“Romance in Wine Country”
Review of Vintners Inn

Vintners Inn
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I loved this place. My bf and I stayed for 4 nights. Our room was very big and able to handle our suitcases and all of our souvenirs from an extended stay in Arizona without anyone tripping over anything. The king sized bed and pillows were very comfortable. We had a small outdoor patio adjacent to the vineyard which allowed us to sit outside in our hotel supplied bathrobes (soft and thick) to listen to the quiet (we're bona fide city folks) and talk.

The full sized fireplace in our room was used each night and added cozy ambient light. The bathroom was also spacious and clean with separate shower space and whirlpool tub. I liked the upholstered stool in the bathroom that allowed me to set my things down or sit down on a chair as opposed to a closed toilet seat (as is the usual). Towels were plentiful, always a sign that customer comfort is paramount. I hate it when I only get one towel set (it's stingy).

Being close to a power station didn't bother me at all and it actually helped us as a visual landmark when returning late at night. Neither one of us returned to our home town glowing in the dark. Also, I was never disturbed by any highway traffic noise as it didn't exist.

Concierge was very helpful and friendly. This is a wonderful oasis. Unpretentious and welcoming. I'd come back to this gem in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Our room was near the back of the property, away from the restaurant and lobby. I think this cuts d...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GSharpMajor

Reviewed August 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed here last night, the decor was very elegant and romantic. We decided to order room service and the food was phenomal! I would definetly rate the food a 5 star plus!!!! The entire staff was very friendly. We would definetly stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed here on the recommendation of a travel agent. Wow, what a nice place to discover. The service was perfect. Non obtrusive and efficient. Close to the highway? Yes, but we never noticed it while we were there. Close to a power sub station? I guess, but once on the property, you can't see it, so who cares?
Highly recommend!

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Sue B, Manager at Vintners Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Thank you so much for all your kind words. I've shared your comments with the front desk, the breakfast crew and the restaurant. We hope you'll come visit us again and enjoy the pleasures of Vintners Inn and Sonoma Wine Country. Sue

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Yes, I read another reviewer just wrote that when you check in as a couple they give you one key. That is true- so if that is not OK why don't you just ask for another? One key was fine for my husband and I, and I am a fussy New Yorker(had we found it inconvenient we would have just asked them for a second key). The room was large and clean, with a fireplace and lovely view of the courtyard and fountain. It has a quiet and romantic feel yet it was easy to drive to visit vinyards in nearby towns. I must say as we drove off the highway and there were powerlines and a power station on the corner we were skeptical turning into the driveway of this inn. However, the property is lovely. There are gardens, two fountains, and there is a working farm behind the inn with grapes, sheep and horses. The inn has a jogging trail for visitors to enjoy the farm. We had a delicious breakfast, with a very attentive waiter after a wonderful sleep in the most comfortable bed I had during my trip to the Sonoma area. My husband and I took a jog and enjoyed seeing the rows of grapes growing, as they are beginning to turn red.We were only disappointed in the fact that we could only stay one night and had to leave and find another local spot during our trip to Sonoma.

Room Tip: We enjoyed a second story room, the view is terrific.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you. April is usually a pretty good month for sunny warm weather, however, we can't predict it. At least the wineries were open and the wine superb - we'll be here for your next visit. Sue

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Let me enumerate why my husband and I rated this as terrible:
1.) On checking in, the Front Desk was giving us only one key. All hotels we have stayed in automatically gave us 2 keys for access.
2.) Free half bottle of white wine from Ferrari Carano; but everything else in the room is chargeable, including 2 bottles of water (the Ritz Carlton, the Bardessono, the Aman resorts, even Hotel Healdsburg offer bottles of water for free!)
3.) Showerhead spurts water directly over the glass wall and not on your head so when you need to have a shower, you literally have to squeeze in to get some water. The showerhead is not even adjustable
4.) You have to wait 50 minutes for your breakfast but asking for your bill produces faster service
5.) the bog shakes so while you're sat there doing whatever it is you need to do, be careful not to fall off
6.) the lady who took our comments did not even list down these things so presumably, there'll be nothing done about it

We should have just stayed longer in Hotel Healdsburg and had another dinner at the Charlie Palmer's....

Room Tip: What room? Just do not book here.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank B-cube
Sue B, Manager at Vintners Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

I'm so sorry your stay with us this past May was less than satisfactory. It is actually a compliment, however, that you compared us to those amazing hotels. Yes, I'm sure the amenities, including water, are complimentary at those hotels but the room rates are also much more than they are at Vintners Inn. There is a balance we try to achieve in order to keep the rates a bit more affordable. Vintners Inn is not for everyone. I'm pleased that you gave us a try but am sorry we're not the hotel for you. I hope the rest of your stay in this country was exceptional. Sue

Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here two nights so we could enjoy a wine-tasting event in their special events center without having to drive to another hotel. Bottom line: We loved it! Very quiet, tranquil and romantic place to stay despite its location next to a busy highway. Once you enter their property, the landscaping, water fountains and buildings combine to provide a peaceful retreat.

Positives: Rooms are absolutely lovely. Our second floor room was quite large and very clean; it had a fireplace, balcony overlooking the courtyard and jacuzzi tub/shower. The small cafe served a delicious and inexpensive breakfast and we had a great family style dinner at John Ash. The overall facilities were very well maintained and appointed. We particularly loved the 1/2 mile jogging trail through the vineyards.

Negatives: Small property so weddings and other events tend to leak over to your experience regardless of whether you are a part of those events. Nothing to do, see or visit (eg, other restaurants, shops, etc) withing walking distance. Jacuzzi tub was VERY small - would not fit anyone over 4 ft in length - kinda pointless. No on-demand movies and no DVDs available for the DVD players in the rooms (bring your own). No elevators for second floor rooms or bell service so expect to carry your own bags. (Not a big deal for us but could be for older guests.) Expensive rates but normal for the area and quality.

Overall, we had a great stay and would not hesitate to return. Thanks for a lovely and relaxing experience.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Vintners Inn really out did themselves with this getaway . Beautiful Inn and grounds . FANTASTIC FOOD ! Room was really nice with a great complementary bottle of wine . Staff was warm , friendly . I had forgotten how nice Santa Rosa and the surrounding towns and country side were. FUN , FUN . I'd definately do it again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Sue B, Manager at Vintners Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2012

i'm glad you enjoyed most of your stay. Although you didn't care for our location, we're easy to get to and a relatively short drive to the Russian River, Dry Creek, Sonoma Valley and Napa Valley appellations, the coast and only a little over an hour to San Francisco. While many people think of us as a romantic destination, we have many business associates, families and friends who stay with us every week. In the event friends don't want to share a bed, they usually ask for a room with a sofabed or for a rollaway. Thank you for thinking we're a fairly new property. The Inn was built in 1984 and the restaurant followed about 5 years later. The Event Center is new and was opened in 2006. Vintners Inn obviously isn't ideal for everyone, but i do hope you enjoyed seeing this beautiful area and experiencing the wonderful local foods at our restaurant and others in Sonoma County. Sue

Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Rosa
MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa
Courtyard Santa Rosa
Courtyard Santa Rosa
#9 of 25 in Santa Rosa

Been to Vintners Inn? Share your experiences!