“Outstanding German Food - Great Service”
Review of Cafe Europe - CLOSED

Cafe Europe
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Panama City, Florida
“Outstanding German Food - Great Service”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

As other reviewers have mentioned, don't let the location stop you from going to Cafe Europe. I highly recommend making reservations as seating is limited. But, even if you have to wait, it is well worth it. The red cabbage and sauerkraut is made fresh and is as good as any I have ever had in Germany (many trips). The only thing I did not completely enjoy was the smoked brat (my wife ordered it and I tasted). It just had too much of a smoke favor for my liking. I had the pork osso buco (bone with a hole). The meat was so tender and came off the bone completely. The selection of beers and wines (both domestic and German) were excellent. Talking to some of the other customers, I learned most were repeat locals, which is always a good sign. I would go back before going to any of the other restaurants I tried while visiting Santa Rosa. This place is a must if you like any type of German food.

1 Thank GNPHiker

Sonoma County, California
“great food, friendly staff”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Don't let the strip mall location fool you. This is a place worth seeking out.

Have eaten here a few times, and each time was good.

Lots of German food -- sausages, schnitzels, wursts, etc. But there's more.

Friends have tried the meatloaf, pork chop, stroganoff, and boar. (The entrees come with soup or salad, and sides -- either potato pancake or spatzel, veggies, cabbage.) Each described it as very good to excellent.
I've had dinner salads (which come with a bowl of soup), and they are also good.
I highly recommend a shrimp/pasta special (if they have it) -- perfect blend of flavors. (This special also came with soup or salad.)
And the cream of mushroom soup is a must if they have it. Creamy and mushroomy (hence the name?).
Beer (heavy on the German, of course) and wine.
Sides are available. I like the sauerkraut -- not tart and acid like some canned stuff can be. My favorite is the red cabbage. Delish!
Have only tried one dessert -- warm house-made apple streudel with whipped cream and ice cream. Pastry is very flaky. But I found that the filling, chock full of apples, nuts, and raisins, could have been sweeter. Not bad, but not as sweet as I would have liked it. (Will have to try chocolate cake or gelato next time.)

Pleasant interior.
Super friendly staff. Good job. They greet regulars by name.
Chef usually comes out to visit at the tables.
Last time I was there (Sunday evening) a young man played accordion. I was leery at first, but he was good, and the music was not at all intrusive.

Anyway, we like this place. It's a nice change from the usual Mexican, Italian, or Asian fare. (Not that we don't like those!)

Recommended.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank George B
Santa Rosa, California
“where locals eat”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

just had dinner there this weekend. pork osso bucco was the best. my girlfriend had the filet mignon stroganoff with spetzle. out of this world. we love this place. food id great. can not beat the price. good winelist with prices well below other restaurant. right now no corkage fee. during the week they have a three course dinner for 20$. the restaurant is a little out of the way but well worth to find it. make sure to have strudel for dessert or take one home. oh ya when you call ask them to save one. this week we got there to late and it was all gone. see you soon guys.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank tony s
San Jose, California
“Lovely restaurant, great food”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

This is a lovely neighborhood gem. It's a small restaurant with an extensive menu. We came for dinner on a Friday night, and brought our own wine. Cafe Europe does not charge corkage, and so will only open one bottle, but should you want more, their wine list is good and reasonably priced.
I ordered the duck, and it was fabulous. The skin was crispy and delicious, and not as fatty as it can sometimes be. The meat was very tender. The duck came with a red cabbage which was very tasty, and a potato pancake. Mu husband ordered the pork with shitake mushroom sauce, and it was fantastic (I had a bite, so I can verify that!). We shared the home made apple strudel for dessert (minus the whip cream, but with the ice cream); I am not a dessert fan, but this dessert is not to be missed!

Cafe Europe is not open late, and essentially has 2 seatings, so reservations are definitely helpful. We made a reservation on Weds for Friday night, and got the last table available when we arrived. The food is very good, and the price was very reasonable; we spent about $60 for two including tip. We are going to be sure to tell all our local friends about this restaurant and would definitely come back again; there are a lot of other things on the menu that we want to try!

Visited August 2012
Indio, California
“Great German Restaurant”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

This is one of the best German restaurants I have every been to. The have some of the most reasonably priced dinner and anything you have here is delicious. Located in a strip mall next to the Safeway, the location may be off putting for such a fine restaurant. But, the minute you step though the door you think you are in Europe. I do love there Christmas decor.

• Visited April 2012