“smoke and gas smell in the room each day”
Review of Vintners Inn

Vintners Inn
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Manhattan Beach, California
“smoke and gas smell in the room each day”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I bought the TravelZoo deal for this hotel. The deal was $450 + tax for two nights, plus a $75 dinner voucher at the John Ash & Co Restaurant, and a couple of wine tasting coupons. When I called months ahead to book the room that I wanted, Mikala, one of the front desk staff, said they cannot promise me that the room that I wanted would be available. I did not find her to be very friendly. There are a lot of nice things about this hotel, and I would like to give a fair review. Here are the pros and cons that I found:

PROS: Check-in went smoothly, the Concierge, Ryan, was the best! He generously offered me 2-for-1 coupons for many wineries, including the ones that I requested. The hotel has boxes and boxes of 2-for-1 coupons for the wineries, so make sure you ask them for them. The other front desk staff person did not offer these coupons to me on her own.

The hotel grounds are very pretty and nicely landscaped with colorful flowers and shrubs. I had requested the corner room in building further from the freeway because I had read in the reviews that this building would be quieter. I got a room in the building I requested, but I did not get the room I requested. The room was quiet at night, which was great. I thought the room was very nice, spacious, clean, the bed comfortable and the room had a nice view of the vineyard.

CONS: Everything was going great until about 5pm, when suddenly the room filled with the smell of gas and smoke. I thought maybe they had started a BBQ on the grounds. This was the only reason that I could think of for smelling this odor. I hoped that once the BBQ got going, that the smell would become less or maybe the wind would carry the odors away.

It ends up that the smell was from one of the fireplaces in an adjacent room. Many of the rooms here have fireplaces, including the room that I stayed in. The problem is that I was getting a gassy, smoky smell in the room when my fireplace was not on. I realized that the smell was coming from one of the adjacent rooms! I had just arrived in town that day and I was really too exhausted to complain or think about it at the time. At that time I was tired after a day of traveling and I did not feel like changing rooms, and repacking my clothes & belongings in order to switch rooms.

The next day I had a guest visiting me at the hotel. At about 5pm, when we were relaxing in the room, the smoky & gassy smell filled the room again. My guest commented, "what's that smell?!" I told her that I thought that the smell was one from a lit fireplace in an adjacent room. She said, "Wow, that's terrible!"

I told my guest, that if it wasn't for that smell this would be a great hotel. Due to that odor, this becomes a below-average hotel. The smell of smoke and gas in the room is totally unacceptable for a nice hotel.

When I told the manager, Mike, about this smell, he was dismissive. He did not help me in any way. He told me that if I had told him earlier, he would have let me switch rooms. I did not tell him that Pricilla at the front desk had already told me that the hotel was sold out for the weekend and all the rooms taken.
After one weekend at the Vintner's Inn in Santa Rosa, my main problems with this hotel were the service and the smell in the room. A good hotel should not, in no way, have a smoky, gas smell in the room. They need fix the fireplace ventilation system in this hotel. Also, the gas smell could possibly be dangerous to one's health.

The other problem: the service. From the beginning of my interactions with the staff at this hotel, I felt that because I had the TravelZoo voucher / deal, they were treating me like I was a second class citizen. From my first encounter with Mikala on the phone, I felt like she was somewhat unfriendly with trying to help me once I told her that I had the TravelZoo voucher.

Many of the staff at this hotel should learn that just because a customer has a Voucher or an on-line deal, you should not treat those customers with the voucher differently than full-paying customers. One of the important points of the on-line deals is that your business is getting advertising and publicity by offering these on-line deals. By getting people to come try the hotel at a discounted price, your hopes should be to build a following of loyal customers who enjoy staying at your hotel and who want to return year after year.

If I had a better experience at this hotel, I would definitely considered retuning there again. I love Sonoma County and Napa Valley! I already have plans to return to the area in May with a group of 15 friends for the Bottle Rock concert series.

If this hotel had provided better, friendlier and warmer service and if there had not been a gas smell in room, I would definitely have come to stay here again. But due to how the circumstances were, I would not come to stay here again. I do not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a building away from the freeway.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank s b
SueBurnet, Manager at Vintners Inn, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
I am so sorry that your stay was marred by the smell of smoke and a less than friendly, warm reception. I can only guess that wind conditions may have contributed to this or an open window or door. We are actually in the process of checking and upgrading the chimney caps and have just started our annual chimney cleaning. The smell of gas, however, has me puzzled because there is no gas service in the guest buildings. I forwarded this to our maintenance department for comment. Regarding your feelings that you were treated differently because you had a Travelzoo voucher is just not the case. We value all of our guests and have enjoyed a fabulous relationship with all of our Travelzoo guests, many of whom have become frequent visitors. I'm sorry if you felt differently, I have addressed this with everyone at the front desk. If you wish to give us another try in the future, please call me directly so I can assist you with your reservation. Thank you Sue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed two nights at the Vintner's Inn on a Travelzoo package. We were not disappointed. Everything at the Inn is first class, from the furnishings to the amenities. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Little touches like the turndown service and cookies by the bedside were a nice touch. Every room has a nice view. I loved the coffee in the lobby of each building in the morning. It is so much better than making a little pot in the room each morning. Location is great for visiting many Sonoma wineries. Rooms are spacious and bedding is extremely comfortable. I will definitely make a return visit.

Room Tip: Any room is a good choice.
1 Thank jammer
SueBurnet, Manager at Vintners Inn, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for those very nice comments, I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay. I hope you'll visit us again in our beautiful Sonoma Wine Country. Sue
Hydesville, California
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We had always seen the Hotel as we went to various wineries in the area over the years and never made it there. We'll go back again. It is very easily accessible right off 101, close to great wineries, and a good central location to explore Sonoma, Napa, Bodega Bay, Sebastapol, Healdsburg, Guerneville. You don't walk around here, you have to drive. The Kendall Jackson Winery is next door and this Hotel would be a great place to stay if you attend the annual Tomato Harvest Festival at Kendall Jackson.

Lovely, "private estate" feel. Quiet. Beautifully landscaped. Spacious rooms (some with fireplaces) are grouped together inside individual "cottages" and the cottages surround a central courtyard with a fountain. My patio faced the vineyards and it was a peaceful, sunfilled, quiet morning by which to enjoy coffee and a bucolic view before heading out to explore. No pool and the Spa/Exercise facilities need some sprucing. But I was there to explore and wander not to hang out at the pool.

Lots of restaurants within easy driving distance. John Ash, always a favorite for fresh,seasonal food, is on the premises and we strolled on over one night. Beautiful weather that weekend and the 5 minute short, slow, stroll was so pleasant thru the courtyard, fountain and then the restaurant. Very romantic and no stress.

San Rafael, California
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My husband and I only spent a night here, but felt far, far away from our daily lives and left refreshed the next day. Our room was spacious, well laid out and had a small balcony overlooking a courtyard. Other rooms overlook a vineyard. The furnishings, bedding, etc. were all of very high quality. We dined at the restaurant on site, John Ash & Co. Our drinks at the bar were well made and delicious. We were seated in the dining room looking out at the vines and the sunset, absolutely beautiful. Our meal was great and the chef came out to greet some of the diners. We had a lovely night at the Vintner's Inn and I look forward to going back.

SueBurnet, Manager at Vintners Inn, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you, I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again. Sue
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Have had the pleasure of staying at this location twice. It is a perfect starting point for a wine country weekend, and a perfect place to come back after a day on the road wine tasting. Location is perfect, staff is excellent, grounds are stellar and rooms are large and comfortable. Our rooms have been ground floor rooms, with relaxing patios and plenty of room to store our purchases :) I recommend wandering down the 'jogging path', and relaxing in the hot tub. Breakfast was an excellent treat.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JFishe
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a really welcoming, comfortable, and enjoyable place to stay for the Russian River and/or upper Sonoma valley wine regions. Appearances when approaching are deceptive, but make the heart sink. Just off a busy freeway and directly opposite a huge electric transformer substation, it looks like it could be very noisy and disappointing. In fact, the rooms are really comfortable, the staff extremely helpful, the restaurant (John Ash & Co.) superb, and the views agreeably relaxing (across small but picturesque vineyards, or into a very pleasant courtyard with a nice fountain that helps mask freeway sounds).

Room Tip: Ask for one on the side opposite the freeway if available.
1 Thank NIPSparticipant
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We LOVED our entire experience at Vintner's Inn!!! The Inn had a lovely view of the vineyards, and even though it was close to the highway we never heard traffic. ( In fact, it was quite a convenient location to everything. We could just jump on the freeway and go exploring.) The staff was so welcoming upon arrival. They treated us to passes to wineries, a bottle of wine, and chocolates. Fresh coffee was waiting outside our room every morning- which was such a bonus! THe food was incredible, as well. We are hoping to stay there again on our next trip out there!!

Room Tip: The inn has clusters of rooms- the first floor is ideal.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel La Rose
Hotel La Rose
#4 of 25 in Santa Rosa
MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa

Been to Vintners Inn? Share your experiences!