“Lackluster Locals”

Cuisines: Cafe
Northern California
“Lackluster Locals”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

My wife & I visited The Locals on Friday 13 December with a Groupon discount.

We both started with the Basque Red Pepper soup – a delicious barley and bell pepper mixture with the slight sweet taste of beef – likely oxtail.

My wife ordered the Wild Alaskan Grilled Salmon ($19) – the fillet was a bit thin and became dry during the grilling. She liked the mix of seasonal vegetables, but found the garlic mashed potatoes in need of gravy (not done with salmon) or at least a pad of butter.

I opted for the daily special - a slow roasted BBQ pulled pork sandwich – not sure of the price as the special board did not list and the server did not mention. The tasty BBQ was topped by an appropriate amount of coleslaw – making for a very nice sandwich. The sandwich was accompanied by a generous serving of French fries – cut slightly thicker than shoestring style – the fries were good.

The restaurant was about half full when we arrived, but we immediately received menus and our order was taken in a reasonable amount of time, considering there was only one waiter. The restaurant nearly filled during our meal – see last line about neighboring Burger Bar – also there was a Willie Nelson performance that night at neighboring Wells Fargo Center.

Our entrees arrived an appropriate amount of time after our soups were finished. I noted the drinks we ordered before the soup had not arrived. This was corrected in short order. When the check arrived I noted the $30 Groupon had not been deducted from the bill and needed to remind the waiter. Some of this lack to detail can possibly be excused by the annoyance of the power going out briefly twice during our meal – and once more as we left the parking lot – the entire strip mall was affected.

The parking at this location is less than ideal. The Locals is located at the pointed end of a pie shaped strip mall, made an island by roads on all sides – with no parking on 2 of the 3 roads.

The Locals has no web site – an oddity these days. The menu may be viewed via their Facebook page – maybe I am ‘old’ fashioned?

Overall I was pleased, but without the Groupon discount - $15 in savings that covered the tip – I find The Locals to be a tad pricey at $46 for two without alcohol or tip. If this restaurant survives, it may be due to the overflow crowd from neighboring Carmen’s Burger Bar wandering into The Locals rather than queuing at the Burger Bar.

• Visited December 2013

Sonoma CA, USA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Burger, Good Beer, Good Entertainment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

We went to listen to some smooth music and had a great burger ( you gotta' be really clear that you want it rare if you want it rare!) with really nice fries and some homemade chips! Service was very good and friendly and helpful.

• Visited August 2013
Ocean City, New Jersey
“Best Breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Visited Napa and have had numerous breakfast. This place had the best bacon, home fries and hashbrowns of the group - this was accompanied by quick service.

Way to go!

Visited June 2013
Santa Rosa, California
“Handy Location... Loud Live Bands”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

Located just off Hwy 101 near the new Sutter Hospital and Wells Fargo Center, on the corner of Old Redwood Hwy and Mark West/River Road, The Locals finds itself in a handy spot for those headed to Calistoga, The River, up or down 101, going to a show at the Wells Fargo Center, coming from Sutter Hospital (once it opens) ... or for anyone "Local".

Being local ourselves we decided to check it out for dinner on a Saturday night with our multi generational family. Unfortunately when we got out of the car we could hear the music was already very loud in the parking lot. When I entered I said I was just checking since the music was loud and the hostess said they were having the band turn it down and quickly ushered us to a seat in the back.

Needless to say the music was never turned down for our entire stay even though we were told over and over that it would be. The wait staff even had to wait to ask for our order during the pause between songs. What we thought would be a nice evening out with Grandma and the Grandchildren turned into an unplanned concert of music not of our choosing. The only talking was quick bursts between songs and when the band took a break. We should have left when we first looked inside the door, but we were assured over and over it would be fine...

So if you want to go to listen to the live music, then you should have a good time. They have a reasonable selection of beer and wine, and I saw a note about bloody mary's too. If you are going for a family/friends gathering that involves socializing, then wait for a regular evening.

As for the food, it was what I would expect from a cafe for dinner... we had fish n chips, shrimp cocktail, shimp louie salad, fried chicken, turkey berry sandwich and lots and lots of french fries piled on the side of the plates. Fries were good, but more than we could possibly eat. They had house made potato chips that were overdone, more brown than golden. It felt like it took a while to get our plates, but that could have been because of the music. A good dinner, all things considered. They do have dinner competition in nicer nearby restaurants, but then it all depends on what you are looking for at that time.

I expect this is a great breakfast and lunch place as they seem busy at those times of the day. I plan on returning for breakfast with the family which may be better for a family visit. It is also part of a small shopping center with Bad A** Coffee, Yogurt Time and The Burger Bar.

• Visited May 2013