“Decent Enough”
Review of Fountaingrove Inn

Fountaingrove Inn
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Reviewed September 2, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed for 2 nights, and were satisfied for the most part. Our room had some obvious recent upgrades/renovations such as new bathroom tile, a new flat screen tv, a nice plush bed, and good quality sheets. The walls were quite thin (one night had to call front desk for extremely loud people next door, and the following night a new person's tv could be heard easily through the walls). Also, the shower head was dated, and the pressure left something to be desired. Overall a good experience, but not sure it was worth $290 a night? I haven't stayed anywhere else in the area, so I have no grounds for comparison.

Stayed: September 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 29, 2014

Can not give this hotel enough compliments. The staff are fabulous! The rooms are very nice.
But really its the staff that make your stay wonderful. It was great to come back and relax in the pool and hot tub.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2014

Ok, I ate the same thing three nights in a row, but the meal was so good, both at the restaurant and even room service, that I had to start by highlighting this fact. If you are thinking of staying or eating here, it is worth it, if for no other reason than to enjoy the brick chicken. I might obsess about this dish for years to come, and this comes after an entire summer of travel and culinary experiences including those in Italy and Spain. Well done Fountaingrove Inn, and please pass along my compliments to the chef (who I may be emailing for the recipe). Insane how good the food was.

The hotel itself is small, quaint, easy to find and lovely. The rooms are clean with nice decor. The pool is small, but really beautiful. It needs a good cleaning, but I like a really clean pool and this could use a scrub.

The hotel staff is exceptional. Upon arrival I discovered that the wifi didn't work well if at all, in the room. It was imperative that I have wifi, so they switched us to a jr. Suite. That was well done and much appreciated. They went out of their way to be sure we were accommodated.

My suggestion is that any hotel that advertises to business folks, should not ever have spotty wifi anywhere, especially the rooms. They admitted that some rooms had problems with getting a good signal. I would suggest they fix that, because this is irksome to travelers.

The other area that might need some work is air conditioning. It didn't work in either of the two rooms that we were in. I am sure it wasn't air conditioning at all, as no cold air ever blew out. Instead it is a fan. Fortunately, it cools off at night, but tonight like very night, we are having to sleep with the window wide open, no screens on the window etc. and the freeway traffic is enough to keep me awake at 3:30 a.m. I have come to discover that wifi and air conditioning are common issues with hotels and most of my complaints from my summer of travel had something to do with one or both of this issues. That said, the room I am in now has great wifi. Whoo hoo!

Whatever they lack in these areas though, they make up for in their attitude, which was very attentive, kind and eager to please. And that brick chicken eclipses all else. Seriously folks, it is insanely good.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2014

Professional attitude, clean, comfortable, convenient, very good breakfast for a hotel. Just very slightly worn looking but easily overlooked. Pool area was pleasant and clean. Quiet area and was a good choice

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank RailerGsxr
Reviewed August 12, 2014

My boyfriend and I are fans of this place. Centrally located, everywhere drove was 30 minutes or less through the beautiful California scenery and less than 10 minutes to downtown. We loved the hot tub and the hotel bar is fully stocked! We also thought the staff was very polite. The Hotel has a 1970s Vibe that we liked as well and was very clean. We would defiantly stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chelsey0529
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Flew to San Fran to visit my sister, and we wanted to visit Calistoga to soak in hot springs.There were no rooms to be had in Calistoga, so we picked Fountain Grove because its relatively strong TripAdvisor ratings.

Pros:
1. Very clean in the room
2. Has an outdoor pool
3. Friendly front desk staff

Cons:
1. The property could use some upgrades, such as new flooring in the common spaces. The carpets were stained.
2. As others have noted, there are no locks on the exterior doors or pool. This should be remedied immediately.
3. There were no towels at the pool, and it appears that the staff doesn't stock them there (perhaps because it's not locked?). Fix #2 and then #3.

I'd give it a B, and I'd stay there again in a pinch, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank DCmetrodogmom
jhayman79, General Manager at Fountaingrove Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2014

Dear DCmetrodogmom,

Thank you very much for your review, we certainly appreciate your feedback!

I've shared your comments with our staff, and we are currently in the process of addressing the concerns outlined in your review.

Again, thank you for your response. We look forward to serving you in the future!

Justin Hayman

Reviewed August 4, 2014

We had a suite and it was comfortable and clean. The staff was very helpful about the local area and directions. However, the hotel is a little past it's prime. This was evident in things like the lack of screens on the windows, lack of noise proofing - able to hear freeway noise at night - and stale smelling hallways. Had dinner at the restaurant on site and it was very good. I would stay here again for a short trip or business.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank RamblinDogs

Dear RamblinDogs,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to critique your recent visit. I certainly appreciate your feedback and am looking into your concerns.

Thank you for staying with us - we hope to have you back again very soon.

Justin Hayman