“Kindness personified”
Review of Glen Tavern Inn

Glen Tavern Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Santa Paula
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I arrived late, the desk had just left me a message, but my phone was on vibrate. The young man at the desk fetched me a much needed glass of wine, put it in my room, and welcomed me. Comfortable bed, kind people. I was rather afraid that I might see a ghost, given that they actually advertise that the hotel is inhabited by spectres. Thankfully the most scary thing was the movie poster from The Shining on the 2nd floor.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed May 2, 2013

The Glen Tavern Inn was the site of a wedding reception I attended. The staff was extremely nice and helpful, beginning with a pre event visit I had made to scope out the venue. During the visit I was shown several rooms, I requested first floor, and was able to secure a cozy canopy bed room with a full bath and a separate room with a red, heart shaped jacuzzi tub. As tacky as it sounds, the jacuzzi tub was enjoyed! The wedding event started with a drinks and appetizers. The pours ere generous and the appetizers were very good. 2 hours later was a sit down dinner. The restaurant did a superb job on the salmon, veggies and mashed potatoes that I had.The rigatoni and ravioli looked good too. All the portions were large. Ceasar Salad and focaccia breads were also served. The band played til after midnight in the smallish lobby, which was taken over by the entire wedding group. The bar stayed open til then too. French doors to the first door rooms muffled some of the band's loud music for those oldsters who retired before the young ones were done partying. The only criticism I have is the lighting in our room was not very bright, so don't plan to read in bed unless you bring a book light or kindle. Otherwise, this was a great place for a smallwedding party (80 ish people). The finishing touch to the over night was breakfast in the morning at the hotel restaurant.

Room Tip: Don't expect this to be like the Hampton or Marriott. A special venue akin to being in Europe...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 196CindyJ196
Reviewed March 14, 2013

In an effort to capture a wee bit o' memory of our trip to Scotland, we spent the weekend in Ventura for their annual Sottish Festival. I chose Glen Tavern Inn for its old world charm, as it reminded me of the places we stayed in Scotland. On our arrival, we were told they were full and did not have our reservation. I'll never make reservations through Expedia again.

The kind, young man at the reception desk saw my disappointment as I looked around the lobby. It did remind me of Scotland with all the 100 year-old woodwork and over-stuffed couches to lounge in. He got in touch with someone higher up and they found a room for us. The whole place had been reserved for two weddings except for one room.

The room was comfortable and fit the bill perfectly from the old hinges and door knobs and well-worn woodwork to the creeking floor boards. If you want brand new amenities, this is not the place for you. But it is cozy and the staff just couldn't be more accommodating.

A funny note...After a drive to Ventura for dinner and a beach walk, upon return we heard Scottish music coming for the courtyard. A full blown Scottish was in progress, kilts and all. How appropriate for our wee Scottish weekend getaway, a perfect place to stay for a visit to Ventura's Scottish Festival in October.

Room Tip: Our room was facing the back, overlooking a parking lot and apartments, although it was perfectly qu...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed at the Glen Tavern twice over 2 years and always look forward to going back. It is unpretentious and happy being over 100 years old & allows you to engage as much as you want. The staff are extremely helpful if required but give you space & privacy. Santa Paula is a town where time has stood still & sometimes that's a good thing!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Neil W
Reviewed December 31, 2012

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Mike R
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Sliding Door to bathroom had broken handle and was dirty. Clearly the staff cleans the bathroom with the door slid into the wall, so they don't wipe off the water stains or dust. Windows in room hadn't been cleaned in ages. Hotel lobby smells like the men's room right off the lobby. Furniture in room worn out and some was broken. Saggy bed and old carpet. I don't need or expect luxury, but a basic standard of cleanliness and upkeep isn't too much to expect.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Zavsdad
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed two nights 11/11 and 11/12/2012 for a wedding. Pros: Concept is great and wedding outside very nice. Our room was 1st floor 30 feet from recepion so we didn't not have to travel anywhere. Staff was very quick to replace a non-functioning mini refrigerator; no problem with our pet dog; and xtra towels provided upon asking. Cons: Zenzio Restuarant served medicore Italian food at an exorbitant price. All other meals were eaten elsewhere. WiFi operated at minimal signal strength so connections were lost. Also, the air in our room was stuffy and seemed a lot warmer than what the thermostat temperature gauge indicated (71 degs.) I turned on the A/C to lower the temperature and to effect an exchange of air and the front desk soon called to say that the A/C could not be run if other guests were using the heat. This made for a miserable near sleepless night. Sunday night was the same so I opened a window for an hour or so. This helped but an opened window that opens on an alley without screens and/or bars was not prudent to leave open all night. Another less than optimal night's sleep.
In sum, the staff was great and our room was exceptional (lighting, tile floor, bathroom, appearance, etc.) We enjoyed the wedding and our mini vacation but stay again - probably not.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
#19 of 23 in Ventura
Good Nite Inn Camarillo
Good Nite Inn Camarillo
#3 of 10 in Camarillo

Been to Glen Tavern Inn? Share your experiences!