“Great Stay and Meal”
Review of Vintners Inn

Vintners Inn
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Reviewed February 1, 2008

We also stayed on the Travelzoo stay for my fiance's 32nd birthday. The room was wonderful, the tub is deep and wonderful to soak in with a nice book. The snack bar was not outrageously priced as we expected, and turndown service cookies were divine.

The only improvement I would recommend to them would be the pathways that lead from the parking lot to the rooms need to be slightly more rolling luggage friendly (it is small gravel).

The meal at John Ash was wonderful - I highly recommend the deviled egg trio as a starter. It was one of those meals where everytime you take a bite you simply want to close your eyes and savor.

The morning we got up to check out I cut my head on the shower when I flipped my head forward to put my wet hair in a towel. This resulted in me needing to go to the ER for 9 stitches. I called the desk to let them know there was some blood in the bathroom (so housekeeping was prepared) and the desk agent was so worried about me, thoughful, and offered to all an ambulance.

My only disappointments were the diffuculty pulling luggage on the paths as I mentioned, and that when I emailed to see if I would be charged for the 2 towels I ruined when injured I never got a response. At a 5 star resort I would expect a response to every valid email.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 3, 2008

We got a fantastic deal on travelzoo.com and decided to book a couple of rooms with friends for an after-Christmas treat. Although located off of busy hwy 101, the inn and grounds are spectacular.

There is a main building housing the lobby, a sitting room with fireplace, and the most quaint, French country-style breakfast room. Separate buildings have clusters of rooms with either ground floor patios or upper balconies, some with beamed cathedral ceilings and fireplaces. All overlook either the central landscaped courtyard with a large fountain or acre after acre of grapes in the surrounding vineyard. We never heard the highway and never saw or heard the nearby (across the main road) power station. Rooms were rather large, very nicely equipped. We had turndown service with excellent cookies and half a bottle of the house wine from Ferrari Carano winery, which owns the inn. Our rooms had king beds, two large chairs and a table, a tv armoire, a desk and chair, a sofa, double sink area, large bath/shower bathroom, and still plenty of room left to really spread out.

Even if you don't plan to eat there, you must go see the John Ash restaurant. It's so quaint, full of character, and wonderfully appointed that you'll be taking picture after picture. In addition to the restaurant there is a wonderful, fun bar area (free appetizers every Wed evening for happy hour), beamed-cathedral ceilings, comfortable arm chairs and sofas, a fireplace, tapestries, and really charming architecture. The entire property makes you feel as if you are in Tuscany or a wonderful winery inn in Provence. Its old world charm is exactly what you would imagine finding in California's wine country.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SpencerLV
Reviewed October 28, 2007

Located near a main road, with an electrical substation nearby, I was initially worried about our stay. That left the moment we drove into the property. Larger that expected, the Vintners Inn has a separate resturant, conference center for business, a main house (where you eat breakfast) a couple of buildings with rooms and an attached vineyard. The property is well groomed and is situated far enough so that you do not know that there is a road and major highway nearby. The rooms are spacious and come with a large bed, nice dual sink bathroom and a big closet. My favorite was an early morning walk through the vineyard, grabbing a coffee and sitting at the veranda and having breakfast al fresco. The front desk staff was very helpful and even provided free tasting passes to their sister winemaker, Ferrari Carrano (I would recommend going to their site and visting the downstairs tasting room - outstanding). Overall, a great stay and great location to explore Sonoma County and north.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank RomanNole
Reviewed October 19, 2007

I have stayed at the Vintner's Inn over the years and during that time it has remained a reliable place to stay in Sonoma County. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and dotted with flowers. Vineyards encircle the property. There is a fountain in the middle of the property. The rooms are large and luxurious. I like the first floor rooms because there is an enclosed patio on which you can sit and watch the vineyards grow (so to speak.) A very good continental breakfast is included in the dining room. Service is friendly and prompt. Although there are no coffeemakers in the rooms, a large coffee urn and the newspapers are placed in the central foyer of each building at about 6:15 a.m. There is a small conference center on the property as well as the fantastic (but expensive) John Ash restaurant. There are a few "nits" though: (a) there was no tea or decaf pot in the mornings, (b) the wireless signal was very weak in the rooms, (c) there is no other restaurant close by except the John Ash reataurant, and (d) getting to and from the inn on the always-clogged US 101 can be a pain in the neck. Having said this, I have come back again and again because I like it. Here is one quirk: each room has an "intimacy kit" in the night table drawer for $6.00 if opened. I can honestly say that I have never seen that before!

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank Marfak
Reviewed September 17, 2007

We spent two nights in an "upstairs fireplace room" and it was just wonderful. The room was so pretty and special. The grounds were beautiful with the fountains and leafy trees. This was our first trip to Wine Country and this hotel is exactly what we were hoping for. The staff at the front desk were pleasant and helpful. The waiters at the breakfast went out of their way to make everything just right. They looked high and low for a birthday candle for my friend and came out with it lit in a muffin. One of the waiters recommended that we tour the hotel's winery, which is called Ferrari-Carano and this was a highlight for us. He gave us a coupon for tasting for four and we found out it was worth about $60! The grounds were gorgeous and the wine tasting in the wine cellar was very sophisticated and fun.

We heard that the Vintner's Inn is planning to add a swimming pool and spa and when they do, we will definitely be back. It is close to Highway 101 and if we listened really hard, we could hear cars going by, but it was also very handy to have 101 so close. Of all the hotels that we passed in driving through Napa Valley and Sonoma Valley, this was by far the prettiest and an excellent value at under $300 a night.

2  Thank LovesTrips
Reviewed September 16, 2007

The Vintners Inn is situated very near the freeway, but once on the grounds and inside our room with only a serene vineyard view, we no longer felt we had just driven through hectic 101 and actually heard no road noises even with our balcony doors open. The grounds are lovely and have a relaxing open fountain courtyard. We enjoyed the complimentary bottle of wine when we arrived and the chocolate chip cookies in our room each night. They have an excellent, unobtrusive housekeeping staff who also understand how to do a proper turndown service which was especially appreciated after a long day touring the nearby areas in very warm weather. I wish the same attentiveness and hospitality could be said of the front desk staff who were fairly rudimentary in checking us in and out of the hotel and offered no welcome or inquiring if we enjoyed our stay nor could they provide helpful recommendations for the surrounding areas. They could follow the example of fellow staff walking the grounds or at breakfast who were genuinely friendly and helpful. The room was a good size and the bed very comfortable but with fairly small pillows for such a large bed. In terms of additional improvements, the complimentary continental breakfast of petite baked goods and cut fruit could be of better quality, and it would be beneficial if they also considered improving the weak wireless connections, and also adding a parking structure or several shade trees since the hotel guest parking is an open lot and the cars end up baking in the summer sun. The hotel is a short drive to downtown Santa Rosa, downtown Healdsburg and Geyserville wineries and for the overall peaceful stay and restful ambience, we would certainly consider staying there again especially if they continue to make further improvements.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 11, 2007

Having used Trip Advisor to select the Vintners Inn I wanted to share our good experience. Any traffic noise is dampened by the fountains. The courtyard is a pleasant spot to rest and map read before heading out. The balcony room was spacious with elegant decor.The location is great for wine tasting in the Russian River area. The food at John Ash was of a very high standard. The staff were friendly and attentive. I would certainly stay here again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Rosa
Hotel La Rose
Hotel La Rose
#3 of 24 in Santa Rosa
MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa

Been to Vintners Inn? Share your experiences!