to the squeaky floors. Room also felt small though granted there were 4 of us.

In retrospect, I would've booked at the Courtyard Marriott and paid slightly more, for the above reasons and since it's located right next to Railyard Depot and I'm trying to build up my Marriott nites.

• Business service (e.g., internet access)
We're very sorry you felt nickeled and dimed. We hope you know that a lot has changed since 2008. We hope to see you soon.
arizona
Reviewed July 12, 2008

I was very disappointed in the Flamingo. My husband remembered it as a landmark in Sonoma County, BUT... there was major partying going on and as a result there was no parking. I am not as sensitive to noise as my husband so I didn't mind the party noises all night. But the final straw was the broken television, which the maintence man was unsure if he could fix. He offered us a vague, "I can stop by later and try something different.." After complaining, without any room change offered, we checked out. It was $222.00 for that one night and we felt majorly ripped off.
There are way better hotels, than the flamingo in Santa Rosa. We ended up staying at the Fountaingrove Inn and had a great time.

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — broken television, inadequate parking
3 Thank superkalifragaistic
We're very sorry you found the parking situation to be unacceptable. We're also sorry for the noise on that night. A lot has changed since 2008. We'd love for you to give us another chance.

Travelers are raving about these Santa Rosa hotels