Safari West
  • Pool
  • Pool
Sandman(Santa Rosa)
View Hotel
All reviewselectric blanketsour tour guidetent cabinsspace heaterwalking tourwild animalscape buffaloanimal noisesbehind the scenesstay overnightanimal parkeducational experienceoatmealthe entire experienceafrican wildliferoaming freenoisy at night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 27, 2013

If you like exotic animals this is the place for you! The luxury tents are great! No TV! No Cell Service - except in one spot.... Get away from it all! You will get to your tent by jeep! They are far apart! Take the tours - Once in a lifetime!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CTK1950
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I Loved every second except Leaving! Wish I had requested two nights, one was not enough. The bed is a heavenly cloud of comfort, warm and soft. The tent, is a tent, but I was perfectly comfortable. Exceptional customer service, I was driven back and forth when ever I wanted and promptly at the time expected. Dinner was so wonderful! Tri Tip and Onion Jam! Fabulous and Generous! The Safari Tour is Amazing, wonderful to see all the animals free, happy and so healthy! Even in October dust, their coats and eyes sparkle and shine. The guide seemed very well trained and was a great teacher, fascinating information! I would be thrilled to go again in a heart beat for two nights at least! Every thing about my visit exceeded my expectations! Dress in layers, comfortable shoes and warm slippers, canteen for plenty of delicious fresh spring water, and wish I had more cash in my pocket to tip the wonderful helpful staff!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank gunarCa
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stayed overnight and took the jeep tour the next morning. I had really wanted to visit, being a huge animal person (any and all animals), after my son had visited on a school field trip. The tents are very nicely decorated, fun, and something really different in a hotel! It was a very cold October night, but it was a lot of fun, in large part because we came prepared for the temperatures in the forties. The buffet dinner was an extra expense and really pricey for what it was (mac and cheese, barbecued chicken, potatoes, pesto pasta, french bread, bread pudding, beer and wine), but they were very well executed. Breakfast was included and it was okay, but everyone was jostling for the toaster oven to do their bagels, etc., and I just wasnʻt in for a wrestling match so I had a plain, untoasted bagel with some jam. Another toaster or two would be a good idea. I didnʻt see any eggs or hot items, but there was oatmeal. Nice fresh fruit, good coffee, hot chocolate for the kids. Freshly made orange juice was good, but warm. The tour was really fun, partly in a jeep up into the hills and on foot for part. To be within five feet of a cheetah and hear the purr ... amazing. The guides were great; I learned a huge amount about the animals and some really amazing stuff. Be sure to take a ride in the bench seat on the top of the cab of the jeep - really fun! Itʻs expensive, but we got an online deal for the tent and that made it possible. Iʻd love to go back in a little warmer weather. I hope I get the opportunity again! We always do a trip or activity for birthdays instead of presents, and this was my choice this year.

Room Tip: All the tents are great as far as location; we preferred a tent on the hill as opposed to the flat areas. The staff made sure to mention repeatedly that they wanted quiet after 10:00 p.m. and the guests complied, which was good because we were next to a tent with what sounded like 20 Girl Scouts! You have to remember that they are tents, and people can hear any conversation (or any noise) going on in or around the tent area.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 24karat
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We enjoyed the weekend getaway very much. The staff was friendly and helpful and very knowledgeable about animals. We enjoyed the buffet dinner very much. The tent cabin was very luxurious and we were looking forward to our first night " glamming". The blights on the experience: 1) an ant invasion on the tent walls just before bedtime. They extended onto the covers of the king bed: and we did NOT have food there . Fortunately my husband and I comfortably resettled on the lower queen sized bunk. Was very impressed by that option. Kids were happy on the top bunk. We turned on electric blankets. The ants were gone by the morning.

2) a mouse was scuttling across the cabin at night. I screamed when I woke up to find it nibbling at my daughter's backpack. Told the staff in the morning. They apologized but said they can't help that.

The facilities , public restrooms, etc are very clean. My lower ratings are due to the ants and the mouse in the cabin and the resulting poor night's sleep. Animal sounds outside were enjoyable.

Will definitely return for the safari and tours of the animals and also the dinner. Likely will find other accommodations in the area for the same price.

Kuang

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Kuang101
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here last week with 2 families. Everyone had so much fun especially the kids. We stayed overnight which enabled the kids to listen to different animal sounds early in the morning. Instead of getting scared, they were trying to guess which animal made the sound. The highlight of the trip was the truck ride of course. The bigger kids were able to sit on top of the truck and they swore it was the best view of all. As for the actual stay, everything went smooth. Check-in was brief and we were dropped in front of our cottages along with our stuff. We had cottages #3 and #4. The canvas tent was surprisingly welcoming and the beds comfy. It was a little chilly but we turned the heater on and snuggled under the covers. The bathroom was big and more than adequate. The only problem was that the water spills over the sink every time you use the faucets, and I have to use the hand towels around the sink so the water won't overflow. The breakfast the following morning had
the usual staples of bread, oat meal, cereals, coffee, tea, fruits, and freshly squeezed orange juice. The kids were looking for eggs which unfortunately they don't have. It would be nice to have a boiled egg as protein for breakfast. But that didn't spoil our stay at all. We are all looking forward to come back. Thank you, Safari West!

• Stayed: August 2013