“Nice place to stay in Santa Rosa”

Hilton Garden Inn Sonoma County Airport
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
Reviewed February 26, 2012

My family stayed at the HGI Sonoma County Airport the night of February 19. This property is fairly new, which led me to choose it for the stay over other properties in the area. The other big plus is that it has an indoor pool, which is truly appreciated during winter!

I was in Room 325, which faces the rear. A grove of (redwood?) trees screens the back of the HGI from any noise coming from Highway 101, and in addition, a vineyard behind the trees also serves as a buffer zone. There's not much of a view, as a result, but the noise reduction is a bigger amenity in my book.

The room itself is average sized, with two full beds, a desk, a "kitchen" area with microwave, coffeemaker, and refrigerator, 32-inch LCD TV, chair & ottoman, small end table, single closet, clock radio, shared nightstand, and two phones. The beds have adjustable firmness, but given that we only stayed one night, we weren't able to get it "dialed in" to an agreeable comfortable setting.

The bathroom is also average sized. It contained a single sink, a combo tub/shower, and a toilet (with a lid).

The lobby area is quite open and airy. There is a spacious sitting area with a fireplace and flatscreen TV to the right of the front desk. To the left is the HGI's restaurant. We booked the Bed & Breakfast package, which included breakfast for our family of four along with the accommodations. The added cost of the package is a very good value--only $20 over the cost of the room alone. In addition, the breakfast includes not only a standard buffet offering of eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes, cereal, bagels, fruits, and pastries, but also cook-to-order egg dishes, pancakes, waffles, and French toast. (The latter was especially good!)

The HGI's location is a bit off the beaten path. It is in the far northern reaches of Santa Rosa. While there are dining choices adjacent, anyone seeking more variety would be advised to venture to Downtown Santa Rosa (about 10-15 minutes drive away).

I did have some minor qualms about my stay. The grout on the bathtub wall tiles needed to be redone, and the frame in the bathroom's artwork was looking worn. I found these items somewhat surprising, given the property's relative newness. However, they weren't enough to register negatively in any huge way.

I do have one final story about my stay to relate. As my family was getting cleaned up and ready to turn in for the night, the fire alarm went off! We hurriedly put on our jackets and shoes--not bothering to change out of our PJs--and scooped up our valuables. By the time we reached downstairs, it turned out to be a false alarm, luckily, caused by excess humidity in the pool room. In fact, the assistant GM tucked a letter of apology along with our statement early next morning.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank keyroute
There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Sonoma County Airport

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Great value hotel. Very clean, helpful front desk, comfortable rooms and bed. Nothing fancy but overall nice and comfortable. Only complaint is that the walls are very thin; at 6am we were woken up by the couple in the room next to us.... shall we say, in the throes of passion....

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travel_addictSanFran
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Newer & clean, nice lobby area with fireplace. Small bar & dining area with food. Very nice & comfortable place. Certainly not luxury but upper mid-level.

Room Tip: Rooms on north have view of vegetation rather than parking lot & movie theatre
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I figured my stay would be average however I was truly impressed with my experience. My room was a good size with a very generous supply of towels, a comfy bed, a mini frig, microwave, coffee maker and plenty of lighting. The room felt and looked clean and I liked the fact they boast their duvet covers are changed after each guest.
I wasn't wild about check in only because the evening receptionist was not friendly but the receptionist in the morning and the shuttle bus (free) driver made up for it.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed January 13, 2012

As a frequent traveler and Hilton Honors member I have learned that Hilton properties are not all equal, even in the same brand. This one was one of the best I stayed in. All the staff was very nice and pleasant and hard working and eager to help. I stayed here because of the location and indoor swimming pool. I used it as a base to explore Napa, Yountville, Santa Rosa, St. Helena and other cities. It worked well as a base. Despite the fact that this hotel is adjacent to an industrial park, it didn't feel like it and the views from the property were appealing. There are newer stip malls within walking distance if you need anything you forgot to pack or are looking for a place to eat, even a Starbucks. The restaurant/cafe in the Hilton is very nice and convenient. I used the cafe for breakfast the second morning and the cost was the same as a nearby diner. And the staff was friendlier. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Neynon
Reviewed December 29, 2011

This HGI is better than average. Although you can almost always be assured of a good experience at any HGI, this one is even better. It is very clean and nicely decorated. The lobby/lounge area is a great place to relax and visit. And unlike most HGI, this one serves not only breakfast, but also lunch and dinner in their restaurant. There is also a full bar with a Happy Hour from 4:30PM - 6:30PM. We had dinner here two nights. The appetizers were good and we were able to eat them in the lounge area. Dinners were good and prices ranged from $10 - $15 for sandwiches and $15 - $25 for full dinners. There is a limited children's menu. There is an indoor pool, and this is the only Hilton property in the area that has an indoor pool, which is nice during the winter.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 19, 2011

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn, Sonoma County Airport, on December 16, 17, and 18, and was very impressed with the accomodations and the front desk staff. I got a great AAA rate of $109/night. When I made my reservation online, in the "comments" section, I wrote something to the effect of "will be in the area for an intense 2-day training course. Please give me a quiet room, one away from Highway 101 noise and elevator areas, as I need to sleep well." When I checked in, Denyce, who was working the front desk, told me that she'd given me a 3d (top) floor corner room on the west end of the hotel. My room was quiet, very clean, attractive, and spacious (plenty of space for a king bed, a large arm chair and ottoman, a good-sized desk, and an attractive "hutch" holding a coffeemaker, small refrigerator, and microwave. I even had enough space to roll out a yoga mat -- loaned to me by the hotel -- on my floor). The bed and the bed linens were very nice. The bathroom was nice. Everything in the room worked, and the window treatments were attractive and did the job of shutting out all light. All of the front desk people were friendly and nice -- Denyce even remembered my name two days later! -- and seemed to care about whether I liked the hotel. I will admit to being a "5 Star Hotel Princess": I seriously considered staying at the Vintner's Inn for this trip -- at roughly three times the price of the HGI -- but didn't want to pay that much when I knew I would only be sleeping in the hotel (out all day at my training sessions). I was very happy at the HGI and recommend it. One of the comments I read said something about the HGI not being in the center of things for wine-tasting. Realize this: The wineries in Sonoma County are quite spread out, so you will end up driving to wineries WHEREVER you stay. This hotel is 3 minutes from 101, between Santa Rosa and Healdsburg.

Room Tip: If you don't want to hear traffic noise, ask for a room on the west end of the hotel. I had 301...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Hampton Inn & Suites Windsor - Sonoma Wine Country
Vintners Inn
Vintners Inn
#2 of 25 in Santa Rosa

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Sonoma County Airport? Share your experiences!