“Mediocre - sadly...”

Enzo's
Ranked #3 of 51 Restaurants in Santa Paula
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: It's in the Glen Tavern Inn.
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Supposedly one of Santa Paula's better establishments and I will say you can't fault the friendly staff and acceptable decor. The food, however, leaves a lot to be desired. The chef's culinary style is obviously "clumps and lumps." I selected calimari and mushroom risotto. I received a lump of each. The batter on the tempura battered calimari was too soft and had stuck together and the risotto was literally a lump of rice. I lifted the plate and turned it over and the lump stayed put. It was bland and tasteless and had two slices of mushroom in it. My husband's veal had no taste whatsoever and was also served with a lump of risotto. You really have to know what you're doing to cook veal well, and this was not cooked well. The olive oil-toasted bread was good, though. The bar girl is also inexperienced. I asked for a lemon drop and was told I couldn't have one, since she didn't know what it was. Come on... vodka, lemon juice and sugar. We supplied the recipe and she managed to make one - just. How difficult is that for a bartender? We were the only people in the restaurant on a Thursday evening. Perhaps, that says something about the food.

2  Thank hd91364

Reviewed September 1, 2011

My girlfriend and I stumbled across the inn on a train ride last year and really wanted to come back and visit it again. We didn't realize there was an italian restaurant on the property which was a great surprise. We had worked up appetites coming from ojai and thought Italian would hit the spot. Enzos has a very charming atmosphere which goes great with the vibe of the inn. We had a great waitress named Paola who was extremely enthusiastic and helpful with navigating enzos menu. We started with crostinos which were absolutely sinful, seriously. For our entrees we shared an artichoke pizza which was a real experience, it was thin crust and came out crispy like a cracker, and than shared rigatoni al sicilion which was thick pasta tubes in a pink sauce with sausage. For desert we shared a great homemad lavender creme bruleau. Overall our experience was a great one and we loom forward to many more dinners at enzos.

Reviewed March 28, 2011

Here’s our new favorite evening: Dinner at Enzo’s Italian restaurant in Santa Paula, CA located in the historic Glenwood Tavern Inn built in 1911, followed by a play at the Santa Paula theater. The friendly staff serves up a wide variety of dishes such as lightly battered calamari or spinach ravioli. My favorite meal so far is the salmon with capers, served with a 2004 Chianti and followed by a peach cobbler. Then on to the playhouse a few blocks away. Excellent service and the pleasant dining room make it a great choice to celebrate a special occasion or enjoy a romantic dinner.