“Great find”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: B Street
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We've been to Torch of India for lunch three times in the last few months, and have come away completely happy each time. As vegetarians, it's often hard to find a place where we can have delicious, interesting food that's not cheese/sauce laden or boring. There are several vegetarian choices on the lunch buffet, and all of them are terrific. I've noticed that the lunchtime crowd is a mix of workers from downtown offices and couples/friends, plus a few solo diners, and this would be a comfortable spot to dine alone. Park across the street at the mall (the first hour or two are free) and walk the short distance to the restaurant.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

The Torch of India is tucked away in a narrow rectangular space, but the food is delicious. The green papua salad is a great starter. We always have enough to take away and have a second meal at home. The curry dishes are well seasoned. The mild version still has a delightful bite to it.
The cost is reasonable and you receive value for your money.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

We went here last night to try out the new local Indian fare, and it was pretty good. I am a vegan and there were lots of options for me. However, I prefer to have a low-oil diet and if you are interested in this...you may not have a lot of luck here. One of the positives - the portion sizes are nice and large, and they offer a mint, tamarind and mango chutney with Papadums to start.

The chai tea is made with milk, but not sugar. So, if you enjoy adding your own sugar then you may like this.

I ordered Samosas which were overall pretty tasty. The spice level was good and they were not too greasy. I ordered the cucumber and tomato salad which was quite delicious, and large enough to share with the table. I also ordered the Baingan Bharta after being told that it wouldn't be too oily. However, it was a bit oily...but delicious. The Tandori Roti was also dressed in oil.

About the spice level... I was told that the spice levels were a little high and I enjoy that...so I ordered it medium and it was kinda spicy but not to the level that I was expecting.

My husband ordered the Chicken Bahar which he said was delicious. My friend who accompanied us ordered the Vegetable Goan Curry which in my opinion could have used a little more complexity and flavor. Again, the portion sizes were large and we had enough food to take home and enjoy for the next few days.

The staff was attentive, and the ambiance was nice and cozy. Our food did take a medium length of time to get...But then again, it was a Saturday night

Reviewed July 25, 2013

The restaurant is at the end of the downtown drag (or the beginning if you are coming from the other direction). So, don't park in the center of the drag if you want to avoid a walk. Both the appetizer and the main course were excellent. The Tikka Masala sauce was divine. We visited on a Saturday and the food was good enough that we came back Sunday but found the restaurant was closed. Fairly uncommon for a restaurant to be closed on a Sunday in a tourist town. While the people working there are friendly, they are not adequately staffed for the number of visitors they get. Hence service can be slow if they are busy. Pricing is very reasonable especially considering its location.

1  Thank stoprr
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Had a great meal last night with my elderly 85+ parents. We had two Tandori dishes of chicken and shrimp. Both were great. The nan bread was flavorful. I had a chai tea drink which I loved but it filled me up. The service was attentive and the food arrived 15 minutes after ordering and this was a busy Saturday night. I had Kashmiri Curry Chicken which was not too spicy but flavorful. We will go back again. This is a good option in Santa Rosa.