“Front desk”

Best Western Plus Wine Country Inn & Suites
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Did not have a good experience with the front desk people (not very friendly, or helpful). The maids are awesome they offered me water and clean towels and asked if I needed something. The pool is clean, warm nice and we enjoyed it very much. The location is great because is close to the shopping center and gas stations etc. We also liked the breakfast the guy who works there is nice and keeps everything clean and organized. The eggs are delicious and they have chocolate milk that my kids love.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lucero249
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Wine Country Inn & Suites

Reviewed July 27, 2012

The hotel is in a convenient location, and the lobby is nice. The hotel has exterior corridors, but that in and of itself is not a big deal. Once we got to the room, however, we were disappointed. The furniture, although it looked new, was dented and broken. One drawer didn't hang straight and everything was scratched. The wall near the sink had a lot of dried splatters that looked like cola. The TV was pretty old, and one of the sheets had a coffee cup stain. The wall and the ceiling had other stains, and one hole in the molding was sloppily covered up with duct tape and plaster. The balcony had no furniture. Especially in the summer, it would have been really nice to have. Since our room was over a shrub, there was no safety hazard.

The breakfast had a lot of choices and most were good. The biscuits were really stale, but most of the other bread was okay. The kids enjoyed the automatic pancake maker.

Since we were just spending the night, we didn't need anything fancy, but it would be nice if the room headless visible wear and flaws. A lot of the construction was just sloppy. I'd see what else is in the area before choosing this hotel.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We spent six days here while my husband played in the annual Snoopy hockey tournament. The hotel is located just a few minutes drive from the Snoopy arena and is convenient to the freeway entrance but not so close that you hear traffic. There’s a gas station and some restaurants and shopping opposite the hotel, and you’ll find a Trader Joe’s supermarket just along the street.

Rooms are slightly oddly shaped and may be a little dark, depending on location (the sun never seemed to reach ours), but they’re comfortable and nicely furnished, with a good wifi connection, and the housekeeping staff did a great job of sprucing things up every day. We were on the upper floor and were a little surprised to find that our balcony had no seats and that the view to the pool was blocked by a lime tree. However, as we didn’t get any sun, it’s unlikely we’d have sat out even if there had been seats, and this very private space turned out to be ideal for stowing my husband’s hockey bag and all our camping gear, coolers, etc., that we didn’t want to leave in the car.

A hot breakfast is included in the rate. It alternates between bacon or sausage patties and scrambled eggs or omelettes, so you pretty much know what to expect on any morning. We eat gluten-free so had no interest in things like biscuits and gravy or baked goods, but there’s plenty of that available, and you’ll also find fresh fruit, yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, cream cheese and milk.

The pool is a comfortable temperature, and there are lots of tables, chairs and chaises longues.

The location is convenient for tennis at Santa Rosa Junior College (pay for parking but not for courts) and day trips to Napa and Sonoma Valley wineries and San Francisco.

2  Thank Tripsterchick
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I stayed at this motel for 2 nights, and I had several problems:
1) When I arrived, there was a large hamper with dirty linen in front of my door.

2) While I was asleep, the motion sensor lights on the switch started blinking which woke me up. The hotel fix was to put scotch tape over the light switch.

3) The last straw was when the toilet clogged and it took more than 30 minutes for someone to come and unclog it.

I understand that this was not the Ritz Carlton, but I believe that these occurrences are unacceptable,

I went to speak to the manager, and I was shocked by this person’s behavior. His first response was that it was “industry standards” for it to take more than 30 minutes for someone to show up when a toilet is unclogged. When I told him about the other 2 complaints, he literally shrugged his shoulders. My response was, “I am done talking to you.” This person clearly needs training in managerial accountability and customer service.

The room itself was fine and the front desk staff was friendly and helpful.
I suggest staying somewhere else!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Marin_Cyclist
WineCountryHotel, Manager at Best Western Plus Wine Country Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

I would like to thank Marin_Cyclist for sharing his opinion of our hotel. I am very happy to hear that the room and front desk staff were fine. I apologize if I shrugged my shoulders when you were complaining about the laundry cart. I certainly didn't intend to do that , but if indeed I did, I apologize. I was just a little taken aback as I have been managing hotels for over 15 years and have never had anyone complain about the linen carts that staff use.
As far as the energy saving motion sensor light switch located at the entrance door, I again apologize if the black electrical tape that we completely covered the light with so no light could be seen wasn't to your satisfaction. Since you didn't bring that up again, you said that you were satisfied with the fix, and you extended your stay for an additional night, we assumed that you were satisfied. Our records indicate that we fixed your toilet issue in 20 minutes, As I was attempting to explain before you walked out, industry standard is 30 minutes.
Again, I apologize that a couple aspects of your stay were less than exceptional, and we thank you for sharing your opinion.

Todd Anderson.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

When we arrived, we were a bit dissapointed with the location as the area is a tad "industrial". It was not so bad though, you can walk to some fast food joints and an Applebees restaurant. It is also easy to access the freeway and round barn boulevard. Definitely a budget location.

The hotel was nicely renovated and our room was very modern. We were upgraded to a suite as we were on our honeymoon. We really loved it and it might have even been worth to pay the extra bucks ourselves. The jaccuzzi was great! Thank you for the upgrade.

The TVs were new and big, just a very odd thing was to notice that the TVs in the bedroom and living are did not have the same channells. Neither had premium cable but the TV in the living area only had 13 channells(not very good ones) which was definitely a negative.

Something that really bothered us was that there were no chairs or tables on the balconies(two balconies of our own in the 2nd. floor suite!). Just the empty balconies????? Well, I asked everyone in the staff where we can get some chairs on the balcony and we got many different answers why we can't get any chairs but anyways, we did not get them at any point. Downstairs patios had chairs, according to one explanation it is too dangerous to have chairs on the 2nd floor.

Also the picture of a small outdoors dining area is misleading. All the chairs they had were broken and moved to gather dust in the corner. There were only empty tables in the "outdoors breakfast area".

Also in the pool area, too fef sun loungers and chairs. Half of the are is empty and still the pool is very small with no outdoors hot tub. Are still seemed nice though if I don't take into account the noisy middleage croud enjoying a lot of wine at the pool area Saturday night when we arrived. This was not a problem on other nights.

Breakfast itself was good, however, some acoustic plates to damped the echos would be needed in the breakfast room. It felt very noisy due to the sound echoing all over the room. We enjoyed the breakfast, don't understand the negative comments. For the price, it was as at least average. However, one day the hash browns were still half frozen but it was a one time problem for us.

All in all, good hotel for the price! Just get the new chairs for the breakfast area and the balconies(+tables). That would probably cost in total 3000-5000$ which should be a miniscule amount for a large hotel. I can't understand the lack of them! Adding some TV channells would be a big + too.

2  Thank JAKK1
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Spent one night here for business. Disappointed to find external corridors. Well appointed, but cosmetic brush up covers an older building with need of some structural fixes. I was on the second floor, and discovered a hole near the desk that was covered up by carpeting. That whole section of the floor sagged when I walked near.

Room was clean, bed was comfortable, for the money, it was a good value.

Breakfast bar was crowded with guests -- it was ok -- nothing special, but sufficient.

An ok place to stay if the region is your destination, not the hotel.

Room Tip: Located very close to the freeway -- had traffic noise and sirens into the night. Ask for room on t...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Practicaltraveler4
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Napa and Sonoma can get very expensive in the summer, particularly on the weekends. We found this hotel to be reasonably priced and centrally located--close to wineries, the freeway, a mall and restaurants. It's an older hotel in an older commercial area of Santa Rosa. It's been remodeled but still shows its age a bit. There is a very nice pool, pretty good breakfast included in the rate and a very small fitness facility. Not a place I'd stay if I planned to be in the room for long, but certainly clean and adequate for sleeping.

Room Tip: Even though it's close to the freeway, it's not noisy.
1  Thank SusanJElDoradoHills