I came expecting a pretty touristy experience, and the result was just the opposite. Rather than a zoo-like setting where you stare at animals in small cages, at Safari West you really felt like *you* were the exhibit, being invited into their homes for the animal's amusement... With 400 acres, they have different fences to keep some of the animals apart who might get agressive with each other, but other than that, the animals just roam the space. 6000 pound hippos, cape water buffalo, zebras (with babies!), giraffes and ostriches come up and to take a gander at you...
In one part of the trip, we were looking for a particular herd of something, and the guide said "they might be here, they might be there, but if not, we won't find them, they have 100 acres in this enclosure". And we didn't find them! It felt more wild to me than YellowStone natural, where the guides seem to know exactly where every bear is in the massive landscape.
The roads are rough, the jeeps are rugged and old, there is nothing touristy or packaged about this place. I was surprised and delighted. Great afternoon excursion for the family, and I'm looking forward to coming back to try the overnight camping experience...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to Africa by way of Sonoma County…Come discover the Sonoma Serengeti.The classic African safari is a trip of a lifetime for intrepid travelers from around the globe - and, it is closer than you think!. Families who are curious and wild at heart can get close to nature...very close! Marvel under the gaze of a graceful giraffe or explore the Sonoma Serengeti alongside romping rhinos. Our guests enjoy enlightening African wildlife safari drives, and “glamping” tent cabin accommodations. The sounds of Africa will echo in your dreams. Stay one night in a luxury safari tent located on Giraffe Alley, meet some giraffes and go on Safari! Is Safari West Family Friendly?The entire Safari West experience is a kid-friendly adventure for families to enjoy together. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Safari West reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Safari West Hotel Santa Rosa
- Safari West Santa Rosa, CA - Sonoma County