“Been coming here for 15 years...”
Review of Sandman

Sandman
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Reviewed December 8, 2009

The Sandman Motel seems to continually upgrade the little things.. Things that matter, the things the traveler uses. Hair dryers, Refrigerators, Coffee makers. Seems that every time I stay I see something new.. WI-FI finally is worked out to my satisfaction. They are the cleanest rooms I know of and the cleaning staff is always nice and does a good job. The price is very fair with a nice hot breakfast. Staff is nice and accommodating. Prices are reasonable and have recently gone down a little which makes the SANDMAN a fantastic bargain.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed October 8, 2009

I stayed for a night with two girl friends, which made a good deal for around $90? Basically our experience was pleasant, room was clean enough with fridge & coffee maker etc, very nice continental breakfast with hot food, but best was probably the pool and jacuzzi -- it was not anything fancy, but having enjoy it just adds a delight to the stay.
For guest service I'm not so sure -- staff was not really friendly or courteous (not very helpful when I didn't know how to use the lobby coffee machine), and we saw one of them serving a lady and he seemed like he could not care less if she wasn't satisfied with some of their service. I guess this place is really worth recommending if you don't need any staff or service. The place was packed on the weekend!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 31, 2009

This lodging was set up by others for an event in Santa Rosa. I read the reviews here and was a little concerned, although, the last review was over 3 years old. I was prepared to endure a two day stay and make the best of it. When I checked in, the front lobby was nothing fancy, but it was clean and organized. The staff was friendly and efficient. When I got to my room, it was nice and what seemed to be recently remodeled (year or so??). The rate was decent (or so I was told since I didn't pay for it). It is not a fancy place, but it is nice. It is right next to a Carrow's restuarant which was also nice and had decent food. Definitely a nice place for the price. I'd stay there again, at least for a short business stay

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 29, 2009

My husband and I stayed here on our way to a wedding in Clear Lake the next day. For $90 AARP rate, we were pleasantly surprised. Our room back by the pool had a refrigerator and microwave and free wireless. We spent Friday afternoon by the beautiful pool reading and though there were tons of restaurants nearby, just went to the Carrows next door that night.

The place was full the next morning when we left and I can see why. Clean, nice staff, good location. We'll definitely go back on our next trek up North.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2009

The rooms are just ok. The people behind the desk were not warm fuzzies by any means. But they were ok. the lady who runs the breakfast room needs to stop sportin a tude. She makes you feel very uneasy when you are there...kind of like, what are you doing in my kitchen..keep it clean and get out. She was not one of my favorite people. Nice pool and good location.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 29, 2009

Wine country places are fairly overpriced. I'm not a B&B kinda girl, but I also have a pet peeve about motels that have windows facing the walkways. Still, it was only one night and the price was right.

The front-desk staff were very friendly, and upon checking cheerfully gave us a room as far away from the street as possible when we requested it. Sure, there was a walkway in front of the window, but only one room past it, so no biggie. The room was comfy, a reasonable size and decent given the price.

But what I really liked was the breakfast room just off the pool. The free breakfast included the normal cereal, toast, coffee and juice, plus yogurt, hard boiled eggs (yay, protein) and Belgian Waffles freshly made! The room was cheery with a TV, and it opened to the lovely pool patio. The pool was tempting - good size, with jacuzzi - but we had places to go. No onsite restaurant, but wanting a nice dinner, we went to Equus, maybe 1/4 mile away attached to a fancy-ish hotel. Not too shabby.

And the motel had free wifi, yay again. I'll be back.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 24, 2009

I have stayed twice now. The rooms are clean and decent size, pretty standard. Customer service is passable although we stayed with several friends in 4 different rooms and asked when making reservations to be next to each other, but they completely disregarded this. I don't think it was logistically hard (there were tons of vacancies), it jjust seemed like they couldn't be bothered to make any effort to put us together. However this was not really a big deal and we were in the same general area.

One of the best continental breakfasts I've ever seen, complete with make your own waffles on a waffle iron.

The pool looks nice but was closed for seemingly no reason while we were there, and when we asked they couldn't tell us a reason. Maybe it's seasonal (though it was March).

The location is good as it is centrally located between downtown Santa Rosa and Russian River wine road, which was our main purpose for coming. One of the cheaper motels in the area and WAY better than the Motel 6 down the road, so it's definitely worth it.

Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple