“My car has been broken into twice”
Review of Sandman

Sandman
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Reviewed October 12, 2007

I have stayed at the Sandman about once a month for the last seven years when I was in Santa Rosa on business. It has always been a good
place to stay; clean, quiet, good hot tub, large rooms. But twice in the last year, my car was broken into in the parking lot. Once my old
Subaru had the locks ruined with a screwdriver and recently a door window on my 1999 Subaru was broken to steal a portable printer I mistakenly left on the floor. I realize that the hotel is not responsible for losses but they obviously have a security problem and
the manager would not admit it or do anything about it. It no longer feels like a safe place and I won't be staying there any longer.

• Stayed: September 2007

Reviewed August 31, 2007

My husband has stayed there through the years when traveling to Santa Rosa on business and always found it a good hotel for the price. Although it's been a few years we booked a two night stay and boy were we surprised. The bed was very uncomfortable but not as bad as the pillows. A queen sized bed had three square little pillows that felt like they were filled with straw. The door handle was falling off the door and looked like it had been jimmied before and stuck back on. We propped a chair against it at night. The toilet was like a rocking chair and needed to be tightened to the floor. The whole room needed updating, it was a throwback to the '80's. The girls at the breakfast were very nice and the food and coffee very good. The older women at the checkout was surly and when my husband asked for a pen to sign the credit card slip she pointed to a can of pens several feet away while holding one herself. It will be the last time we stay there.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank bigblueprescottaz
Reviewed August 28, 2007

I have been staying at the Sandman on business for the last 20 years. As a businessman and faithful customer I feel that I am entitled to some respect. Not So. Too bad that the hired help ruins what is generally a decent place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed August 1, 2007

This was our 4th year staying at the Sandman. Location is convenient, but the front desk staff needs supervision. Again this year our group had trouble checking in - the male clerk basically said "were sold out go away".
There are a few nice people at the front desk, but if your unlucky enough to get the older cranky lady or the middle aged gentleman, then check your credit card after departure and don't take "no" if you had a reservation.
(I checked the next morning with the nicer front desk staff and they couldn't understand why anyone would have said they were sold out the night before... they had open rooms).
Each year I'm surprised that the same people are still working the front desk..... and each year we keep going back!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2007

The Good - The free breakfast was outstanding – waffles every morning :). We didn’t use the pool or hot tub but they looked really nice and clean. The hotel itself was a great value for the area. The location was also extremely convenient for touring wineries in both Sonoma and Healdsburg (very short commute).

The Bad - We stayed 4 nights and the first 2 we had extremely noisy neighbors who kept us awake at night. Obviously that isn’t the fault of the hotel, but it does speak to how thin the walls may or may not be. IN addition we didn’t originally receive the same price as what we were quoted over the phone when I booked our reservation. It appears there was a mixup and when I booked they thought we had 2 adults and 2 children. In reality we had 4 adults (and I specified 4 adults). The Sandman attempted to charge us an extra $20 a day because of this (which I think is ridiculous…do adults really cost more than kids – I mean kids are more likely to break things, right?). Nevertheless, since I had the name of the individual I made my reservation with, the manager believed my story and eventually agreed to the original quoted price (although I did have to argue my case – it wasn’t an easy fix).

Is it a good place to stay? Yes, we probably just had a bad experience. Would I recommend this place to a friend? No, not based on my experience.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed September 16, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Sandman Motel over the Labor Day weekend. We found this motel to be an excellent value and conveniently located right off Hwy 101. The room we were in had 2 queen beds and was very large. Amenities included a large (compact) refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, and hair dryer. The bathroom had a large counter and sink and a separate room with toilet and shower. Plenty of storage for clothing. The continental breakfast was the best I've ever had. You can make your own belgian waffles (only 2 waffle makers). The batter was pre-measured and put in cups. There was a huge assortment of breads, including cinnamon, blueberry, English muffins and bagels. There was also 3 types of cerals, pastries and fresh fruit, yogurt, juices. The breakfast room was rather small but there are tables out around the pool to eat at. We took our trays back to our room as it was really crowded on Saturday morning for breakfast as the motel was full. Our room was toward the back of the property so it was away from the freeway and we did not hear any traffic noise. I would definitely stay here again. Very clean property.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Marilyn J
Reviewed September 3, 2006

We recently stayed for the labor day holiday weekend for a last minute Sonoma wine country trip. The hotel is easy to get to and minutes from Kendall Jackson Winery and the town of Healdsburg. For the cheap price, this was a great stay.I would call it a Motel 5 type place. Only thing is do not get a room near the registration lobby. . .it is noisy from the free way and street. The pillows and bed aren't that great either but other than that this was the perfect place for our spontaneus trip on a holiday weekend!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple