1,075 results
All reviewscoffee and pastriesstreet promenadeexcellent locationsanta monica piereach morningan older hotelrooms are smalllight sleeperbars and restaurantscomplimentary breakfasttwo blockslax
Reviewed November 15, 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights at the beginning of our trip. Location was excellent, right beside 3rd Street Promenade and 5 minutes from pier. Staff were helpful and bumped us to a better room when they heard we were on honeymoon. Musty old smell throughout the whole hotel. Tea and pastries available in the luvvy each morning which was nice. Valet service at the hotel too, I think they park the cars about 5 minutes away. Overall really nice stay here.

Stayed: November 2017, traveled as a couple
AngelaRogers, General Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2017

First and foremost, congratulations! We are thrilled we could be part of your memorable visit to Santa Monica. I also want to thank you for posting a four bubble review from your four night stay with us at Hotel Carmel. I'm happy to know that our location worked out well for you and our associates were helpful. We hope you enjoyed your time in our world class destination as well as the greater Los Angeles area. We were honored to have been of service and hope that we have the opportunity to be of service again. Wishing you safe travels always, Angela.

Reviewed November 14, 2017 via mobile

My friend and I spent 4 nights here. The hotel is very well located and within walking distance to Santa Monica Pier, 3rd Street Promenade , restaurants etc. We had 2 interconnecting rooms with a shared bathroom which were large and comfortable, but the decor is antiquated and there was a musty smell when we first arrived. We were at the back at the hotel and found that it could be quite noisy at night. The staff were helpful but not very knowledgeable about transport and things to do. There was an incident where we requested that a taxi be arranged to takes us to a tour pickup point and they arranged a private hire car, without advising us of this and giving us a price. It costs us $49 for a $10 minute trip. When we raised this not much was done about it. A little annoying!!

Stayed: October 2017, traveled with friends
AngelaRogers, General Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2017

Hello Yolreg

Thank you for staying with us for four nights on your recent visit to Santa Monica. I'm very happy to read that our location worked out well for your visit. I appreciate you mentioning that here in your review. The private car incident you mention is cause for concern. We do recommend some private car services over taxis but your experinince is not acceptable to me and will be looked into further. I would think that your tour pick up location was a reasonable distance from the hotel and it appears that $49 for that trip was an exorbitant. charge. I apologize for that incident as well as some of our team members not being as knowlegable as they should be about the area. I would very much appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly about the car incident and $49 charge. I can be reached at 310 451 2469. Or, you can email me at angela@hotelcarmel.com with your contact information and I will contact you. Thanks for being a guest at our hotel and I look forward to speaking to you in person in the near future.

Angela

Reviewed November 11, 2017

Room was quite spacious - however, lacks amenities such as microwave and mini bar fridge to store some drinks. The decor is old-school, but we quite liked it. The shower was great - good water temperature and good pressure.

What we didn't like - we stayed on a room with a window facing an alleyway. At night we could hear disturbances (e.g. drunk people) which made sleep less comfortable.

The best thing about this place is location. It is close to everywhere in Santa Monica that you want to go - Pier is about 5 mins away, Third Street Promenade is literally a block away, and lots of food places around. Customer service was pretty great too.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that do not face an alleyway
  • Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
AngelaRogers, General Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2017

Hello Grace A,

Thank you for the four bubble review for your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read your positive comments and very much appreciate your candid comments as well. We concur we have the best location for a visit to Santa Monica as well as a great location for exploring and seeing all the attractions in Los Angeles. With that said, I'm also very sorry there was some street noise that impacted your peace and quiet at night. I truly wish that was not the case on what otherwise appears to be a overall pleasant stay. On behalf of everyone associated with Hotel Carmel, we want to say thank you so much for being a guest with us. We know you have many choices in accomodations in Santa Monica and we are honored that you selected our hotel for your visit. I hope that honor reflected in our guest service and our commitment to genuine hospitality. Please do come back and see us again if your travel plans bring you back to our area. If by chance that is the case, we would love to welcome you back to Hotel Carmel. Wishing you safe travels always.

Angela Rogers

Reviewed November 6, 2017

Nice hotel, but very small room and just a double bed (not queen). Great central location and walking distance to everything. Coffee and pastries each morning in the lobby and local paper delivered to your door. No fridge in room, but ice bucket provided.

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
AngelaRogers, General Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2017

Thank you for being a guest wth us at Hotel Carmel and posting a review here on TripAdvisor. We really appreciate you selecting our hotel for your visit to Santa Monica and hope you enjoyed your time in our world class destination. On behalf of everyone at Hotel Carmel, we wish you safe travels always and we hope to see you again if your future travel plans include return visit to our area. Yours in Hospitality, Angela.

Reviewed November 4, 2017 via mobile

Our visits in April and May this year were so good, we have booked to stay again on our arrival for another US family visit in November and departure in January. We love the historical feel and comfort of the hotel, the warmth of the staff especially after a long flight, and the location is superb. The lift is good but using the stairs was also easy and beneficial to us! One room was smaller than the other; still spacious enough. No doubt the courtyard was originally a place to relax; now we must all have air-con and it has to go somewhere. Love it all!

Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple
AngelaRogers, General Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2017

Thank you so much for posting a five bubble review from your recent stay with us at Hotel Carmel.I'm delighted to read your comments and really appreciate your mention of the service from our team. I'm also thrilled that we will be of service to you again. Sometimes in the rush of executing our business, we fail to say thank you loud enough and often enough. So, please accept our appreciation and sincerest thanks for being a guest at Hotel Carmel. We never take the oppurtunity to be of service for granted and will always try our best to help make your vacation stay with us a memorable experience.

Angela