“If you are going to Magic Mountain, stay at the Ocean Gateway Inn” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Gateway Inn

Ocean Gateway Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Santa Paula
Anaheim, California
“If you are going to Magic Mountain, stay at the Ocean Gateway Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

I was recently and pleasantly surprised by the service I received at the Ocean Gateway Inn. I'd like to share my experience with you, the staff of this hotel exceeded my expectations. I was looking for a reasonably priced hotel that wouldn't be too far away from Six Flags Magic Mountain.

I found the hotel on-line and didn't know what to expect. Literally right off the 126 Freeway, The Hotel looked nice. The room was spacious and I was surprised to see that they had a refrigerator and a microwave. We arrived at the hotel around 1PM, we had called earlier in the day and asked if we could have a early check in. The guy at the desk explained that it is based on availability and that they could accommodate us. Incidentally, the guy I had spoke to on the phone was still there when we arrived for check in. He gave me some good suggestions on where to dine. We opted to walk to the fast food Mexican Food place and it was awesome. Ordered too much food, that is where the fridge and microwave came in very handy. The weather was nice so we spent a little time in the pool and jacuzzi.

The free wi-fi was a nice little bonus, we didn't know they had. I was able to get on my ipod and check my emails. I would definitely recommend the Ocean Gateway as the front desk people were very friendly, the spa was nice, the rooms were much bigger than I expected and we even had free continental breakfast the next morning. Thanks Ocean Gateway! See you again next time we're going to Magic Mountain!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

I was so pleased to find this motel when I was searching on line! I needed a place in Santa Paula since we were getting my daughter started at the College near there. I also needed it to be a great value, since I was on a tight budget. In calling the motels on my list, it became clear that the Ocean Gateway had the best prices. What a wonderful bonus to find that the room was spacious, beautiful, and well kept; and that the management personnel are also the owners, and therefore very committed to making my stay a pleasant one. I was also pleased to find that the wi-fi internet access worked great in my room, so I was able to stay up with my business. By the way, they recommended a wonderful restaurant right next door with great food and friendly staff. I had the best fish tacos there I have ever had!

My thanks to the folks at Ocean Gateway for a wonderful stay, I'll be back!

Jim

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

My co-worker and I got two rooms for the night at this place because it was close to a job we were doing. We should have driven the 10 miles or so to the coast and got a nice room, or at least a better room. First thing, there are bars on the windows on the first floor, not a good sign. The room was old and run down, the upholstery on the chairs were stained. The bed was scary. You wouldn't want to shine a black-light on it. The pillows were flat, and when I went to ask the manager for an extra pillow, you'd have thought I asked him to sacrifice a goat in the lobby. He brought me something that looked like pillow, only flat and dirty. The bathroom had ants. The towels were like sandpaper. No coffee maker. And in the morning, NO HOT WATER. One of the worst motel I've stayed at.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank jdend

Travelers are raving about these Santa Paula hotels

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

Me and my friend stayed at the Ocean Gateway Inn on the way to the Six Flags Magic Mountian theme park. We were looking for a pretty low-key room which wouldn;t cost too much. The cost itself was not too bad, I think maybe $75 for a night, for a twin room, but the room itself was pretty average at best. The bathroom wasn't so good, and the decor looked like it hadn't been touched in many years.

The room was supposed to include breakfast - this consisted of a small muffin and orange juice/coffee. There wasn't even cereal or bread to toast.

Upon checkout, the somewhat less-than-friendly manager went to check the rooms. Although we were lucky enough to get our $20 deposit returned, the customer in front of me in the queue had $5 deducted from his because of a 'towel being dirty'.

The man's reaction was that of 'I shalln't be coming here again'. I thought this showed a distinct lack of class by the hotel owner. For the sake of $5 (roughly £3) he has lost at least one customer.

The chances of me being in Santa Paula again are minimal, but if I ever was, I wouldn't choose to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank lukeybaby100
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

Motel is very clean.Staff very friendly. Only down side was the bed. Pillow were flat as pancakes and bed was too hard. The room did have a good a/c and a little refrig. Also, a small continental breakfast was provided. Good value for $.

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — bed was uncomfortable
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Lodi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

Hotel is old. Have stayed here in past, but will pay a little extra next time and stay some where else. Rooms were clean, towels were almost see throught, furniture and carpeting old, pillows uncomfotable. ONLY $85 a night. or $65 during week. To bad it has not been kept up as it is in great location. Coffee was cheap tasting and not much of a breakfast. Better off going to Carrows. Staff was friendly. Owners need to make a few improvements to turn this back into a nice hotel!! Santa Paula is a nice little town.

• Disliked — Just very run down and old
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2007

We spotted this hotel on our travels and on a late night driving back towards LA thought it would be a good place to stop, it was just off the freeway and Santa Paula seemed such a nice place. The brochure at the desk promised lovely rooms with jacuzzi baths.
The room was awful, stained carpets and furniture, very very poorly decorated, and no lovely bath to relax in! When we pulled back the blanckets to fall into the bed there we found a few strands of hair between the sheets! The soap and shampoo etc were of very low standard. If we hadnt been so tired we would have left when we saw the state of the room. The tv didnt work and the person on the desk was unable to help us deal with it.
After a poor nights sleep we took advantage of their continental breakfast, which was a jug of juice, one pot of coffee and a few donuts. When my husband asked the receptionist if she could make some more coffee she said they were only allowed to make one per day! We wont be back!

• Liked — close to the freeway
  • Disliked — It was dirty, grubby and run down
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
La Quinta Inn Ventura
#14 of 22 in Ventura
3.0 of 5 stars 446 reviews
Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach

Been to Ocean Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!