“Great local get away” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
SF,CA
“Great local get away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I purchased a Zozi deal and used it on Sunday night. For $179 we got accommodations for one night, one 50 minute massage, 2 passes to the health club for the duration of our stay, and $20 hotel credit. I thought the place was nice. It does have an old school feel to it but they've done a good job at maintaining the grounds and renovating the rooms. Because it's an older property you can't expect the W, but it was clean and affordable. We arrived on Sunday afternoon after spending the day at Healdsburg. Check-in was a breeze and we were given a newly renovated room. The hallways were spic 'n span, and the room was a good size. The bathroom was fine, but you can tell they skimped a little on its renovation. While the room was nicely furnished and modern, the bathroom didn't have the same kind of touch.We had a view of the pool and planned on taking a dip but we were exhausted from our wine tasting and our 15 minute nap ended up being 2 hours. The next morning we requested a late check out of 12:30 then headed to the Montecito Heights Health Club (Please see my separate review for that). I got a massage while my husband worked out and then we headed back to the room to shower and gather our belongings. Upon check out they told us that we still had $13 in hotel credit so we grabbed a bite to eat at the Terrace Grill. The staff was friendly and the facilities were great. I just wish they had a section of the hotel that had pictures of the property during its heydey. I can see why it was a hot spot in the 60s. It would just be nice to see how it looked back then. If I see another deal I'd definitely get one again. This is a great get-away with lots of different things to do close by.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ensemble120

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Korean first
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

My friend and I decided to take advantage of the Living Social deal for a girls' trip in wine country.

Pros: The hotel is in a great location for exploring wine country, and really isn't that bad of a drive to San Francisco. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. I loved the retro feel of the place. There was a mini-fridge in the closet which was great for us to keep snacks. The front desk staff was friendly and one of the managers even helped us out with a map when we decided to drive out to the coast one day. The continental breakfast in the mornings was decent. Honestly, a clean room & bathroom is usually enough to please me, but I doubt I would stay here again if I had to pay full-price. That being said...

Cons: There weren't nearly enough electrical outlets in the room. This is the 21st century and there should be enough to charge any gadgets we might have. In our case, this included 2 phones, a camera & a Kindle. We were able to get creative on that front, though. The bathroom was quite tiny, but that didn't bother me so much as the fact that the fan seemed to only be there for decoration. It made more noise than anything. Also the water pressure left a lot to be desired, but then again if it doesn't feel like Niagara Falls, I complain about it. Our second night there, the air conditioning went out. We were offered a fan or a change of room, but decided to stick it out since the outside temp that night was in the 50s. It was promptly repaired the next day. The pool was nice, but didn't feel heated as advertised. Of course, this is coming from 2 Tennesseans who think it's too cold to swim in the 70s...not so in Northern CA apparently. There were A LOT of kids in the pool who were loud and splashly. Not really a lot we could do about that.

The weirdest thing that happened though was when my friend needed to get something from the room that she had forgotten when we went to the pool. She walked in the room to find a guy standing there talking to the housekeeper who was scrubbing our bathroom. He felt the need to tell my friend, "I'm just talking to her (the housekeeper)--not going through your underwear or anything." It creeped the both of us out. Unless he was there to fix something or to help her clean, he shouldn't have been in the room, period.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Jennifer C
Antelope, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

We bought a deal on Living Social for this hotel for a 2 night stay with a $20 dollar resort credit and health club passes, which normally cost $12 dollars a day. The room was very average with 2 double beds with old looking bathroom but nice shower. The carpet was stained, which was very unattractive. There was a nice flat screen tv but limited channels to watch. I would say the best part of the resort was the pool because it was large and had many tables and lawn chairs to relax on. The pool area was inviting, always clean, and well taken care of. They do have a health club which is located right next to the resort. It is small but clean and modern. There is a charge for the wireless internet access which you would assume they would provide free of charge for the prices they charge for a room (around $179 night). Within walking distance, there is a Safeway, CVS Pharmacy, and IHOP so that was nice. Overall, we would not stay in this hotel again without another Living Social type of deal because we thought it was overpriced for what was provided. When we chacked out, we did not receive our $20 dollar resort credit which we used at their restaurant but instead they ended up charging us an additional $20 dollars, but they did end up fixing it when we called the mistake out to them.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Michelle R
Hanford, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

On our road trip from Central California to Seattle, WA we ended up getting tired long before we had anticipated stopping for the night. I hopped onto tripadvisor and found this hotel with some good reviews.
The Flamingo hotel far exceeded our expectations for a last minute stop!
From the hip 1950's style charm to the spotless grounds with a heated Olympic pool...we were happy.
We spent the afternoon lounging by the pool, and taking dips in the hot tub. We then opted to eat at the hotel restaurant. It was nice because the kids could run around the very private grounds or swim while we waited for our food. The food was decent but it was very expensive. If your not tired I'd recommend going out to a nice dinner for the same price.
The rooms are clean but don't have any bells or whistles.
Overall, with kids in mind, this is the best set-up hotel I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed June 2012
Cheyenne, Wyoming
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

First off the Hotel looks pretty nice, with the throw back pink neon. The pool grounds were very nice as well. The rooms are large but dated, the room I had (I believe 2107) was the King suite with Handicap access shower. This is all fine except that the hotel is old enough that the ground has settled and lowered one side of the bathroom to be lower than the drain. Our room repeatedly flooded and we gave up calling the front desk to do something. The problem with Santa Rosa is I don't get the feeling that it really has any nice affordable business class hotels so you are stuck with what is available.

Room Tip: Avoid the Handicap King bed end suites.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank qsxhawk
Pacific Grove, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

We used this place as a base for a couple of days in wine country. It worked out very well. Santa Rosa is centrally located, and the town has a wonderful "Wednesday Night Market." The hotel, although built in the '50s, is kept up well. It has beautiful grounds with a big pool, Jacuzzi, and fitness center. The continental breakfast was excellent with a big selection of fruit pastries, bagels, and cereal. The staff is very helpful and accommodating. We will go there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
midwest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

The hotel is need of a hotel ranking change. It is more like a 2 1/2 star hotel. The rooms need updated. The hotel was busy when we stayed there. The bar was busy. We just needed a hotel room so it met that need but it wasn't a hotel I would desire to go back to just based on the hotel room. Also they charge for internet service so be prepared. Also the refrigerator is in the closet, tucked in the side wall. I found this odd. I got this hotel through priceline and paid only $68 per night for the room. So I feel I can't complain too much about the room. Yet if someone is paying full price, they should realize it is not a 3 star hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family