“Take This Tour!”

Got a photo?
Add it.
California Rivers Wine Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Wine tours of wineries and scenery throughout Sonoma County.
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I recently took my wife on a trip to the Sonoma region for her birthday. While there, I thought it would be a good idea to take a wine tour, so I got in touch with several local tour operators. John from California Rivers quickly became my preferred choice by far. The first good sign was that John's email responses were always quick, courteous, and informative. He made arranging our tour an absolute breeze, and the terms and plans were clearly and concisely described.

The day of our tour, John arrived at our hotel precisely on time and warmly greeted us. He even offered a stepstool to make it easier for my wife to enter the vehicle! As soon as we were underway, John was already describing the tour that lay ahead of us, and it sounded thrilling.

Our day began with a tour of the Korbel California champagne winery, which was fascinating and enjoyable. After that, John took us to several area wineries, including several smaller boutique vineyards that we might otherwise have missed. I'm glad we didn't miss them, though, because every stop on the tour was great.

Throughout the day, John was explaining the local history, bringing his significant experience in the area to bear. He told us some very interesting stories about his life in the Russian River area and the various tales of the wineries we visited, and the region as a whole. It added another dimension to the tour--this wasn't just a trip to several places to sample wine, it was a history lesson, a geography tour, and at one point, a feast: at one winery, John served us a delicious private lunch he had prepared just for us. The lunch consisted of a variety of tasty foods, including several vegetables John himself had grown. It even had a birthday cake for my wife, and John made sure to start the caroling of "Happy Birthday," in which some nearby patrons joined, adding just one more unforgettable moment to an unforgettable weekend.

I can summarize my opinion with this statement: if you are going to be in the Russian River/Sonoma area and you want to take a wine tour, you would be foolish to skip California Rivers Wine Tours.

There are newer reviews for California Rivers Wine Tours

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I first booked a tour with John for my girlfriends 30th and our group of 8 had such a good time that I went straight back to John for a friends Bachlorette party a few years later. He delivered again, great wineries, great van and service, and he came through with the food and treats again for lunch. Lots of small touches make his tour the best. Free tastings all over, homemade bread, jams, and pickles for lunch. Party favors to make the day more enjoyable if it's a special event. I highly recommend choosing California River Wine Tours for all your wine country vacations.

Reviewed March 12, 2012

I know wanted to have some words with me (although he never let on!!! He was very professional) but he reminded all of us to triple check to ensure we had left nothing behind at the end of our wonderful tour! We did except we are getting older and a bit more absent minded so we missed an item which was important. I contacted him at 8pm and was going to drive to him to get it as it was our fault not his. He took the meaning of going above and beyond for a customer to a new level as he came back at 7am the next day so i had the items for our flight at 8am the next day. He was so nice about it and even hugged me as I profusely apologized. He is a wonderful guide and warm and trustworthy. I highly recommend him! From his Friends in Phoenix

1  Thank jenCaveCreek_Az
Reviewed August 3, 2010

I recently toured the Russian River Wine region with John from California Rivers Wine Tour. I was part of a group of 8 people, all friends who love wine. We had a great time.

John was an excellent guide. After talking to us about what we wanted in a tour, he made preparations in advance. But when we changed our mind about one of the wineries, he was flexible and suggested an alternative winery. He really wanted it to be the tour we wanted.

We loved the homemade lunch he had waiting for us at one of the wineries as we returned from wine tasting. It was quite a spread!

As a native to the Sonoma area, John really knew his way around. He was friendly and made suggestions of other things we might want to do on our Sonoma vacation. We took advantage of his inside info and had a wonderful time.

I would highly recommend California Rvers Wine Tours. John will ensure you have a fun day plus his rates are affordable.

4  Thank howefortunate