All reviews our tour guide tent cabins animal noises behind the scenes mac and cheese next morning highly recommend this experience different species skipped dinner continental breakfast a lot of noise stayed for one night wine country sonoma county wine tasting animals africa
Selected filters
Reviewed June 22, 2018

Safari West was on my bucket list of things to do with my kids in the summer. I thought it was a great overall experience and worth the money (to do once, in our case!). My kids are 7 and 9. We stayed for one night in a safari tent and then did the safari the next morning. If you read about the experience of spending the night on the website, it very clearly states that the animals make a lot of noise at night. So we came prepared knowing that although we wouldn't get the best night of sleep, it was the experience of feeling like you were actually out camping in the middle of Africa that mattered. The property is awesome and we had a great time wandering around from the time of check in until dinner. We skipped dinner on the property (outrageously expensive) and went to Calistoga instead. When we returned, we relaxed on the deck, enjoyed the view, did a puzzle, etc. For bedtime, bathroom was great and we all showered with hot water and then jumped into our very comfortable beds. We were plenty warm. As I stated before, we were awoken at night many times by the sound of animals, but that was part of the experience, and none of us minded - we actually got a kick out of it! It was cold in the morning, but the second we turned the heater on, the tent warmed up to a comfortable temperature. The breakfast buffet was very good - plenty of options and tasty. The safari was really cool - my kids LOVED sitting at the top of the jeep and we were able to get really close to the animals. It was wonderful to have a guide to talk us through all the different species we observed. The whole experience is expensive, but it was well worth it for my family. We had a great time!
If you have AT&T, you will have full cellular service. Bring a lantern as there is not sufficient light in the bathroom during dusk/night/dawn.

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank CALove2Travel
Reviewed June 4, 2018

We loved the safari. It was the highlight of our CA vacation. Our guide Kendra was awesome. You could really tell that she has knowledge and a heart for animals. Dinner was really good. Loved the fresh appetizers and the steak, chicken and homemade sides. I was so tired that the kids and I went straight to sleep (despite some interesting animal noises). Our tent neighbors however kept my husband up until he had to ask them at midnight to "be considerate of their neighbors". That woke me up and thus little sleep the rest of the night (even with ear plugs). Safari West cannot control whether or not others have manners but it is something to consider if you need a good nights sleep. Breakfast was great as well. I wish they would consider adding some additional tents spaced out a bit more so that you didn't have to worry about the people next to you.

Room tip: If they are not full, perhaps ask for a tent away from others.
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
8  Thank Shawn M
Reviewed May 4, 2018 via mobile

Had an awesome time at Safari West. The tents exceeded my expectations. The bathrooms were really cold if you had to pee in the middle of the night, but other than that we had a great time. The dinner was also great. Tasty appetizers and which included a variety of fruit, cheese, crackers, meat balls and onion soup. The dinner was also tasty and filling. Dinner included chicken and ribs. Everything was great, but the Cesar salad had a little too much dressing. Seeing the animals was fun, you could get within a few feet of some gorgeous animals. Great experience. A little pricey, but will definitely come back.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank JarodAlan
Reviewed April 15, 2018 via mobile

Loved the place and sleeping so close to so many animals but we were freezing when we had to go to the bathroom or het out of bed. The animals were incredibly noisy as they do not sleep much at night. Te rooster appeared to be on eastern time as he started his calls at 3am. There was no hairdryer in my tent which surprised me but my husband was kind enough to walk to the office and bring one back to me. I do not feel ai got my money’s worth, however, after doing the tour the next day and seeing how much food those animals eat and how many employees they have to tend the animals, I consider the cost to be a donation to the cause.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Jared P, Public Relations Manager at Safari West, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2018

Hi Enid,

Thank you for this review. I'm sorry we missed the mark on the hairdryer but glad it worked out in the end. I'll mention this at our next staff meeting and make sure that all the tents are properly equipped.

Thank you for pointing out the cold and the animal sounds. While the tents are quite luxurious, they're still tents and you will hear the world outside. While many of our guests choose to stay with us for exactly this reason, it's good to come prepared. We always encourage light sleepers to bring ear plugs if they're concerned, and even keep some on hand in the office just in case. The tents are all equipped with heaters and heated blankets for those chilly, early spring nights, but the bathrooms cannot be heated the same way.

I'm sorry you didn't feel you got your money's worth, but thank you for recognizing the incredible cost—both financially and in terms of labor—that goes into running a wildlife preserve like ours. Please feel free to contact us directly if you have any further comments or concerns. I hope you'll consider visiting us again sometime (maybe in later spring or summer) and thanks again for your support.

Reviewed April 9, 2018

I have gone to Safari West two times recently: Once before the big fire and once afterward. The animals are being taken care of marvelously. I was most impressed with how obviously well cared for they are. And when the big fire hit Sonoma County, the owner and employees saved all the animals while the owner's own personal house burned to the ground.
The tour guides are well informed and extremely competent. I loved every minute I was on the tour and every minute I walked around the grounds, ate in the cafeteria, or shopped in the gift shop. This place is a gem!

Date of stay: January 2018
3  Thank basketbunny1
Jared P, Guest Relations Manager at Safari West, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2018

Thank you so much for this lovely review! It's always nice to hear from repeat guests and I'm so pleased to learn you continue to enjoy your time at Safari West. We were impacted by the fires and as you noted, Peter and Nancy as well as several other Safari West family members lost their homes. The good news is that we all got through it, human and animal alike, and now we're charging forward. Safari West is back in business and thanks to people like you, we've got a bright future ahead of us. Thanks again for the review and I hope we'll see you again soon!