“Great Choice”

Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Eureka.Ca
“Great Choice”
Reviewed February 8, 2012

We just returned from a 2 night stay at Fountain Grove and were pleased with our stay. Even though we booked with an on-line discounter, we had a very nice deluxe King room and were treated courteously by the front desk personel. (I had previously called the hotel directly to confirm our reservation and to request a king room in the back away from highway noise) The room was spaciousd, spotlessly clean and tastefully decorated. The only minor flaw was the lighting and the split decorative mirror in the dressing area which made hair styling a bit of a challenge...there was a seperate make up mirror. The walls are a bit thin, but we had mostly quiet neighbors, so this was not a problem. I am not a fan of the single cup jave brew coffee maker, but it served the purpose. The biggest drawback was not having a microwave oven as I am on a very restricted medical diet so I could not bring many fo my pre-prepared foods. The hotel is in a good location and is comfortable and one of the better ones in the Santa Rosa area. The best feature of Foumtain Grove is it's oputstanding friendly and helpful front desk people. They all are young, friendly, helpful and have great restuarant recommendations. (Try Goji's for wonderful, made to order Chinese, Vietnamese food and Page's Place for a great home cooked breakfast. Both are small, one owner local favorites)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Spring Valley, California
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Stayed here for two nights while visiting family. Front desk is very helpful. The rooms are clean and up to date. Centrally located. Only criticism is that the glass door that goes from the parking lot to the 2nd floor is always unlocked ( even at night). Front desk says they can hear the door open from down below in the atrium, but I doubt this is true. This is a real security issue!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
NW Ohio
Reviewed January 18, 2012

We found the room to be very clean and comfortable. The front desk provided outstanding customer service. The location is close to wine country, so this was a plus.

However, be aware should you venture into the lounge. It is loud during happy hour since it appears to be popular with young professionals, and the bartender is not above adding his friends' drink on to your bar tab. Either watch your tab carefully, or pay cash for each drink.

We had extra alcoholic beverages added to our bill over two successive evenings.

The property has an excellent pool area which is a GREAT place to relaxing in the evening.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NWOhioGuy
Salinas, California
Reviewed January 13, 2012

The hotel was very clean, comfortable and reasonable. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The Manager went way out of his way to recommend wineries and great places to eat. He even followed up with a "thank you" note for staying at the Fountaingrove Inn....with that kind of personal touch, you bet I'll be back.

Room Tip: I think my room was like most other rooms, very quiet. Continental breakfast was included and it wa...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank mommywagner4095
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 9, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed a weekend at this hotel while in Santa Rosa for a concert at the Wells Fargo Theater and visiting the Charles Schulz museum. We got an excellent rate through Hotwire but did not know what to expect. We were given an extremely warm greeting by Chris (head concierge) who clearly loves his job and providing information about restaurants and activities in the area.

We really liked the hotel's decor, including the horse theme. The room was quite big, with ample amenities and a sliding glass door that open just enough to allow for fresh air.

We had a fantastic dinner at the hotel's Equus restaurant.

We will certainly stay here again the next time we are in the area.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RyanClary
San Francisco
Reviewed January 3, 2012

We booked a reservation through Expedia for a Christmas Eve stay in a King Suite at Fountaingrove Inn. At the time I made the reservation, the $209 rate I paid for the suite was over $100 more for the suite than a standard (AKA "deluxe") room, which was around $97. When we arrived to check in at around 5 PM, the hotel parking lots were empty and the place seemed basically deserted. I went to the front desk, where a large sign informed me that I was talking with the hotel "concierge," whose name I unfortunately cannot recall. When I gave him my name and told him I was there to check in, he informed me that my reservation was for a deluxe room. I politely informed him that was incorrect, and that my reservation was for a suite. He condescendingly told me that when guests book through Expedia, the reservation is always for a deluxe room. He told me that he would check to see how much it would cost to upgrade my reservation to a suite. When I protested that I had reserved a suite and had paid substantially more for a suite than a standard room, his outrageous response was that no matter how much I paid, reservations made through Expedia (and Hotwire) reserve only a standard/deluxe room. Excuse me? After some back-and-forth discussion on this point, Mr. Concierge condescendingly said he would call someone to find out if he could, "as a courtesy," give us the suite that we had reserved and paid for. Fortunately, whoever Mr. Concierge called consented, and we were given the suite, but I am still upset by the bad experience.

Adding insult to injury, it turned out that the hotel really was virtually empty. The large parking lot for the wing of the hotel that we stayed in had only one other car in it. Why hassle a guest over charging them to upgrade to a suite when there is plenty of space available? Why hassle a guest for a hotel/Expedia mistake anyway?

I am not sure if this was a scam, or if the "concierge" is just a terrible hospitality professional, but in any event we will never stay there again.

Otherwise, the hotel was ok. The suite was very clean. Decently furnished but very stark, as if the decorator had been going for a chic minimalist look but fell a bit short. It was very quiet, but I am not certain whether that was because the hotel was empty or because it is well constructed. The hotel's plumbing needs to be upgraded-- it takes 2-3 minutes to get hot water.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank NorCalNative
San Jose, California
Reviewed December 28, 2011

This hotel is located right at the foot of Fountaingrove Ave and is a great place to stay if you are doing business in the Fountaingrove/Round Barn Ave area. The rooms are spacious and are not too cluttered with useless stuff. The pool is a bit small, though useable for swimming laps.

The restaurant has a happy hour on weekdays from 4:30 - 6:30, which is a great deal. I would stay there again if I'm up in the area.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business