“Comfortable stay in convenient location”

Hilton Sonoma Wine Country
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
GreenLeadersGold level
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Comfortable stay in convenient location”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel features nicely sized rooms that are clean, well-furnished and comfortable. The hotel charges for Wi-Fi access, and the on-site food is on the expensive side, but tasty.

The property is not walking distance to restaurants, but a quick car drive downtown serves up a plethora of options for meals.

The fitness facility on site can be crowded in the mornings, and when I visited one of the treadmills was down, creating high demand for in the fitness room. If you are a runner, a good morning workout can be had by running up the hill and back, just in time for sunrise. If hitting the gym before a day of wine tasting or work, make sure to arrive early.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the main lobby for quicker access to the onsite restaurant, if needing to grab a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HiltonSonomaWineCtry, General Manager at Hilton Sonoma Wine Country, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for sharing feedback of your stay at the Hilton Sonoma Wine Country Hotel. From your clean, well-appointed guestroom all the way to breakfast the next day at Nectar, we couldn’t be happier to know you enjoyed such a terrific getaway. With over 7 miles of walking and running trails available here, fitness lovers always appreciate the beautiful landscape while keeping in shape and we are glad you agree! It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Korean first
Encinitas, California
Reviewed March 11, 2013

First of all, don't be deceived by the name of the hotel. Sonoma itself is quite a distance from the hotel. When I called the hotel, I was told there was several restaurants within walking distance, but this is not the case. The hotel restaurant and lounge, Nectar, is quite nice, albeit pricey, as is the norm for both Hilton and wine country. The bartender, however, needs to know when to cut off patrons, as we were accosted several times in the lounge by people who had a few too many. Rooms were decent, on par for Hilton, but this property must have either had a sale on its rooms, or simply caters to the less civilized, as its clientele was, for the most part, rather sketchy.
My biggest complaint, though, was the upkeep of the property, and the layout of the smoking sections. Trash on the ground was constant throughout our two day stay. I did complain once to the front desk about a McDonalds bag with leftover food inside on the sidewalk outside our section, only to come back later and see that, although the McDonald's bag was gone, another fast food bag with ITS contents strewn about had taken its place. I also fail to understand why management puts its smoking cans right at the entrances of each building. Everytime I exited or entered a building, either I had to walk right through someone's smoke, or had to smell the reek of the ashtray.
This particular Hilton simply did not live up to the normally high standard I ususally experience at Hilton properties, even the lower end ones.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughtful observations regarding recent stay with us. Whether positive or otherwise, it is critical for us to receive feedback from our guests, so that we can continually take the opportunity to evaluate our service and make improvements when needed. It is disappointing that your entire stay was not completely positive and that you were troubled in any way by trash that you encountered. Please know that the matters you have mentioned will be discussed with our Housekeeping associates to ensure that all is at its best. We apologize for any missed opportunities to make your stay exceptional and hope to be able to welcome you back in the future, thank you for your review.
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

This place is pretty nice and through Priceline.com I got a pretty good deal so I shouldn't be complaining. But had I paid full price I might have had some complaints but nothing that would keep me from coming back. The rooms were clean, they didn't stink, room service was fast although if you are expecting cranberries on your CRANBERRY turkey sandwich bring a magnifying glass. They put like three dried cranberries on each half(WTH)? The beds were great. The lights didn't work right in the bedroom and I had to Mickey Mouse rig the switch. But it was a comfortable stay and if I had to go back up if I could get the discounted price I would go again.

• Stayed March 2013
HiltonSonomaWineCtry, General Manager at Hilton Sonoma Wine Country, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. While we are always pleased to know that our guests have enjoyed a comfortable stay at a good value, we must apologize if you were in any way disappointed by your in-room dining experience or if you were troubled by any maintenance issues. We urge everyone to let us know if there is anything we can do to make their stay more comfortable and we apologize if we were not given the opportunity to do so while you were here, when it would have mattered the most. Your feedback will be shared with our maintenance team to ensure that everything is in its best working order. We value your feedback.
Camarillo, California
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for the 1st weekend barrel tasting on the Sonoma Wine Road. As a loyal Hilton Honors member I was attracted to the rate for a resort like property. When we arrived after our first day my wife and I approached the front desk for check in. The young man behind the counter was affable but did not welcome me as an honors member when he found my reservation. He did not offer us the two bottles of water as a Silver level member as well as neglected to let us know of the amenities of the property. For example, there is complimentary coffee in the lobby in the mornings and I had to figure that out on my own.

There have been several reviews that the lobby is a distance from the rooms. This is true, but folks there are parking spots by the lobby where you can stop to check in then return to your vehicle and drive down the road to your building. However, the hike to get there for complimentary coffee was a bummer but walking is good for the heart. There is a heated pool and whirlpool centrally located. As part of the pool area is the fitness center with several machines, bikes, etc.

We booked a standard room. The size of the room is comfortable especially if you receive a room with one of the bay windows. If they can possibly tell this at the front desk, ask if you can have a room with the bay window. They also offer rooms with patios or as they call it a lanai that overlook the pool area. If you want to spend the extra money; these rooms offer a nice amenity that allows you to sit outside on a nice evening and enjoy a bottle of wine.

I will say the rooms are in need of an upgrade; for example, our room had a TV hutch where the doors of the hutch were removed to accommodate the flat screen TV. There was also a huge stain what I can only assume is a wine spill on the carpet by the bed. There are products that will remove the stain or maintenance could cut and splice the carpet. In any case, I think they could take care of this little issue. I did feel the rooms and overall public areas of the hotel are clean.

The litmus test for me is, would I recommend this hotel or will I stay here in the future. The answer is yes, this hotel has easy freeway access, the rooms are clean, room bathrooms are bigger than average, and it is short drive to downtown. The best part of the location is the proximity to wine country.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Barrel Tasting Weekends are such an exciting time here in Wine Country and we are honored that you chose to stay at the Hilton Sonoma Wine Country Hotel for your getaway. We always value our guests’ feedback and learning what aspects of our property they enjoy and we particularly appreciate knowing you enjoyed our location as well as our spacious comfortable accommodations. Please accept our apologies if you were not made aware of the additional amenities while checking in. We will be sure to share your comments with all of our associates. Thank you for sharing your comments, it would be our pleasure to welcome you back again.
Norwood, MA
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We had booked two rooms for seven nights while we were in the area for wine tasting and were very happy with our experience. I used to travel a lot of work, so I am a Hilton Diamond member (well that actually ended today, so now I have no status!). I have stayed at many hotels and it is hit or miss whether I actually get an upgrade or not, but this hotel was nice enough to upgrade both my rooms to the Executive Suites in the Riesling building and give me free breakfasts for both rooms. Very much appreciated. Both rooms were very large and the bed was very comfortable.

We did go to breakfast every morning and there was definitely a good spread. And if you didn't like the buffet, you could order up to a certain amount of the real menu which I thought was nice. My guests really loved that you could get Starbucks coffee there. We also ate dinner at the restaurant one night and the other room got room service one night and we were all very happy with the food.

We had no problems with noise, even though there must have been a hockey tournament in town because there seemed to be several teams staying there. There was one time that we were pulling into the parking lot and a group of them were playing in the lot. They basically refused to move and stared our car down and then started yelling at us as we tried to get by.

Our shower didn't drain well the first morning we were there and we told the front desk as we left from breakfast and someone was at our door within 20 minutes to fix it. The air conditioner wasn't working and he fixed that immediately too.

It is a great location for wine tasting, can easily hit the different areas of Sonoma valley with a short drive. I went running several days while we were there and there were sidewalks to get around. If you like beer, Russian River Brewing Company, less than 10 minutes away, can't be missed. Whole Foods in Santa Rosa also had a Tap Room in the store and they had a good collection of craft beers on tap.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tasha C
HiltonSonomaWineCtry, General Manager at Hilton Sonoma Wine Country, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Excellent is one of our favorite words! We couldn’t be happier to learn that your stay at the Hilton Sonoma Wine Country Hotel was so positive. From your appreciation for your upgraded suite accommodations to breakfast dining experience at Nectar Restaurant, excellent service is our highest priority and we are glad we were able to meet your expectations during your 7-day stay. With access to over 330 area wineries and vineyards, our hotel is the ideal location to enjoy it all and our 7 mile paved running trail enables guests to delight in the great outdoors right on our property. Thank you for your feedback, we hope to see you again soon.
Dublin, California
Reviewed March 1, 2013

The hotel facility was nice but the room was older. Very dusty furniture and housekeeping was poor with spotty glasses, no refill on toilet paper and sheets not changed only made the bed for our three day stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rick D
While it seems that you enjoyed some aspects of your stay, we certainly must apologize if you found anything amiss in your guestroom. We are always grateful for all feedback so that we may address any issues as they arise and would like to thank you for bringing your comments to our attention. The matters you mentioned will be shared with our housekeeping associates to ensure that all areas are at their best. It is our hope that you will return again so that we can continue to provide you with the type experience that you deserve as our valued guest, thank you.
california
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We checked in to the Hilton around 2pm. There was a long line of persons, however, as soon as the staff noticed the line, extra personnel were called and began assisting those of us waiting in line. Check in was quick and efficient. We had purchased a package deal through a 3rd party vendor which included wine tasting to two local wineries and a $25 credit in the hotel restaurant/lounge. We enjoyed the wine tasting, then returned to the hotel and used our $25 voucher in the bar for cocktails prior to dinner. After dinner we returned to our room which was located on the first floor and included two queen beds, flat screen t.v., mini fridge, coffee maker w/ coffee/tea service. Beds were very comfortable (as I have come to expect from the Hilton chain). Our room had a lanai which led to and overlooked the pool area. Because the weather was so pleasant, we left the sliding glass door open all night. In the morning I sat outside on one of the patio chairs enjoying the quiet. The only complaint we had was being woken up at 5 am by the occupant in the room upstairs directly above us. Apparently someone was allowing their children to run back and forth around their room. This continued until 9 am, when we left to get breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Breakfast was on the deck overlocking the hotel property. It was a lovely view and we enjoyed the buffet breakfast. The rooms are separated from the main hotel lobby and are in two separate wings which may be inconvenient if there was inclement weather. Other than our inconsiderate upstairs neighbor, it was a nice stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your stay at the Hilton Sonoma Wine Country Hotel. We always love to hear from our guests and learn about what they enjoyed while they are here. Savoring the refreshing evening air from the doors to your lanai deck sounds wonderful and our bedding is always a comfort that many of our guests appreciate while staying. We must apologize, however, if sounds from other guests was of any disruption to your rest. Please know that our guests' comfort is of utmost importance and we always urge everyone to let us know what we can do to make their stay a more enjoyable experience. Thank you for your feedback, we hope you will consider staying with us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Rosa
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sonoma Wine Country
Vintners Inn
Vintners Inn
#2 of 25 in Santa Rosa

Been to Hilton Sonoma Wine Country? Share your experiences!