“Great Place”

Hikuni Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #384 of 548 Restaurants in Santa Rosa
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I can't believe some of the bad reviews about this place. After visiting this restaurant numerous times, Hikuni is definitely a restaurant I will return to. I love sitting at their sushi bar in front of the 500 gallon tropical fish tank, enjoying the "all you can eat" sushi meal. I've even brought one of my clients who happens to be Japanese, to Hikuni. I mean he's somebody that knows Japanese cuisine through and through. My Japanese client who insisted he try this place, loved this place too. He claimed that all the sushi we consumed was top notch, although he said the mackerel was a little "dry". We even enjoyed uni, for an additional $1.00, fee. I love the salmon lovers roll, smoked squid maki, and white tuna maki, they're awesome!
My guests and i, have enjoyed all of the sushi we've had at Hikuni, and I've been there over 10 times. Overall, the experience has been enjoyable.

Reviewed April 7, 2012

We had a similarly poor experience here with reservations. Why bother with them because they just put you in the same queue as walk ins. After a nearly 45 minute wait, we asked how much longer it would be. The host said he did not know and did not so much as offer an apology. We ate hear shortly after the restaurant opened (years ago) it was decent. But we won't be back again.

Reviewed January 29, 2012

So we made a "reservation" a couple days before my husband's birthday for the hibachi grill. When we got there, the rude hostess gave us a number, told us she would put us on a list and to wait. We explained we made reservations, and was still told to wait. We headed to the bar where we met another group who also had a reservation and was given a number and told to wait. There were A LOT of patrons milling about and waiting, even though there were tons of empty tables. The attire is SUPER CASUAL, shorts, jeans, uggs, pajama pants?!?! The decor is DISGUSTING. Too much open space, there were holiday decorations still up!!!!!! The icing on the cake- THE VISIBLE LAYER OF GREASE AND SMOKE HANGING IN THE AIR FROM THE HIBACHI GRILL BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE HOODS!!!!! Is that even legal?? Apparently they have an "extensive" menu but can't do the most simple thing well , greet patrons anyone? I wouldn't eat there on a dare. We left before we even got seated.

1  Thank dragondog
Reviewed January 28, 2012

What a bad experience tonight, SAT 9:PM Jan. 28th

1) service was very slow, even restaurant was not busy
2) we had to remind service that we orderer drinks
3) finally tea came but was not hot, luke-warm and we had to remind the server on the beer for my wife
4) Miso soup we had to return too as it was not warm enough
5)finally when food came he forgot the little bowl to mix the Soy sauce/Wasabi etc.
6) the Udon Soup was not exciting at all, kind of tasteless and the 'Sushi all you can eat' was also very disappointing.
Oh, before I forget, what mess their men's room was, papers all over, nothing to dry your hands.
I would never ever go there again. I think they do not know how bad they are.
Manfred E.