Hotel Carmel
Gateway Hotel Santa Monica(Santa Monica)(Great Value!)
$189
Ocean View Hotel(Santa Monica)
$305
  • Beachfront
$193
$143
ComfortInn
Travelodge Santa Monica(Santa Monica)(Great Value!)
$154
$240
The Ambrose
  • Breakfast included
1,017 results
All reviewscoffee and pastriesstreet promenadecafe next doorexcellent locationsanta monica piereach morningrooms are smallan older hotelcomplimentary breakfastshopping and restaurantstwo blockslos angelesearplugslaxhollywood
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 25, 2010

This property has some pluses and many minuses! First, the positive: Location, location, location, this place has a good location being in downtown santa monica and walking distance to the pier and third street promenade. The furniture and beds are new and comfortable. Valet parking staff were fast and efficient. Continental breakfast consisted of juice and croissants. No DeCaf coffee.

Now the negative: Things immediately started going down hill when we entered our room. The noise from the roof ventilation and elevator next door was unbearable. When we spoke to the manager about it, he seemed indifferent about it but eventually gave us another room that was somewhat quieter.

What really irked me was the fee of $12.00 a day for internet! Plus $12.00 a day for parking. To get ice, I had to ask the manager.

The rooms had lumps in the carpet, there was no hair dryer or coffee maker, There was only one tissue left in the kleenex box, the bathroom door knob hardware was falling off,
the phone didn't work, there were no controls on the Heat/AC, and the TV remote was broken. I will say, however, that the bed was comfortable and we slept well.

In conclusion, I felt this hotel was overpriced and would not stay there again.

Michael
Vancouver, WA

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mrob1515
Reviewed February 16, 2010

I liked the Hotel Carmel. As soon as we arrived we were up-graded from a queen room to a king room. The bed was large and the sheets were clean and white. The bathroom was clean and the towels also were clean. The maids cleaned our room every day and replaced our towels and the shampoo etc. (which comes in little sealed bottles - I don't know how they could be refilled as suggested earlier?). The breakfast is, as mentioned earlier, pastries and coffee - hey its free! You don't get any breakfast if you stay at the Comfort Inn or one of the other chain hotels. The thing i liked most about this hotel is the location! It's perfect - you can walk to the movies, shops, great cafes and restaurants, the pier and the beach. After reading the earlier reviews, we almost cancelled our reservation! I'm glad we didn't. I have travelled the world and stayed in some real dumps and this doesn't even come close! I like that it's slightly faded old world charm! If you want a 5 star experience stay at the Hilton and pay triple the price!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Koalakaye
Reviewed February 14, 2010

For $135 a night, this hotel was a good deal. The hotel has an extremely central location that is five minutes from the beach as well as the Promenade. The room was not too bad( my biggest complaint about it would be that the furniture was a bit bulky). Otherwise, the room was clean and well put together. My bathroom was actually clean(I was scared to look at it based on the other reviews from this website). The people at the front desk were friendly and helpful. This hotel is very old, and it definitely has that feel. Personally, I like the old feel, but that feel is DEFINITELY not for everyone. There definitely could be improvements made to this hotel, but for $135 a night it was fine for me and my friends.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 13, 2010

This hotel is your worst nightmares come true. Bed bugs, blood on the sheets,hair in the bath, rotten floor boards, dodgy wiring will see you sitting on a toilet that leans so much you have to hold yourself up using the handbasin. Furniture is leveled with wads of cardboard, fans and lights come on and off all night ON THEIR OWN. Sometimes the telephone works, sometimes it doesn't. The stench of filth is everywhere. They offer breakfast, a plus we thought. What a joke. Breakfast is a few pasteries and insatant coffee in disposable cups served not in a resturant but in the main reception area! There is one table with two chairs and a coffee table with one sofa. It's literally first in first served.1 million make over I'll be damed!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank ICDtraveller
Reviewed January 11, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for three nights for a long weekend. We thought it was economically priced and in a great location. Great location and a good price is not everything.
If we could have found another place, we would have changed hotels.

Actually, it was the dirtiest place that we have ever stayed. I was afraid to touch the comforter or carpet. The water would not drain from the tub when taking a shower. The TV was about 16 inches wide and probably 10+ years old. We had to keep the blinds closed because of the pipes and machinery outside our window.
The bed was comforable and the location was great. Everything else left something to be desired.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple