“Staff is the Best” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Corvallis, OR USA
“Staff is the Best”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2008

I was traveling on business and normally stay at a Starwood since I am a member. I am used to the attention from the staff at a W or Westin. I have to say that NEVER have I been treated with more personal attention then when I stayed at La Rose. Valentin, with the hat, is so sweet. I came down for ice and he filled up my ice bucket and topped it with fresh fruit. The staff at the desk was equally helpful and respectful. Check in and out was a breeze.

This is a vintage hotel and I stayed in the main building. The room was very romantic - too bad it was just me on business. I would certainly come back and stay with my husband. If you are not a big fan of vintage then stay in the carriage house. It looked more updated from what I saw on the tv.

I didn't eat at the hotel, but took advantage of a Chevy's across the street. On the other corner is a really sweet coffee shop. They seemed to be open all hours and even had evening music.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
U.S.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2008

Hotel La Rose leaves nothing to be desired. Our room was pinpoint clean. The bed was rather luxurious. The breakfast sets the standard. Staff and managment bent over backwards to attend to every need. It's hard to imagine what improvements can be made.

• Liked — Management and staff
  • Stayed August 2008
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2008

I agree with the best reviews of the Hotel La Rose. Its downtown location in the historic district, its convenient free parking and its well attended and appetizing continental breakfast served in a 19th century dining room all make this hotel one that we will long remember. We stayed in the Carriage Room section of the hotel which is directly across a non-busy street from the hotel. Our room was on the ground level in a gated courtyard entered using the room key. In the center of the courtyard is a very pleasant old-world style fountain. The room was entered first through a little gate that opened into a private alcove with a wrought iron table and chairs. There was then a final door that opened into our room. The private outside alcove proved just perfect for our daughter who smokes. She spent countless hours during our 4-day stay sitting in the covered alcove writing in her diary, working on her laptop and reading. One last thing: Santa Rosa holds a very large outdoor market each Wednesday night from 5:00-8:30pm during the summer. It is adjacent to the large downtown Santa Rosa Plaza Shopping Mall and stretches for two square blocks. This market is an easy 5-10 minute walk from the Hotel La Rose as is the shopping mall. All manner of goods are sold at vendor stalls including food. We found the huge barbecued oysters on the shell particularly delicious.

• Liked — Breakfast, Location and great service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Redlands, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2008

I stayed at his hotel on a Thursday. Since it was not on the weekend and I had a AAA card, I got an incredible deal for this hotel. The room was lovely and comfortable. I loved my canopy style bed. The bathroom had nice products and was covered in marble. The breakfast was divine. The breakfast consisted of coffee, tea, hardboiled eggs, lox, bagels, juice, granola, cereal, yogurt, muffins, and toast. It sounds simple, but yet was so good. I will come back to Hotel La Rose the next time that I visit Santa Rosa.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Waltham, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2008

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at the Hotel La Rose in Santa Rosa, CA during our recent trip to wine country (4/22 - 4/24). I have nothing but great things to say about the hotel.

Upon checking in, without asking I was immediately upgraded to a larger room. I imagine that this had something to do with a "no-show" (considering there was a welcome back bucket of melted ice with fruit in the room with a note that said "welcome back". . .and this was our first time there), but it was still very nice. The room itself was great. Very comfortable bed. Beautiful bathroom. No noise issues.

The staff was extremely pleasant and the breakfasts each morning were more than adequate. Fresh fruit, granola, scones, toast, bagels, salmon, cheese, etc. It was well-done. I would not recommend the restaurant that is adjoining the hotel (Joseph's). There are so many restaurants in the area. I wish we had dined elsewhere, but we took a chance (convenience). It was not crowded (i.e., empty), but it was a weeknight. The food was okay and the service was top notch. It just wasn't what I was hoping for. . .

Long story not-so-short: It was a great place to stay. We enjoyed it.

• Stayed April 2008
1 Thank mlynchie
San Jose, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2008

"I was disappointed" is an understatement. The exterior and the décor are beautiful. They welcome you with a glass of house wine and also provide coupons for free wine tasting at nearby wineries. But the amenities are too historic for the modern day high prices they charge. The hotel must post a disclaimer on their website that along with the historic bldg they also have historic mattress and pillows. The TV was from the 1900’s. For the money they charge during off season they definitely should upgrade their bedding and TV. I am positive MOTEL 6 has better mattress and pillows. It would also help if the breakfast was more appealing. The selections are few and uninteresting.

• Liked — wine at check in
  • Disliked — bedding
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank personaindecisa
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2008

My thoughts on the Hotel La Rose are not too different from those expressed by other reviewers.

I have stayed in both the original historic building, and the more modern annex across the street. Both stays were enjoyable. The rooms were well appointed and the service was friendly and efficient. I have never eaten in the in-house restaurant, but it gets generally good marks. One nice thing about the original building is the windows actually open. The drawback to this, is that like so many American cities now, Santa Rosa is affllicted with the scourge of people affixing after-market mufflers to their otherwise ordinary Honda Civics for the sole purpose of making the car louder, then crusing around as if they just drove a new Ferrari off the lot. Couple that with the urge to share one's taste in music by cramming said Civic with $1000 worth of car audio equipment, and you can spoil a pleasant Sunday evening with the window open!

The hotel is separated from the rest of Santa Rosa by the freeway, but sharing the block with the hotel are a number of restaurants, an Irish bar, a sports bar, and a wine bar. There's also a coffee shop across the street. And, as noted elsewhere, parking is free(!).

I'd stay at the La Rose again.

• Liked — Location, rooms, staff.
  • Disliked — street noise
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple