Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Perfect Launching Pad for Sonoma Winery Visits”
Review of Fountaingrove Inn

Fountaingrove Inn
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Reviewed December 1, 2006

This resort-style hotel provides warm welcome to road-weary traveler. The lobby is low-light and calming and probably will have cookies and beverage and fruit available. The front desk can provide folder to guests checking in that includes coupons for dining room and bar across the driveway as well as Sonoma area information. The bar had live piano music both of my visits, and it was superb. Perfect song choices and noise volume. The young female bartender is very friendly and helpful. Who would expect perfectly prepared prime beef as complimentary H'ors d'oeuvre during "happy hour" - Yum! The beds and pillows are superior - extra comfy. It was nice to have a couple bottles of water in room fridge. Bathroom not so luxurious, but Aveda products made up for it. Too cold for pool, but it was November! They have special rates at this time of year. I highly recommend this Inn.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
5  Thank ChiWind

Reviewed November 26, 2006

My wife and I wanted to visit wine country before the rains hit hard. We had never heard of the FountainGrove Inn, it was recommended to us by a winery owner in the town of Hopland, California.

I had made my reservations prior to reading tripadvisor reviews, so it made me a little skeptical when I read that the hotel did not seem to have personnel that would be able to help me with my winery selections. But we gave it a shot. The lobby area was really nice, the stone walls and "waterfall" are a nice compliment to the huge horse statue.

The beds were incredible. My wife asked the lady at the concierge desk where we could buy a bed like the one in the room, but she wasn't too sure. She only told her that they were Sealy brand. That made me even more skeptical about asking for advice on which wineries to visit, but my wife insisted. So our 2nd day at the Inn, I asked the front desk for suggestions, as no one was sitting at the Concierge Desk. The woman gave me a couple maps. I thought "is that all?", but then my wife asked if the concierge was in, or if there was anyone in particular that would be good with wineries. We found our help! She brought a young man out who took us to the concierge desk for nearly 30 minutes, going over various wineries and their amenities. And he asked US most of the questions. "What type of wines are you interested in?" "Are you looking for a tour, or just tasting?" "Did you want to do food pairings?", etc. We visited 6 of the wineries that were suggested, and they were perfect for what we wanted.

So here's my suggestions to anyone who stays at this inn: Don't just ask ANYONE about local information and expect to get what you want. Ask to speak with someone who can give SPECIFICS.

Other than the bed, the TV was the best thing in the room. A large flat screen we were told were put in every room. The guest services could use a little work, especially with the women at the front desk. Overall, it was an unexpectedly great stay, and I definitely plan on going back in the Spring.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank PhrostBox
Reviewed November 3, 2006

I agree with the most recent reviews that this was a wonderful hotel to stay in!

However, please know that this hotel is about a 1/2 hr drive from Napa Valley (There are a lot of wineries within a short drive from the hotel - and Santa Rosa is a beautiful city).

I also had a mix up with my reservation being booked for the wrong dates, but the staff was apologetic and the mixup was quickly resolved. They even honored the rate I had booked online for different dates.

The rooms were great.... We stayed in a suite and it was HUGE! The
decor was modern and the rooms were clean. The continental breakfast was more than enough. There are also apples all day long in the lobby and cookies at 4 pm every day.

The only downside was that the front desk staff appeared young (college age) and therefore did not have many recommendations about restaurants/ wineries.

Otherwise, a wonderful experience and I would definately recommend it/ stay there again!!!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SND76
Reviewed October 30, 2006

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank SharonLynne
Reviewed August 12, 2006

Great from start to finish. I had never stayed at the inn, and was pleased with their website. I tried to make a reservation, but they had no availability. So I called the hotel, and they were able to get me in.

Everyone in town was sold out except them and the Hilton, who was charging $70 more per night. Now I've stayed there, and it's not worth the money. But I think that the Fountiangrove has a lot of bang for your buck. The rooms were just renovated this year (so the front desk told me), and were very modern, with flat panel widescreens.

Now, I always read these reviews before I chose a hotel. There were a few bad ones, but after a 6 day stay, the biggest problem I had was running out of the bottled water that they put in your room. So maybe the problems that others spoke of are the exception to the rule???

I travel for a living, and let me tell you this: EVERY hotel makes mistakes. I've stayed at 5 star places and have had my reservation lost. Or the service was sub-par. Bottom line for the Fountaingrove is that I would definately return. Give the Equus a try...great food at a decent price!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
7  Thank socowhyno
Reviewed July 31, 2006

I made a reservation and received a confirmation number. Later they had no record of it so I had to rebook it.
Got to the hotel and they gave us the keys to an occupied room. They apologized and upgraded us. Nice except the next morning we found a bill under our door for the cost of the upgraded room. Went back to the front desk for the third time and finally got it straightened out. Others in our party had two reservations under their name when they booked only one. I wrote the General Manager and am still waiting for a reply two weeks later. Am not holding my breath. The accommodations are in no way 4-star, even the suite was hardly an upgrade.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Traveler6550
Reviewed April 5, 2006

My husband and I have stayed at FGI several times while visiting the wine country. We really like it. It is wonderful for business travellers. The rooms are clean and comfortable. During our last stay we had a suite which was spacious and well layed out.

The pool and whirlpool are relaxing after a day in the wine country and we love the bar.

The only down side is that the front desk staff often seem to be overwhelmed, untrained and not very knowledgable. But beside that we love the place.

We will be back in September.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business