“Great food overcomes odd ambience”
Review of Torch of India - Santa Rosa - CLOSED

Torch of India - Santa Rosa
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: B Street
Reviewed August 18, 2014

I dropped in for dinner with my wife and two kids (13 & 10). We all love Indian food. Narrow restaurant and odd restaurant layout. Tables lined up against one wall for the most part. Waiter was attentive but wore a baseball cap. We got our food and and dug into a delicious meal. Then, we became distracted by what appeared to be a preparation for a performance. Indian music began blaring and a belly dancer began performing. I don't think she was an Indian performer, but she certainly was throwing herself into the dance. Her hips and belly were gyrating to the embarrassment of my 13 year old. We all tried to avoid eye contact with her and not appear uncomfortable with the close proximity of this performance. it was all really awkward. SO, constructive criticism to the owners: Set up the tables and chairs differently and nix the performer, or at least have her dance on a stage at the front and not within arms length of a family eating dinner. Again, the food was really outstanding. You just need to pay attention to the ambience. Get the buffet stuff out of the way and overall make the layout more inviting. Finally, lose the baseball cap. Maybe its ok for a hamburger joint, but not an Indian restaurant.

There are newer reviews for Torch of India - Santa Rosa

Reviewed August 5, 2014

This review is for their weekday lunch buffet- limited selection but quality food. Buffet had one appetizer, one soup, four veg and three non veg curries, salad & two desserts. You have a choice of bread between naan & garlic naan. Naan arrives hot & fresh at the table. Curries in general were flavorful, looked fresh and not overly creamy. Soup and appetizer were a disappointment, dessert & salad were average.

While the food in general was good but nothing in the menu was finger licking good or exceptionally flavorful. Also, I found a complimentary drink missing in the buffet. A choice of drink like tea or soda in the buffet would have made up for the missing zing.

For the price, it's a reasonably good buffet. Staff is attentive & the place has an ethnic feel to it. Decor is mellow yet pleasing to the eyes. All in all, a good try!

Tip: They have recently increased their weekday lunch price to $9.99.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

I love indian food and I had not found a place since moving to the north bay. My boyfriend never had it so when I saw the sign for an all you can eat buffet meal, I thought a buffet would be best so he can try different flavors. It was a delightful break from our shopping in Santa Rosa. I was surprised how authentic the food was and it was pleasantly displayed with a lot of choices. The $8.99 price was great too. I love that they serve the bread hot to order. The decor is beautiful with linen napkins and cultural art on the walls, neat and clean, with excellent service. I recommend this place and will certainly go back.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

The owner is also the chef and is passionate about the quality of his food, which is exceptionally good, and varied.
Be careful when asking for spicy- you will definitely get it!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We've been to Torch of India for lunch three times in the last few months, and have come away completely happy each time. As vegetarians, it's often hard to find a place where we can have delicious, interesting food that's not cheese/sauce laden or boring. There are several vegetarian choices on the lunch buffet, and all of them are terrific. I've noticed that the lunchtime crowd is a mix of workers from downtown offices and couples/friends, plus a few solo diners, and this would be a comfortable spot to dine alone. Park across the street at the mall (the first hour or two are free) and walk the short distance to the restaurant.