“great bed”

Travelodge Santa Rosa Wine Country
Ranked #20 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was sceptical- area was a little "urban", but room was fine and mattress was very nice. decent breakfast, and desk employee was very nice. It was convenient to town and interstate.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 27, 2013

our first stop on a northern california trip to see a number of colleges. I wanted to make sure and book a room that was low cost and even though I know the No Cal area probabaly better than a lot, took a chance as this has iffy reviews but did have the one thing we needed - a room. for my daughter and I with the AAA discount was 59.99 plus tax. The amazing/disturbing thing is that several nights later coming back to SF we stayed at the Flamingo Hotel with priceline for - you guessed it - $60/night!.

NOTE the reason as I explained patiently to my daughter was that 1) I wanted to know exactly where we were going as we were checking in late and 2) I wanted a certain price range. This was a SATURDAY and the coming back was a WED - HUGE difference - the Sonoma/napa valley is not just a destination resort area, it is a local weekend resort. So to find ANYTHING on a saturday night during spring is well, impossible. Note fyi I had tried priceline and was denied $75 for Sat for anything over 2 stars as a comparison.

Okay- so this is what when I was a kid was a "motor court" ie you drive your car up to your room. to summarize:
1) bed was small and uncomfortable, and it was supposed to be a queen - highly unlikely. We were uncomfortable and I didnt sleep well - the next day we drove 4 hours so that was a problem
2) The furniture,etc is of the good will/free on craigslist type. We have literally given away better stuff on craigslist than this. And I have seen better stuff at goodwill!
3) the bathroom reminds me of your grandma's house if your grandma cant really get down and scrub the floors that well. OLD OLD tile. Small shower and small bathroom
4) basically a 1950's place that probably hasnt been remodelled since the 80's at least. Where is hotel impossible when you need them???

GOOD - yes a few! free wifi that worked fine. I think there was a free breakfast that we didnt have. They did have a flat screen tv. There were no "add ons" ie parking, wi fi, or those annoying junk charges.

Overall I think the 2 star is probably really a 1.5star. The best part was that my over-indulged middle class suburban daughter got to see what it was like to stay at a basic place when you are on a budget. Again worth repeating - we paid $59.99 plus tax which to me for this is REALLy expensive - had it to do over would probably "upgrade" to at least a HoJo level place. or do priceline/hotwire

again its hard to find ANYTHING in wine country on a weekend spring to fall for under $100.

oh yes the guy at the desk on check in was really nice. At least checking in with a mom and daughter wasnt some scary person!

Room Tip: I would get the biggest room - sharing a "queen" in quotes was hard - I think they are act...