“Not what you'd expect from a hilton”

Hilton Sonoma Wine Country
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
GreenLeadersGold level
Mendocino
“Not what you'd expect from a hilton”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I have stayed here several times on business the last three years and am sorry to say service has gone downhill and I won't be staying here again. Half the time the front desk staff welcome silver members with bottled water and half the time they won't give it to you unless you ask, even though this is a benefit this hotel offers.Several rooms no longer have privacy curtains, including the one I got this week, which fronts the parking lot so folks can easily see into the room if you open the curtains to get air and light. The clocks are often off and can not be adjusted except by the engineer. And the staff can't seem to handle any special requests. Twice I have called from home to ask if a refrigerator could be in the room when I was going to arrive late and both times was told that was fine but no refrigerator was there on arrival. Room service has put me on hold in the morning while the person answering goes to find a pen! Once I asked for maid service by 11 am because my honey was going to arrive after a long drive and needed a nap; he got to the room at 1 pm and it had not been made up. These are not huge issues but the inconsistency and lack of attention are not what I have come to expect from a Hilton. There is very little soundproofing so try to stay on the top floor, otherwise you will hear the upstairs folks easily. On the plus side, beds are comfortable.

Room Tip: Stay on top floor unless you want to hear clomping from room above.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
HiltonSonomaWineCtry, General Manager at Hilton Sonoma Wine Country, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for providing such detailed feedback from your recent visit. We are disappointed to read about the issues you outlined, and extend our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience and frustration you encountered. Your comments will be shared with our entire team so that we may review our service commitment. Our valued guests’ comfort and satisfaction continue to be our top priority and we hope you will reconsider a future stay the next time you have a business trip.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Korean first
CA, United States
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I enjoyed my stay and the staff was very helpful and friendly. I was a little surprised about my guest room. It seemed a little tarnished. Some of the furniture was very worn out. The shower also had hair that was not mine. I did not complain about that because there was just a few strands and I was at a work conference so I had to leave my room right away. By the time I got back to my room I was so tired I just went to bed. I've stayed at many brand hotels and for the price I paid for the second night I good have stayed somewhere much cleaner and updated. My over-all experience was nice but I was not impressed with the hotel rooms. The bar and pool area was very nice so that was a plus.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

1 Thank Kimberly Y
HiltonSonomaWineCtry, General Manager at Hilton Sonoma Wine Country, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
We’re glad you enjoyed your overall visit, and that you appreciated our bar and pool areas. However, it is regrettable that your stay wasn’t completely satisfying in all ways, and that our housekeeping services didn’t impress you. We would have liked the opportunity to address any concerns you had immediately, for we are committed to providing the best in customer service. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you experienced, and we hope you will allow us to impress you at a future stay.
SANTA CLARA, United States
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Nice hotel for a quick get away to Santa Rosa. Employees were all very friendly and helpful. Beds were comfortable. Room was clean. Hallway outside of the room was a little musty but overall good experience.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

HiltonSonomaWineCtry, General Manager at Hilton Sonoma Wine Country, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Sounds like your recent stay with Hilton Sonoma Wine Country Hotel perfectly met your needs, and that makes us happy. We are so glad you found our staff so friendly and that they helped you whenever you needed. Our Housekeeping associates will be gratified to hear that you enjoyed your clean, comfortable room. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We would love to welcome you back when you are in the Santa Rosa area again!
Bay View, WI
Reviewed April 16, 2014

This hotel is set in a beautiful area overlooking Santa Rosa. Easy access off the highway. The staff was friendly (most) and the hotel clean. Unfortunately all the units are not connected to the lobby and on a rainy day you are going to be wet if you need to get to the lobby or restaurant. I thought that was kind of a strange set up, but maybe not in sunny Cali.
I like how they put a "wine" twist on the hotel, also having bottles of wine available in your room was something we liked.
Clean grounds and ample parking. The only negatives I can think of were the work out room was closed due to painting I believe, and we had trouble getting out room cleaned before 1PM. Overall we had a nice experience.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
We so appreciate you took the time to let us know of your positive experience at the Hilton Sonoma Wine Country Hotel. Our location is truly spectacular, and we’re glad you enjoyed our amazing view as well as the wine in your guest room. Maintaining the beauty of our property is an ongoing process, but we apologize if you were inconvenienced when seeking to access our fitness facilities. Our housekeeping staff works hard to freshen every guests’ room and clean each day and we hope you weren’t too inconvenienced. We hope you will come again soon.
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Although this property is near to downtown Santa Rosa it has something of a country club feel to it.The main building houses the reception area and the restaurant and the accommodation is provided in 5 or 6 standalone buildings of wooden construction.
On arrival we were warmly welcomed and invited to partake of the complimentary wine, cheese and fruit on offer. Our accommodation was in the Reisling building where the room was large, the bed comfortable with soft pillows. The heated outdoor pool was nearby. We also availed of breakfast in the restaurant, good value for all you can eat continental style for $12.
The only slight negative was that we could hear the footsteps of the occupants of the room above us which can be quite annoying late at night or early morning. Best to ask for a second floor bedroom

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind comments of the Hilton Sonoma Wine Country Hotel. We are glad you made use of our numerous amenities and enjoyed the luxurious hospitality we provide. The wine and cheese at check in is so welcome to our guests after their travels. Our ample breakfast buffet is a great way to start a full day of wine country activities! We hope you will visit us again soon.
Mansfield, Texas
Reviewed April 12, 2014

I will be traveling to this hotel next week, but if the customer service is any indication I picked a good one. Long story short - I booked through a third party and tried to change my arrival date. After getting no where with the third party or with Hilton reservations, I called the front desk. Within a minute they changed my reservation and gave me no grief. It is nice to know that there are people in the hospitality industry that understand the meaning of the word. I look forward to reviewing my stay.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
HiltonSonomaWineCtry, General Manager at Hilton Sonoma Wine Country, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
What a lovely review, thank you! It is always our goal to provide the very best in all ways and place a very high standard on service and hospitality. We are delighted our associates were able to quickly and efficiently take care of your reservation needs and we look forward to your arrival at the Hilton Sonoma Wine Country Hotel.
Sacramento, United States
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Although I did not partake, those was look like a couple of choices of wine in the room and a lengthy wine list. They have a reasonable menu in room service and fast service. All-in-all, a very pleasant stay

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

At the Hilton Sonoma Wine Country Hotel, we are indeed known for our extensive selection of the best local wines. Thank you so much for sharing your impressions of our hotel, we are delighted you enjoyed a pleasant stay. It is our hope that you will come back again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Rosa
Best Western Plus Garden Inn
Best Western Plus Garden Inn
#5 of 25 in Santa Rosa
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sonoma Wine Country

Been to Hilton Sonoma Wine Country? Share your experiences!