“Great Stay!”
Review of Fountaingrove Inn

Fountaingrove Inn
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Reviewed August 9, 2009

We booked this hotel on travelzoo.com: had a junior suite for 99/night. it was a great deal. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was spacious, clean, and quiet. We drove the 30+ minutes to napa for a day and decided that it was too crowded and expensive. We should have just done all our wine tasting in sonoma: better values and a more enjoyable experience. This hotel was perfectly located in sonoma and was not too far from some decent restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PuraVida79
There are newer reviews for Fountaingrove Inn

Reviewed July 27, 2009

We got a great price for this hotel from Expedia, so can't complain about this. However, I think that many people are getting great deals from outside sites and this has impacted revenue for the property. It seemed like there was not enough staff to keep the hotel from being in top form. The front desk clerk was taking care of the pool area. I tend to focus on the cleanliness of a property and then base the rest of my reviews on the price paid for the stay.
Pros: Great location to the many wine areas, generous sized room, quiet enough

cons: Pool area was not clean. Cookie bits that were there at night were still there the next afternoon. Drink cups and cigarettes by the hottub, towels all over the place and very few new ones available. Hot tub had grease ring around it, deck chairs are wooden and no pads available, so very uncomfortable,. Fingerprints all over windows of doors, that were not cleaned the three days we were there. One of the lampshades in our room, had something caked onto it, only 2 towels of each type provided. As another traveller noted, the fitness room was very small, and still only 1 treadmill working. No room to do individual exercises.

We did ordered the calamari at the lounge and did not eat it. Not good. At least they commped us the food.

On the door there is a sign that states the property is a 4 diamond one. Perhaps it used to be, but I doubt the above complaints would be found in a 4 diamond property.
The hotel was fine, but if we were paying full price,I wouldn't be happy.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2009

We were here for one night. When we first got there, I was a little surprised for the hotel property is smaller than I thought. When, we checked in, I asked for a quiet room and I was offered to choose a 2nd floor or a ground floor room. I thought upstairs room should be better but then I found out the hotel backside parking is actually right outside the 2nd floor. I didn't think of switching room until I found out there was a used wet towel on the bathroom floor. Obviously the housekeeping person forgot to clean it up. When I told the front desk, the staff was nice to offer to switch room for us. This time I asked for a ground floor room facing the back, but no more available. We were offered the ground floor facing the front. Despite it to be closer to the roads, we didn't hear any traffic noise. The room was quiet even we are light sleepers. Best still, the bed was super comfortable that we had a best sound sleep.

Free internet is another plus. Very close to 101 and convenient.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank milku
Reviewed July 10, 2009

While I think the Fountaingrove might cater more to business travelers, we enjoyed our three-night stay while we were visiting wine country. For the price in this area, I think this is an excellent place to stay. The staff was friendly and helpful. The "downtown" area is nearby with town square and old-fashioned ambiance. This is a step above what you would expect for the price. We did not eat in the Equus restaurant connected to the hotel; I would recommend Josef's in Railroad Square for a nice, upscale meal. The only downside was that the exercise room was quite small with only one functional treadmill and not enough room for the weight machines.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2009

This hotel worked out perfectly for us in every way. We needed a room to acommodate three adults (mom, dad and adult son). We had great access to all of wine country and restaurants. It was generally quiet and a nice place to return home to; it felt very pastoral looking out to the field and red barn! The hotel was clean and service was great. The pool was a nice refresher after a long day of touring. Best of all, I felt that the value was great compared to other hotels.

• Stayed: June 2009
1  Thank Kaylyn09
Reviewed May 4, 2009

We arrived late at night and when we checked in we were told that they had a room with one king bed for us. I told them that I had called and confirmed two queen beds; the person at the front desk was really great he got us the room we wanted. We were also really hungry so he directed us to a few places that were open 24 hours. Our room was very clean, it was nice and big and we had a little fridge in room which was great for wine and snacks. We were on the main floor so i expected it to be noisy but it wasn't all that bad. We got a great rate on Expedia, I had to call in to make the reservation because I couldn't remember my password and I got another $30.00 discount for having to call. We got 3 nights for under $280.00 a bargain in that area for such a nice place. We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant, but I heard it is really good. The location was great a for visiting wine country we spent one day in Sonoma and one day in Napa . The staff was really great, we asked for directions, maps and even a cork screw and they were happy to help us with all of our requests. They also had a computer with a printer in the lobby, which was great for printing out boarding passes and coupons. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank lptsoccer
Reviewed May 1, 2009

We have stayed at the Fountaingrove twice - once in 2003 to attend a wedding there and once in February of 2007 when visiting relatives. The first stay was OK. The room was clean and nice, but not really worth the high price. But it was for a wedding and we were with the wedding party, so little choice there. In 2007 we chose to stay there because we were travelling with our two dogs and it was recommended on dogfriendly.com. Despite the fact that the power was out for most of our stay due to a traffic accident, we enjoyed it. Our room was large and luxurious. The dogs were fine. The staff was helpful. We decided this would be our place of choice the next time we returned to Santa Rosa. In March of 2009, we did return to Santa Rosa, but found that the Fountaingrove no longer accepts pets. We were disappointed, but that made it impossible to stay there. Instead, we stayed at the Best Western Garden Inn. It's not as fancy, but they are set up very nicely for people with pets and encourage it. So - sorry Fountaingrove, but we won't be there any more.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple