“Luxury near but away from Napa madness”
Review of Vintners Inn

Vintners Inn
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We could not take advantage of the multiple night travelzoo offer but we did get 1 night cheaper plus $75 off any meal on the premises (3 $25 certificates so you can divide use). We had a downstairs room which was lovely and like being in the garden. It is true that they do not seem to let anyone in before 4 but several of us that arrived at 3:30 were sent 5 min down the road to the Old World winery for a tasting (we were reeling fm our travelzoo Sonoma tastings but went anyway!). The tasting was very good and if you bought a bottle, you got a stamped card that entitled you to get it uncorked for free at the John Ash restaurant (not sure if it was really needed as there was other wine for sale at the hotel plus your free half bottle for coming but it worked for us and was a very decent wine). We then got our room and saw that there was a free wine and cheese tasting in the parlor next to check-in at 6. We went to that-it was from Ridge winery and also very good plus some food badly needed by then. We had a great dinner at the John Ash Restaurant (do not know if it is necessary but we made the reservation when we got the travelzoo voucher for the hotel) with our less expensive wine for a little over $100 reduced to $31 with the coupons. It was great value with very nice service even to all us coupon and cheap wine people. I did eat some breakfast for about $10 plus tip (I did get the free small and delicious scone!). I was there early so service was very good and another quiet pleasant eating experience. I took a walk through the vinyard on their jogging path which is nice to do early in the morning. I would stay here again and recommend this to anyone especially with one of the travelzoo deals. There is also a lovely event pavillion among the olive groves. Lastly this is convenient to both Napa and Sonoma but not as wild.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sue B, Manager at Vintners Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Thank you so much for your glowing review. I think we've made converts out of many guests who think of Napa as wine country until they experience Sonoma Wine Country. We hope you'll visit us again, with or without Travelzoo. There's lots more to see and do. Sue

Reviewed September 8, 2012

We stayed two nights in this place and we loved it!We had a room upstairs with a fireplace and a balcony with awsome vew of the vineyards!Large room ,great bed.The grounds are beautiful. Nice country breackfast room.We had a delicious breackfast on their patio.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank ANNONYMOUS34225
Reviewed September 8, 2012

This hotel was riduculously snooty. They insisted on making us wait unit just before 4 to check in, claiming that not one of the rooms would be ready until that time. When I realized my check in form said it came with a continental breakfast, the lady said oh no that is an old form there is no breakfast. I had to continue to complain, then the manager came out and honored the contract. At 11:15 we thought we should go see the on site restaurant for lunch and a glass of wine. We walked in and ask the lady if we could have a seat, and she said no we don't serve lunch until 11:30. We asked if we could just sit down and have a drink while we wait and she said we had to wait outside because the servers had not lined up yet!!! We left and went to the downtown area which was lovely. In the early evening we met up with some friends who were having a late lunch....It was 3:00 and the restaurant was empty. We asked if we could sit with them and have a drink and the hostess told us that the patio was reserved for dining customers only. This restaurant is too much!!! I could not believe how difficult the hotel and restaurant made the stay. The attitude is absolutely OUTRAGIOUS for the price you pay!!!!

Room Tip: The rooms here are completely overpriced for what you get, which is a decent room but nothing specia...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank blondie549
Sue B, Manager at Vintners Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

I am sorry your experience with us was so unsatisfactory. It's certainly not the impression we want you to take away with you. I know that it seems unfair not to allow an early check in, sometimes we can accommodate early arrivals and sometimes we can't. Early check in requests are given priority, however, with a limited staff I'd rather not make a promise we can't keep. I have passed your comments on the restaurant for their review.

I certainly hope the rest of your stay in wine country was pleasant. Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments. Sue

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Great little resort hotel away from the touristy Napa scene.Big comfortable rooms, excellent beds and good amenities. The only thing missing was a pool (it was very hot when we stayed) and there's space near the hot tub for one.,,so maybe in the future.Above all, we enjoyed the friendliness and generosity of the staff. Every morning at breakfast they brought us complimentary fresh scones with home made preserves, and in the evening the waitress ensured we didn't run out of bread with our charcuterie. Nice. Other places seem to want to squeeze you for every dollar.Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
SueBurnet, Manager at Vintners Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Thank you. We hope you'll come visit us again and continue to enjoy our beautiful Sonoma Wine Country. Sue

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Loved this little resort hotel! Right next to the interstate -great for quick exit back to San Francisco. Little bit of drive to the wineries. Cozy large rooms! Fireplaces, high ceilings, balconies. Love the jogging path through the vineyards-take a friend w you if u go early am. Breakfast in the hotel was delicious! Loved the bar at the John ash restaurant next door-get the perfect pair cocktail for sure. Cookie delivery at turn down service-awesome! Seriously wonderful retreat. Could have stayed for a week. We did a 2 night travelzoo deal-perfect. We were rested for another few days in San Fran after this.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Caveat emptor. When you agree to the terms and conditions on the website, the hotel explicitly states that the price of the room can change from when you book to when you arrive. What kind of policy is that, besides a policy of greed? It is completely counter to the experiences I have had at every other hotel where I have stayed around the world (well, apart from resort fees). To be specific, the rate for my room was $415 on the day I made the reservation. When I checked out, I was charged $435. Curiously, the difference is exactly the $20 they would have charged for cancelling a reservation - what a surprise!

It is a lovely property with gorgeous rooms set in the middle of a picturesque vineyard. The food and service were excellent, but this obnoxious reservation policy is foolish, petty and idiotic. It takes away from the classiness of the place and makes it a place I would never recommend despite its other charms.

Room Tip: A vineyard view would be preferable and quieter than the courtyard view. Second floor rooms have hi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Travel_Dude1
SueBurnet, Manager at Vintners Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the Inn. I would like to follow up on your comments but I don't know your name or when you stayed. If you're willing to email me directly I can look into your comments. We're not in the habit of changing rates once you've booked so I'm curious what happened. You can contact me at sburnet@vintnersinn.com I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

I loved this place. My bf and I stayed for 4 nights. Our room was very big and able to handle our suitcases and all of our souvenirs from an extended stay in Arizona without anyone tripping over anything. The king sized bed and pillows were very comfortable. We had a small outdoor patio adjacent to the vineyard which allowed us to sit outside in our hotel supplied bathrobes (soft and thick) to listen to the quiet (we're bona fide city folks) and talk.

The full sized fireplace in our room was used each night and added cozy ambient light. The bathroom was also spacious and clean with separate shower space and whirlpool tub. I liked the upholstered stool in the bathroom that allowed me to set my things down or sit down on a chair as opposed to a closed toilet seat (as is the usual). Towels were plentiful, always a sign that customer comfort is paramount. I hate it when I only get one towel set (it's stingy).

Being close to a power station didn't bother me at all and it actually helped us as a visual landmark when returning late at night. Neither one of us returned to our home town glowing in the dark. Also, I was never disturbed by any highway traffic noise as it didn't exist.

Concierge was very helpful and friendly. This is a wonderful oasis. Unpretentious and welcoming. I'd come back to this gem in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Our room was near the back of the property, away from the restaurant and lobby. I think this cuts d...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel La Rose
Hotel La Rose
#3 of 24 in Santa Rosa
MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa

Been to Vintners Inn? Share your experiences!