“pleasant surprise”

Cuisines: Sushi, Asian
Los Angeles
“pleasant surprise”
Reviewed July 15, 2008

I was visiting my friend in town and decided to go out for some Japanese food so we picked out the closest restaurant. Being from LA, the hub of great Japaneses restaurants, I was not expecting much, just a healthy dinner. But where this restaurant lacked in ambiance it made up in food and service. The volcano roll was amazing and the salmon melted in my mouth. The lady serving us couldn't have been any nicer.

san francisco
“A huge disappointment!”
Reviewed June 26, 2008

I really, really, wanted to like this restaurant. The Korean couple (yes, Korean) that ran the place was very friendly. But I simply cannot ignore the glaring problems. We visited on a thursday evening for dinner. The place was quiet. Four occupied tables, including us. We chose an outside table. The service was ridiculously slow. It took 50 minutes after we placed order for the miso soup to arrive. It was luke warm and very salty. Hot tea, which we ordered at beginning, did not arrive until after the soup! No one stopped at our table the whole 50 minutes we waited. I wanted to add some hot water to dilute the soup, but no one come to our table again until the main course arrived, 1 hour and 20 minutes after we placed order! (I am not kidding.) And the food arrived cold. The tempura was already soggy. The beef teriyaki cold and incredibly salty. At any other restaurant I would sent it back, but I don't want to sit another hour waiting for food again. So we filled up on cold rice and left. We visit Japanese restaurants several times a month. Never have we encoutered service this bad. The prices are about thes same as many other Japanese restaurants we visited.

1 Thank ianlin
Stanford, CA
“Amazing food, cute atmosphere”
Reviewed June 7, 2008

We went here tonight after reading previous reviews on Trip Advisor. (It is strangely hard to get restaurant reviews for places in Santa Rosa--nothing much on Yelp or Chowhound).

The food was yummy and very fresh. The prices are reasonable, but not super-cheap--it was about $11.00 for a combo with miso soup, salad and an "Alaska" roll (spicy tuna covered with yellowtail). That said, it was a lot of food and I couldn't finish it all. My dinner companion ordered the spicy tuna roll. He also ordered vegetable tempura. Everything was delicious. I really liked the homemade sesame salad dressing.

The best part of the experience, by far, was the husband-wife owner team. They were the Japanese grandparents I never had; it almost felt like we were eating in their home. They were very attentive and concerned about whether we liked our dishes. They also brought us edamame as an appetizer and plum wine for dessert--both on the house! I really hope their restaurant thrives, and I, for one, plan to become a regular.

3 Thank StanfordTripper
Santa Rosa,CA
“my new favorite sushi spot”
Reviewed May 2, 2008

don't let this sushi restaurant's location fool you. It is the best sushi I have had in Santa Rosa! This restaurant has Friendly service,great atmosphere and good food.The fish is fresh,the tuna almost melts in your mouth!

P.S. You must try the plum wine.

3 Thank Sonic_Mike
santa rosa, ca
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Sushi Place”
Reviewed April 25, 2008

This is a best sushi place around! The portions are generous, the service is excellent, the prices are very affordable, and most of all, the food is delicious! If that wasn't enough, the presentation of food is beautiful! The owners really know how to take care of their customers.

1 Thank pacoastraveller