“Absolutely Wonderful”

and up
Safari West Sonoma Admission and Jeep Tour
Ranked #1 of 103 things to do in Santa Rosa
More attraction details
Owner description: Escape to Africa by way of Sonoma County…Come discover the Sonoma Serengeti. The classic African safari is a trip of a lifetime for intrepid travelers from around the globe - and, it is closer than you think! The entire Safari West experience is a kid-friendly adventure for families to enjoy together. Our tours are designed to educate guests of all ages and we have found that families are truly inspired as they learn from and share with one another. At Safari West we strive to actively promote conservation and environmental education concepts to our guests, whether they are with us for an hour or a week. The whole experience at Safari West is one of building connections and making discoveries; getting back to basics and enjoying the profound simple pleasures of family and nature that are all too often overlooked. If anything is “not to be missed,” it is that sense of serenity one finds while gazing at graceful giraffe nuzzling her newborn or the surge of raw adventure while witnessing an energetic herd of wildebeest galloping across the horizon. Overnight lodging is also available - the true 'glamping' experience!
Reviewed August 13, 2013

A friend from The Wyoming Dinosaur Center in Thermopolis Wy heard about Safari West. So the family came to CA for a visit. We went to Safari West and had a fantastic adventure! Stayed in a tent cabin that was immaculate and well decorated. We had dinner and what a dinner it was! Breakfast was continental style and really good as well. The employees are extremely knowledgable and so accommodating. We were extremely fortunate we were able to see the Zebras! I would highly recommend a visit! The animals are beautiful!

1  Thank sewyouknow
Write a ReviewReviews (1,591)
All reviews
in 20 reviews
"next morning"
in 31 reviews

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I happened to stumble across this place from a travel review in my local paper. I tucked the article away, and pulled it out a couple years later when we planned out Cali trip. It was a great way to spend half a day, after wearing ourselves out for several days in San Francisco. There is a large variety of wild african animals that you get to view very up close, in your own, open air "safari wagon." Our guide was quite informative, giving information about both the animals and their habits, as well as the park itself. The collection of birds, cats, and monkeys is small, but growing - yet the cages are all much more spacious than in a zoo, so that the animals are not constrained.

Now the cost was $80 each ($32 for kids 3-12), but I thought well worth it. It also tends to keep the crowd size (and large families) down so that you can get the most out of it.

1  Thank dougmendoza
Reviewed August 10, 2013

This exceeds family fun! Yes, there are kids and families, but a great way to spend a few hours with friends. Educational, entertaining, beautiful landscaping, and exciting animals. I imagine this is the next best thing to a real African Safari. We spent three and a half hours and got more than our monies worth. Our guide Brian was knowledgable and entertaining. All the staff made our afternoon fun. I'm amazed that more locals don't know about this gem. A must see if you're going into the wine countryside. I look forward to taking grandchildren there in the future.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Te jeep ride was one thing that my kids will never forget. The tour guide was very friendly and answered all of our questions. We learned much more than visiting a zoo. Next time, will stay the night inside the park and do the roast marshmallow.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is only 90 minutes from my home but it is a well kept secret. The tour guide said that they want to keep it rather low key. I really liked that not only did the guide drive us around but he explained a lot about the animals, their natural habitat, their history, etc. I feel I learned a lot that day. It was definitely worth the price. The guide told us not to be disappointed that we were not likely to see the cheetahs and as we looked in the enclosure, the two cheetahs were grooming each other! I would absolutely go back and perhaps do one of the overnight options.

1  Thank Peggy K