“What Happened?”
Review of Sandman

Sandman
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Reviewed July 26, 2005

I have stayed at this Hotel 3 times before. So I had no Worries in booking resv. This time however, it seemed they could get nothing right. I booked 3 weeks in advance and adding I more room about 9 days before check-in. I asked that they be rooms ajoining which they told me right away they didn't have or, side by side. and that they said they could do. One group was skydiving that day and one group was attending a wine club celebration at a local winery. So we checked in at two different times. We found out later that one group was in the front building, and the other was 3 buildings away. ok we can live with that, but, the biggest problem was, we asked for 2 king beds in each room. ours had a king and dbl. and the other room had 1 king, which left people sleeping on the floor, as by then all rooms were sold out. Upon check-out the next day, I inquired WHY? Nothing to my resv. was done right. And we asked to see the mgr. As they had gone on the computer to see what we had reserved, and at that point could not give us an explanation. So all this time they kept saying the manger was on the phone and would deal with it later. I think what bothered me the most was when I had told them exactly when I made the resv. and what I had wanted, you know they give that look like, yeah sure, now your asking for it. But, when they both looked it up , they had nothing to say, not even an apolgy, just kept saying when the manger gets off the phone she will deal with it . We didn't wait around, because I knew no one was coming out. So beware in the summer when things get really busy. And by the way, I did call and confirm everything the night before we were to check-in.

8  Thank ramble_around2000

Reviewed July 17, 2005

We were looking to stay somewhere near the wine country above Sonoma for a night in July. Most places for miles around wanted $150-200/night
Found the Sandman for 85/night. Nice clean Great A/C room
small fridge and Fantastic shower. Beautiful pool Continental Breakfest( we skipped that) Infact, if it was not for the tacky breakfest- I would give the Sandman an Excellant Rating- Defintely would stay again. Best kept secret in the Sonoma County Wine Area

• Stayed: July 2005
6  Thank mustardgirl100
Nevada City, California
Reviewed June 29, 2005

We have stayed at the Sandman many times. NEVER have we been treated kindly or with respect from ANY of the women who work the front desk. We have never experienced this type of treatment at any other establishment we have stayed at. Not to mention, we are in their computer after so many repeated stays, and are STILL treated as if we are strangers by these women. Quite to the contrary, the men at the front desk are quite kind and accommodating. At our last stay, we requested our favorite room (on a Sunday night, there was virtually no one at the hotel) for the evening. Not only were we told "no", we were told that "the whole wing was booked." All evening, only ONE car parked in front of that wing. She (dark-haired, young) just flat-out lied to a "long-time customer." This is the treatment you will receive from either the dark-haired younger woman, or the grey-haired older woman. The rooms are fine, but if you'd like to be treated like a human-being (at least by the women), don't plan on staying here. RUDE, RUDE, RUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 19, 2005

Just returned from our stay at the Sandman. I would highly recommend this place. Large pool & pool area. A lot of shady areas to sit and have a glass of wine. Large & Clean rooms. Nice breakfast by the pool. Also easy to get anywhere in the area. Large shopping mall with grocery store a mile down the street, and if you keep going you can get downtown. Would also recommend the Korbel winery tour, which is an easy 15 mile drive west of the Sandman, perfect tour for "beginner" wine tasters. Also, the 3rd Street Ale House downtown as great beers & sandwiches - make sure to get the garlic fries! Hope to make it here again soon.

• Stayed: June 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, IL
Reviewed April 16, 2005

We stayed at the Sandman july 2000, but we always use Tripadvisor and find the reviews helpful, so we want to give back! :)

Pros: 1. hotel was well-kept and room was clean. 2. Great pool and jacuzzi. There were a couple kids, but it didn't bother us. 3. location is perfect for day trips to both Napa and Sonoma and Alexander Valleys. We did one day in Napa, one in Sonoma and one in Alexander - just enought time to see everything we want to!

Cons: 1. Parking lot was in the sun and the car was always 120 degrees when we got in. 2. Breakfast buffet is donuts and bagels (but that was 5 years ago, so it might have changed).

Overall, we would return to the Sandman because of it's great location between Napa and Sonoma! By the way, if you don't make advance reseravations, pick up a Trip Saver coupon book and get a great rate at this hotel!

We were in our mid-to-late 20's when we stayed here.

• Stayed: July 2000
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Newport Beach, Ca
Reviewed March 30, 2004

I loved the Sandman. I thought the rooms were clean and very up-to-date. The pool is awesome, and in a fabulous location for wine tasting.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Milpitas, California
Reviewed June 8, 2003

First of all, I hate dirty and grungy hotels. I prefer the heavenly bed at the W and Westin hotels, but the prices are outrageous. The Sandman provided a comfortable, clean, and quiet place to stay over the weekend. The room was quite spacious, one queen bed, with a sofa, lounge chair, and coffee table. Air conditioner was loud, but better than nothing. The Sandman also provides a really great free continental breakfast (bagels, toast, bread, oj, aj, milk, tea, coffee, cereal, danishes, cream cheese, yogurt, and more).

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#2 of 25 in Santa Rosa
13 mi away
Best Western Dry Creek Inn
Hilton Garden Inn Sonoma County Airport

Been to Sandman? Share your experiences!