“Nice but don't look forward to the breakfast”
Review of Sandman

Sandman
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I was visitng family in early January and the location was ideal. The room was clean and very acceptable. Aside from the location I considered the fitness facility and continental breakfast as important factors and must say was a bit disapointed. The equipment was all in a small room and not the best quality. I have stayed at other hotels in the area with much better facilities. The breakfast was pretty depressing. It was genearally very low quality and primarily carbs. I ended up going out for breakfast 2 out of the 4 days I stayed there. The front desk was very nice and helpful, but I will probably not be coming back.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank john h

Reviewed November 26, 2011

During my recent trip to Santa Rosa to visit family, a friend suggested the Sandman. I took their recommendation and was glad I did. In my opinion, the Sandman is one of the best kept secrets in the area. I have stayed in a lot of hotels, many billing themselves as 4 and 5 star, but not too many come even remotely close to the Sandman. The room was clean and very comfortable. The surroundings were pleasant and quiet. They offer a Continental Breakfast in the morning, which is comparable to others (ie: waffles, cereal and various pastries). The staff was pleasant, but what I liked the most is there was no second guessing on the bill, which was very reasonable. What they quoted is exactly what they charged. I give them a five star review and look forward to the next time my travels take me to Santa Rosa. If you're looking for frills and amenities, stay at the Hilton, but if you're looking for a clean room, friendly staff and a quiet place to rest after a busy day, stay at the Sandman. Breakfast included!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I stayed here on September 30, 2011. It's an older motel, and the amenities were a bit dated, but overall I thought it was good value for the money and a good night's stay. Check-in went smoothly, the woman at the front desk was nice and welcoming. I asked for a bottom-floor room and was given a king-size bed in a fairly large room that included a microwave and refrigerator. Everything was clean and worked, and the complimentary breakfast had a good selection of breads, fruit, do-it-yourself waffle irons, and hard-boiled eggs. My "non-smoking" room had a bit of a smoked-in smell (what is with smokers who do that?), but it was tolerable. Most important of all, for me, was that the bed, pillows, and linen were clean. I'm paranoid about bed bugs but there was no sign of any, anywhere. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank K-Dub65
Reviewed September 13, 2011

After reading reviews here on TA I wasn't sure what to expect. However we were pleasantly surprised by how nice this motel is.
At check-in the gals at the desk were pleasant and helpful. I asked if I could be placed in a room away from the stairs, since people coming & going tend to be noisy. She pulled out a map of the motel rooms and asked me where I thought was best. Very nice! I chose a room across from the pool (& breakfast room), on the second floor. I asked if we could have 4 keys, since our young adult children would like to come & go also. No hesitation, she handed them over.
Our room was very nice. Everything was clean and in working order. A/C, TV, cable, WiFi, mini fridge w/freezer compartment, microwave, coffee maker, hair dryer, iron & board all present, working & in good condition. A nice selection of toiletries on bathroom vanity area & in shower area.
There were 5 of us, so we were very happy to have plenty of space in our room, even with 2 double beds & nightstand, dresser w/TV, desk w/chair and table w/2 chairs. Beds were very comfortable.
We had several laptops and soon discovered the WiFi code will only work for 1 computer at a time. We called the front desk & were immediately given extra codes, no problem.
The pool area is beautiful. Really. For a 2 star motel, we were very surprised. It isn't terribly deep (5 ft at the deepest), but it is large and clean and HEATED! The area around it had plenty of lounge chairs, tables with umbrella & chairs, lots of towels available. The jacuzzi was nice too, especially in the cool evening. Probably large enough to accomodate 10-12 people. The area around the pool has nicely manicured lawns and trees.
We ate breakfast twice and had no problem getting in, getting what we wanted & then either eating next to the pool, or going back to our room (even with a soccer team in at the same time). Yes, as previously stated, the breakfast room is small, with maybe 3-4 small tables with chairs. But plenty of room outside, or in our room. They have a good selection for breakfast: make-your-own waffles, cold cereals, oatmeal, toasted bagels or bread, yogurt, juice, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, some fresh fruit. Saved our family of 5 a bundle, that's for sure!
The water pressure in the shower was very good, definitely a nice feature. One of my daughters rated it as the best she's experienced so far! And even with 5 of us, we never ran out of hot water.
I wondered if the pool area would be noisy in the evening, but it was not. I wasn't sorry we picked a room so close, and the view as well as convenient proximity was nice.
All for $111/night in August. We will be staying here again!

Room Tip: I would suggest rooms in the back half of the motel, they are quieter & closer to the breakfast...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank ItsMommaG
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Its very very good, clean, everything works well, AC, showers, coffee, TV - quiet, not fancy but has all the necessities of a five star hotel ay 2 star prices. Beds are great.
The self service breakfast is about the same as any other.

Room Tip: Downstairs rooms may be more convenient
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank EdRad
Reviewed August 27, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Sandman August 4 and 5th. We took a shot in the dark and made reservations on-line - site unseen. We stayed in San Francisco, also on a blind shot and got burnt, so we were apprehensive about our fate in Santa Rosa. We were more than pleasantly surprised when we drove up to a well manicured entry way and over-all landscape was well done. The buildings were maintained well, kind of homey. The Front Desk person was very friendly and check-in was a breeze. I was pleased to see a restaurant for breakfast was located right in front of the hotel. But more surprised that a free continental breakfast was available each morning. The location is in a strip mall area, but only three minutes from a major mall complex. More importantly the hotel is located at and intersection that leads directly to Northbound or Southbound CA Highway 101. Our stay was quiet, the rooms were larger than average and well maintained. It was a joy to stay there and we'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank hiken62
Reviewed August 27, 2011

The motel was just what I expected. It's large with lots of units off a busy highway. I thought for the price it was just fine. It was clean and quiet at night and I used the workout room in the morning and had a continental breakfast alongside the pool. Not bad for under $100 a night on a weekend in this area. We stayed for 2 nights and found nice places to eat in Santa Rosa and used it as our base for a Napa trip. Can't beat it for the price.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family