“Great Fish & Chips”

Betty's English Fish 'n' Chips
Ranked #85 of 540 Restaurants in Santa Rosa
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Worth the drive to Rincon Valley from Santa Rosa for really great fish and chips. We had the 3 piece plate with several nice pieces of fish and nice french fries. The tarter sauce was very good and the side order of Cole Slaw was very tasty. This place is every bit as good as the long gone Prince of Wales restaurant in Long Beach, California.

1  Thank Walt53
There are newer reviews for Betty's English Fish 'n' Chips

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Yummy comfort food. Not greasy, even though deep fried. FANTASTIC homemade pies. Small place with seascape decor that is rather funky, but it works. Prices are fair and its a good place to take kids.

1  Thank SuzieLS123
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Hole in the Wall with great Fish n Chips and tasty desserts. We like the outdoor seating and friendly service.

1  Thank JPMMDT
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Having spent some years in England, friends occasionally recommend this fish & chips place to me as somewhere "authentic" I should try, and eventually I did. It isn't bad (in fact the quality of their food is quite high considering what it is) but I would not wake up here and believe I was back in Blighty. Amusingly, I was told everything was great "except the nasty beer" which turned out to be Tetley's, and the most authentically English part of the experience.

Order fish & chips in a real English fry-up and their first question will be, "What kind?" That is, do you want cod, plaice, skate, bream, haddock...? In America all they can ask you is, "How many pieces?" since it's always cod, period. They do try to make up for this by having many other things they can deep fry for you --zucchini, onion rings, cheese, you name it-- which I never saw in any English "chippy," and this helps, and there is a range of tasty-looking sandwiches and salads also available that few Englishmen would be familiar with.

My biggest disappointment was due to a miscommunication: I had been told that one of the really wonderful things about the menu here was their pies. Alas, they did not mean meat pies or Cornish pasties, but desserts! Now, I'm as big a fan of banana cream pie as anyone, but it's about as English as the Golden Gate Bridge. (What next, vegetarian haggis?)

The atmosphere was pleasingly informal, and though crowded, the service was good and the food arrived promptly and piping hot. It was a bit greasy --hey, fish & chips IS greasy-- but not unpleasantly so. Not a bad job, overall -- for America.

1  Thank MojoLad
Reviewed January 7, 2013

After a morning movie, four of us wanted to visit Betty's, a long time fish and chip restaurant! Clean, cheerful, and the fish is FRESH! Three of us had the fish and chip plate, cole slaw and some of us subbed onion rings for the chips, others had chips, so we,had it all. One of us had Betty' Special...along with fish were included scallops, and prawns. We were all delighted with the lightly battered seafood. It remains our go-to place in SR for fresh fish and chips. Do not miss the cole slaw!