“Unique Experience”
Review of Safari West

Safari West
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I spent one night (midweek, 9/5/12) at Safari West to celebrate our 29th Wedding Anniversary. We arrived at 3pm to check into our cabin. The sleeping area was decorated nicely and the bed was firm, but comfortable with plenty of blankets, including an electric blanket. The canvas walls were thick and sturdy with windows so you could see outside. A floor heater was available, if needed. The bathroom area, separated from the bedroom via a door, had a net/screen-type of ceiling with canvas over the top, so the outside air moved about freely. It was a bit cool, but we got used to it. We did not purchase the BBQ dinner (which looked delicious), but brought dinner with us. We had plenty of time to kill before bedtime - exploring the grounds and seeing the animals in the caged areas. Plenty of animal noises throughout the night, which added to the stay. We saved the Safari Jeep Tour until the next morning. Great tour guide (I believe his name was Travis), saw quite a few animals from Africa and other places and met some nice people. It was a bumpy ride, but fun nonetheless. Continental breakfast included in the morning. A bit on the pricey side, but for the unique experience and special occasion, it was worth it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank k2d2California
There are newer reviews for Safari West

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Just had one of the most awesome and memorable experiences ever at Safari West! Not sure why more people don't know about it, but it is an absolute must do! Put it on your bucket list!

A group of us stayed in the luxury tents. I was concerned about how nice the accommodations would be because I am not a camper. It was the perfect blend of rustic and classy, with an unbelievable and once in a lifetime view. How often can you sit on your balcony, with a view of giraffes?!

Beautiful setting and the safari was fabulous. The guide was very informative. I learned a lot about the animals, their strips and camouflage, which are aggressive (surprisingly zebras are aggressive) and how they protect themselves. I never felt endangered even though we got very close to the animals.

The staff were all so nice and accommodating. The food was great, the fire pit was a great setting to hang out with friends. They have a bar and apace that was much better than I had anticipated.

I'd highly recommend you stay over night if you go, but even if you just go for the safari, it's worth it. The only thing I really didn't like was the cold bathrooms. The bedroom areas were very nice, incredibly roomy and comfortable. They had electric blankets and space heaters to keep the room nice and toasty. But, the bathrooms are vented to the outdoors. Otherwise the bathrooms are very nice, but rustic.

Be aware that there is no cell phone service up there. There are no TV, radios, or internet service in the rooms. You really disconnect from the hustle and bustle of normal life. They are very generous and allow you to use the lobby phone to call home. And, in the cafe, there is Internet service available, but it helps to really stay in the moment when you don't have many distractions.

Can't wait to go back. Make plans today!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Tracy J
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We did the safari only, but the accommodations looked like fun, and those who stayed overnight raved about the experience. All the Safari employees we interacted with were friendly and professional.Our guide, Mark, was very informative and we learned a great deal while seeing so many beautiful animals roaming around. We ended up on an all adults jeep, and were able to take the time to just sit in absolute quiet and observe. It was also a plus that even the animals that like to stay away from the trails made appearances on our 2pm tour. The price was a little high, but seeing the well maintained grounds, how the animals are cared for, the staff and animal handlers, and how much we enjoyed the tour made it worth every penny.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank FancyToes
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Our family of 5 (kids ages 8, 6 and 2) stayed here in June. It was a fun adventure (and very comfortable too). We arrived around 1 and had a 2pm jeep ride (which worked out perfectly). We checked in and put our things in our tent before the tour. The tour was very extensive and you get to see all the animals up close. The guide was very knowledgeable and there are a lot of animals to see. I loved the giraffes and zebras while my kids took a special liking to the baby monkeys. Truly a wonderful experience!

Our tent was great too. We has a king and bunk beds (we brought a pack and play for our youngest). The beds were comfy and had electric blankets, which came in handy as it was a bit chilly that weekend. The only issue I had was that the top bunk, although beautiful and hand crafted, had no railing so I didn't feel comfortable putting my son up there (so I slept there instead).

Dinner was good. There was BBQ chicken and ribs with lots of side dishes. I wouldn't call it amazing but it was good. The wine was excellent! The kids also had fun roasting marshmallows. Breakfast was fine too. It was a basic continental with oatmeal.

Overall we really enjoyed this trip and I would highly recommend Safari West. It was a bit expensive but the experience was worth it and your money goes to a good cause.

Room Tip: Ask for a tent overlooking the giraffes.
4  Thank lenals
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Great accommodations, great safari. Food (BBQ) was fine, but nothing special. Staff is very good.

Room Tip: The tents are luxury rooms with canvas walls. Giraffe alley location is closer to the animals and l...
1  Thank WizardGJM
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed one night at SW (along Giraffe Alley), took a tour and had lunch at the onsite restaurant after our tour. When we checked in, someone gave us and our luggage a ride to our assigned tent cabin (tent 20), pointing out the amenities and telling us the cafe and restaurant hours along the way. As we waited outside reception for our cabin assignments we were greeted by other staff members who asked if we needed a ride. It was a great reception to SW! The cabin was really great. It had canvas walls and roof, screens for windows, wood floors, a large attached bathroom with a shower, flushing toilet & sink, a comfortable bed with an electric blanket, a heater, and a cooler. Reception will provide ice upon request. There was a fan in the cabin which was nice because it was warm when we first arrived. Lighting in the cabin was provided by a hanging light and two lamps. The doors do not lock but that didn't bother me. The water pressure in the shower was pretty bad. The shower head was directly overhead, but fortunately a shower cap was provided. I would hate to have to take a shower here when it is really cold. I noticed they had board games at the restaurant but did not ask whether they were available to check out.

One of the giraffes came up to a small tree near our cabin and tried to reach the leaves. It was really neat to see the giraffe up close. After dinner we walked around the property and it was nice to see the various birds walking around. There were marshmallows for roasting and a toasty fire, coffee and hot chocolate at the restaurant in the evening. The animals were loud throughout the night. They made quite a racquet in the very early morning. Some in our party were unaffected by the cacophany but I benefited from using earplugs. Since we were there in June the cooler evening temperature was very nice and helped us fall asleep. In the morning, we had breakfast (toast, bagels, cereal, oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, coffee, fresh squeezed orange juice) at the restaurant.

Our tour was excellent. Our tour guide Alex was great with the children in our group, very knowledgeable about SW and the animals and very easygoing. We were all very impressed by the amount of information he knew and communicated to us. There was a lot of ground that we covered and lots of animals to see. The kids really enjoyed sitting up top and going over the bumps! The tour started with a 30 minute walk through an aviary and then by various enclosures, followed by a roughly two hour ride in a safari jeep. The lunch buffet was great, especially since we were hungry by the end of our tour. The fare was good (BBQ pulled pork sandwich, Caesar salad, potato salad, Mac n cheese, bean salad, BBQ chicken, and rice pudding for dessert).

There were some missteps, however. There were supposed to be 2 futons in our cabin. There was none when we arrived. The staff member who gave us a ride to our cabin promised to bring the futons, but it took staff about an hour (following a walk down the hill to reception to enquire about the status of our futons) to bring the promised futons. A staff member told us there would be a feeding at lemur island at 8:30 pm. But we waited and waited and there was no feeding. Someone walking by told us that all staff members went home and there would be no feeding. We were disappointed and not happy about the misinformation. My last gripe is that they only provided water with the $15.00 per person lunch buffet. One would think that a drink (soda or juice) would be provided for that price.

Overall, I would rate SW very good because it is a unique experience, the grounds and accommodations are well thought out, and the staff is very friendly. I would suggest more lighting in the cabin bathroom and better water pressure for the shower. There was a single light in the bathroom and it was a challenge to put my contacts in and put on makeup because the light was near the center of the room. A light by the mirror would have been helpful. These are just minor things that did not detract from our overall enjoyment of our visit to SW! Well done SW!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank avidtravels19
SafariMark, Guest Relations Manager at Safari West, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2012

We are happy you enjoyed your stay and many thanks for your detailed comments. We truly strive hard to make all our guest experiences exceed their expectations and your comments are very helpful to us, we are looking closely at each one. I thank you for your time. Have a great summer, Mark

Reviewed July 6, 2012

My 16 year old granddaughter and I stayed here, and we both thoroughly enjoyed the experience. As has been noted by others, the staff is welcoming and knowledgable and everyone seems happy to be working there. We loved tent #18, right above the giraffes. Yes, the flamingos are noisy all night, but aren't the sounds of the wild part of the adventure? It was chilly when we visited (June), but by following the recommendations to turn on the space heater when we went to dinner, we found the tent completely comfortable for sleeping. The dual control electric blanket kept us toasty. Dinner wasn't fancy, but it was tasty, and I enjoyed a good glass of wine with my meal. There were marshmallows for toasting on the outdoor firepit, and everyone seemed to have their own opinion on the best methods for the perfect degree of doneness. The next morning, we enjoyed a more than adequate continental breakfast. Hot chocolate, always available, was a welcome way to ward off the chill. We took the 10am jeep tour, and sat up top, grateful for the blanket that was provided. We first toured the aviary and penned animals. Our guide, Jeff, was informative, amusing, and very easy to understand. The jeep ride out into the vast acreage beyond the penned areas was amazing. We seemed to travel a long way, visiting different herds in the locations they seemed to have staked out. There were ample photo opportunities. I would do this visit again in a heartbeat, perhaps adding on the Behind the Scenes tour. I would recommend this for both adults and children. If I had any suggestions for Safari West it would be that labels on the penned animals would be helpful. There were a few, but many more that were a mystery.

Room Tip: We loved #18. It is close to the giraffe pen, and has other animals in it also. The birds are nois...
2  Thank krsfromva