“Great value for money”

Hilton Sonoma Wine Country
Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed there overnight for Thanksgiving weekend. Clean, nice, well equipped and with friendly staff. Breakfast was good with a terrific view of the Sonoma valley. Only things lacking for a microwave and mini fridge in the room but overall terrific value for money at $119 / night.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
HiltonSonomaWineCtry, General Manager at Hilton Sonoma Wine Country, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Thank you for sharing the Thanksgiving holiday with us and providing feedback of your stay the Hilton Sonoma Wine Country Hotel. From your clean, well-appointed guestroom all the way to breakfast the next day at Nectar overlooking some of Sonoma Wine Country’s beautiful countryside, we couldn’t be happier to know you enjoyed such a terrific getaway. Refrigerators are available upon request. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back again.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Sonoma Wine Country

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed overnight Thanksgiving evening. The hotel seemed understaffed and/or in need of customer service management training. At 9:15 pm, stood at the front desk for 10 minutes. One family ahead of us, who could not remember what names they made their reservations under. Other front desk person was on an extended phone call. 10 minutes later, finally was checked in. No acknoledgment of Hilton Honors Diamond status. Room was a Jr. Suite 3311, very spacious. Furnishings were comfortable. Main drawback was the air conditioning system. The fan was extremely noisy, with the walls vibrating when on the lowest setting. Thus had to turn the fan off and on during the night to cool down the room. Windows would not open. Was inable to get a good night's rest. Would not stay again or recommend to friends and family. Restaurant was overwhelmed at 9am for guests. Breakfast buffet was good, outdoor seating comfortable. Overall this hotel could utilize a greater number of staff at front desk and at Nectar restaurant

Room Tip: Inquire about rooms without A/C noise.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonSonomaWineCtry, General Manager at Hilton Sonoma Wine Country, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

It is truly disappointing to learn that your experience at our hotel was not more accommodating. It is our ultimate goal to create a comfortable and pleasant stay for all our guests and we wish we had had the opportunity to address any issues you experienced while you were here. Please accept our most sincere apologies for any issues you had with regard to the service you received upon check in as well as the air conditioning unit in your guestroom. Your comments will be shared with everyone here to ensure that all of our associates are adhering to the policies of excellent hospitality and service we have in place. We hope to regain your trust in the future by letting us welcome you back again. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife & I crashed here using points after going on a North Bay beer tour (Thanks North Bay Brewery Tours!). The location was ideal for our travels and the hotel was very clean and perfect for our needs. It was a pity we weren't able to stay longer than the few hours we were there to sleep...the pool looked really nice...and the spa was out of service anyway.

Room Tip: Get a room near the pool.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bjhoberg
HiltonSonomaWineCtry, General Manager at Hilton Sonoma Wine Country, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

A beer tour in Sonoma Wine Country is certainly a unique experience! Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your stay at the Hilton Sonoma Wine Country Hotel. While your visit may have been brief, we are glad to know you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back for a longer visit soon.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

There are many great options in the area, but at the price point it's tough not to keep returning to this property. This is my second stay here. First stay was on one night on route to other destinations in wine country. This time we stayed for three nights. Despite chilly temperatures, we were still able to enjoy the outdoor dining at Nectar's - the hotel's on site wine bar and restaurant - and hot tub even with frost on the deck chairs. The fitness room opening well before 6 am was just what an east coaster who was not adapting to the time change needed. The rooms are not fancy but very comfortable.

Room Tip: Obviously the patio rooms are a bit of a premium but they are very convenient to the pool area and i...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
HiltonSonomaWineCtry, General Manager at Hilton Sonoma Wine Country, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

We love to be your regular stop in Sonoma Wine Country! With comfortable accommodations and an excellent dining experience at Nectar, it seems you enjoyed so much of your stay. What a fantastic picture you have painted of enjoying a dip in the steaming hot tub on a cool evening. Thank you for providing feedback regarding your stay at the Hilton Sonoma Wine Country hotel. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We recently spent 3 nights here.. It was a great take-off location for us to visit the wine areas of both Sonoma and Napa. The hotel was booked through Priceline (we bid on it and got a great price). The hotel complex has several buildings and we were in the Zinfindel building. Since we didn't check out the other buildings I don't know if they were all the same or not. First off, the bed was awesome. It was extremely comfy and we both enjoyed great sleep. The room was quite large and the bathroom was great. As a woman, I really appreciate having a bathroom that has good lighting and vanity/counter space for applying makeup and this hotel had it. Huge fluffy towels were also a nice touch. The staff at the desk were helpful and friendly in helping us locate some of the wineries we wanted to visit. There is a room down the hall from the lobby with computers that guests can use as well as a printer if you need one. Since we had a special rate, breakfast was not included, but there are several places nearby where you can dine in, a large supermarket if you simply want to pick up food to go or places like Panera Bread and Whole Food. Whole Food has a small breakfast buffet with hot food items and an eating area. So, breakfast was certainly not a problem. We went to downtown Santa Rosa once for dinner and were underwhelmed. While there is some charm to the downtown area, we didn't find restaurants that seemed to appeal to our taste buds as well as pocketbooks. The question my husband and I keep asking each other is: here we are in the middle of some of the most fabulous wine areas in the world and a glass of wine - even mediocre wine - costs upwards of $8 a glass? Maybe that's just us. The hotel has a nice pool area and one day before going out for dinner, we sat at the pool with a glass of wine from a bottle we had purchased at a winery and watched the sunset.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Zinfindel building and it was really nice and quiet. Actually, the entire hotel is...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonSonomaWineCtry, General Manager at Hilton Sonoma Wine Country, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Relaxing poolside with a glass of wine to watch the sunset sounds like the perfect way to end a full day in Wine Country! It is always our pleasure to comfortably accommodate our guests at the Hilton Sonoma Wine Country Hotel and we greatly appreciate you sharing details of your stay as well as the surrounding area. From our spacious comfortable guestrooms to helpful service, it seems as if you were able to enjoy much of what we have to offer. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back for your next trip.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

On a 3 night stay as a "Mini-Honeymoon" for my new wife and I, I unfortunately witnessed more execution problems than I have on virtually any hotel experience I've ever had. Unfortunately the attempts to rectify the situation with unsatisfactory and halfhearted.

After arriving at the hotel at midnight, extremely exhausted after our wedding, on Sunday night Oct 28, we finally fell asleep (no upgrade was offered from the room we purchased, although I'm a Gold member. I was also not welcomed or recognized as a Gold member). at 7AM we were awakened abruptly by 4 extremely loud buzzes from the speaker system in the room (ostensibly a malfunction of the fire or other alarm system). When I alerted the manager, I had to convince her that it had actually occurred. No special attempts to offer consolation were made. Now up, we tried to watch TV. The remote didn't work. We had to call again to get that resolved, and after 30 minutes, we finally had someone provide batteries in the remote control.

The manager then offered a comped breakfast room service as a consolation. We ordered, and multiple execution issues again surfaced. There was no cream cheese with the bagel. There was no butter with the waffles, a small issue compared to the fact that it was so cold and stiff that our knife failed to cut a bite, much less a fork. No spoons to stir the coffee, so we had to use forks. It took 6 calls and repeated people coming to our room to finally resolve, at which time we were offered a mimosa each as an appeasement, by the room service attendant, not by the manager or the restaurant or the hotel. Until then the staff members on the other end of the line simply seemed less than welcoming -- I was hurried impatiently by the room service staff while giving my order and often felt as if everyone thought they were doing me a favor by speaking with me.

After a few hours, we decided to take a shower. Surprise -- there was no hot water. At this point, we merely smiled and wondered what else could go wrong, and resolved to remember the experience as one of those "National Lampoon" moments we'd always remember.

Also -- my bedside lamp didn't work so I couldn't read at night.

Generally, while the staff answered the phone promptly, I felt generally that everything took forever to resolve, and while the overall rest of the experience was relatively uneventful, that's the best I could say about it.

Definitely not a Hilton-quality experience, not worth the predominant pricing on Kayak, Hotels.com and elsewhere of ~$200 / night and certainly substandard compared to other Somona hotels. I have to strongly recommend not staying here.

I wish I'd paid for the room instead of using miles -- so I could make the reasonable case to get my money back.

On the positive side: the serving staff in the Nectar restaurant were very pleasant at breakfast, and the breakfast burrito (with some tweaks) was one of the best I've ever had.

2  Thank Rishi G

Congratulations on your recent nuptials. It certainly concerns us to read your comments, as it is our hope to create the ultimate experience for everyone. However this feedback means so much as it helps us to strengthen our commitment to providing the best service to all of our guests. We would like to thank you for allowing us to resolve some of your concerns during your stay by providing you with an upgrade to our Junior Executive suite and complimentary breakfast. Your loyalty to the Hilton brand is of great value and since your experience with us, we have issued Hilton Honors points in the equivalent of one night's stay. We truly hope that we can regain your trust in the future.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

I booked our room a couple of days earlier in person and let the front desk know it was our wedding night. When we walked in to check in after being married that after noon no one was at the front desk. We waited for a little bit until finally someone walked out to check us in. My new wife and I were tired and still in our wedding attire (my wife wearing her Wedding Dress and I in my full Army Dress Blues) were given our room key after some confusion at the front desk. We found our room and walked in to find that it was NOT what I reserved. I was given a room with two full beds not the king that payed for. I tried to call the front desk only to be directed to some main reservation service. We then thought that they gave us the wrong room on accident and went to the front desk again. The front desk personnel then informed me that earlier that day they had a room malfunction. The front desk told me that the two full beds were the only ones left and that they were sorry. I never received a phone call and or ever offered a upgrade. This hotel ruined a once in a lifetime event that I can never re-do and will never recommend to stay in this hotel ever. The reservation/front desk people could careless about how they treat there guests and were very rude. This was on 10/2012 around 10PM

Room Tip: Don't stay here on your wedding night or a romantic get away. They will give you the wrong room...
3  Thank Craig R
HiltonSonomaWineCtry, General Manager at Hilton Sonoma Wine Country, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Marriage is such a momentous occasion and while we are truly honored to know you chose to stay with us for your special time, we couldn't be more disappointed to learn of your experience. Thank you for reaching out to us through Guest Assistance and for giving us the opportunity to achieve an amenable resolution. For the benefit of others, we do try to honor a room type request on every reservation, but each booking is confirmed to ensure a room for the night, regardless of extenuating circumstances. We can understand your disappointment though, and hope that we will exceed your expectations on your next visit. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and best wishes to you both. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the Hilton Sonoma Wine Country Hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Rosa
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sonoma Wine Country
Vintners Inn
Vintners Inn
#2 of 25 in Santa Rosa

Been to Hilton Sonoma Wine Country? Share your experiences!