“Nice, Oasis in the City”

Luther Burbank Home and Gardens
Ranked #7 of 99 things to do in Santa Rosa
More attraction details
Owner description: Anyone interested in plants will enjoy this site commemorating the work of famed horticulturist Luther Burbank, who introduced over 800 new plant varieties, including the Idaho Potato. The site includes an acre of gardens with many of the naturalist's creations, a beautiful greenhouse he built in 1889, and his Greek Revival home.
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I'm a very rural Country gal. City life isn't really me. So when I see something like the Luther Burbank Home in the middle of a city the size of Santa Rosa... I stop and take time to really "see" it. The gardens are all well maintained by the volunteers. Or docents, as they like to call them here. The information they provide is spot on, intelligent and not so wordy as to bore you to tears. ;-) The place, surprisingly, is peaceful. Winter is not the time to visit as you will not be able to see the indoors of the Home and of course.... the gardens never look as spectacular as they do when green, blooming.....and full of vitality.

There are newer reviews for Luther Burbank Home and Gardens

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We arrived early and had a great tour of the house and grounds. The docent was well informed and able to answer so many of our questions. Burbank's work was amazing.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Luther Burbank Home and Gardens are a wonderful addition to the Santa Rosa, California attractions. We visited the site due to Paramahansa Yogananda's friendship with Mr. Burbank. (Yogananda dedicated his famous "Autobiography of a Yogi" to Burbank). Not surprisingly, it was an energetic and pleasant visit. However, we were disappointed that the homes, greenhouse, etc. are not open during the winter months. We did appreciate that the gardens were open on a donation-basis during the winter months.

1  Thank Amrita A
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Historical and practical. I based my green house design on the one I saw on the property. I did not realize the contributions made by Luther Burbank prior to my visit.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Wonderful history! Nice docent led tour. So many roses! Learned so much about Luther Burbank and the area.