“Wonderful surprise in a strip mall”
Review of Sazon

Sazon
Reserve with OpenTable
Sazon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 549 Restaurants in Santa Rosa
Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Burbank
Transit: City of Santa Rosa Public Bus Route 12. Stop one block from our premises.
Description: Sazon is Spanish for "seasoning" and synonymous with incredible Peruvian cuisine! We combine family recipes with great service for amazing dining. Peruvian cuisine is a reflection of Peru's diverse geography, immigrant cultures, and even pre-Inca recipes! With a truly unique fusion of cultures, you'll taste dishes with hints of Spanish, African, Italian, and even Asian cuisines. At Sazon, our family serves authentic Peruvian recipes passed down by our great-grandmother, Maria Olinda, who herself boasted Peruvian, African, Spanish, and Italian ancestry! We invite you to share one of our unforgettable Ceviches with a co-worker at lunch; with 7 to choose from including a classic Ceviche Mango or the Ahi Ceviche Nikei with ahi tuna, you're sure to escape your workday stresses. Or bring loved ones for dinner to indulge in the amazing Pollo a la Brasa, free-range chicken marinated with a house blend of traditional Peruvian spices! Whether you're joining us for lunch or dinner, with friends or family, we invite you to savor the unique Peruvian flavors at Sazon!
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in with business colleague. Food was as good as reviews by others. The shrimp ceviche was great. I also had the grilled chicken sandwhich and it was cooked perfectly. Worth the trip.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

We first heard of this interesting-sounding Peruvian restaurant about a year ago, but for one reason or another we never managed to eat there until last night. It was wonderful, and I regret having dithered for so long.

We didn't arrive until after sunset, and since it's a small nondescript place it isn't easy to see at night; make sure of your directions before you drive there. There are only two or three parking places out front, but there is a driveway on the left side with a larger parking lot in the back.

The place was crowded and lively when we walked in -- a good sign for a restaurant on a midweek evening, even though we were advised it might result in a ten minute wait. We chose to sit at the bar right away instead, which itself was almost full; the tall stools were a little awkward for my spouse, but quite comfy once you get ensconced. From here you are looking right down into the open kitchen, which was very interesting because you get to see every dish as it's prepared and sent out, a big help when confronted with a new and unique menu. The place is so small that the waitstaff react with only the slightest eye contact, so we had menus, iced water and two cold beers set before us practically as we ordered them -- Peruvian beers, too! Quite tasty. This also proved to be rewarding some time later, when I watched a waiter preparing a blender of some complex mixed drink; he served the customers their beverage (the estimable Peruvian staple, the "Pisco Sour") and then brought me a small dollop of the leftovers, on the house! "You looked thirsty," he said.

The Papas Rellenas ("stuffed potatoes" ) appetizer, a very busy version of croquette, was utterly delicious, as was the fried tilapia entrée, and the pork tamales 'estilo Peruviano' with yuca, rice and scrumptious pickled red onion. There are a great number of different ceviches (marinated fish), which we'll have to investigate later. This cuisine reminded me strongly of food from the Yucatán, and was quite beautifully prepared. It is a bit more upscale than I'd expected; the tip-offs are the weirdly shaped plates they use and the offer of "platos chicos" or "small bites", which as we know inevitably leads to "big tabs." So it's not somewhere we can afford to eat at regularly, but we'll most certainly be back.

1  Thank MojoLad
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Taste of Peru (and we HAVE been there too.
Very crowded table arrangement adds to the intimacy, with friendly service and a genuine willingness to please

Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Sazon has an open kitchen to the left as you walk in; everyone smiled and welcomed me. Within 30 seconds I had a menu- great looking menu. Juan Jose (born in Peru) and Roberto (also does wine/food pairings for Kendall Jackson) greeted me warmly. I asked Roberto for an appetizer recommendation; he said if I was ok with it he'd recommend the beef heart skewers. I decided to go for it. Wow! Amazing! About halfway through them Juan Jose told me some stories about how he grew up eating them. For the main course I had the Peruvian Paella- yummy! Overall a great experience. If I lived in Sonoma, I'd be a regular at Sazon!

Reviewed November 2, 2012

We enjoy eating at a restaurant that is all about the food. The family takes pride in their menu. Our server was very good at helping us Peruvian food novices pick our order. She also talked about her visit to Peru. The food was delicious. We all shared our plates and no one was disappointed. The Picante de Mariscos, Aji de Gallina, Ceviche Mixto, and the Arroz con Mariscos. All had good portions. We intend to visit next time were in Sonoma.