1,084 results
All reviews coffee and pastries street promenade excellent location santa monica pier each morning an older hotel rooms are small light sleeper bars and restaurants complimentary breakfast two blocks lax
Reviewed July 23, 2017

Great location, you are basically in the heart of everything.
Service from the front office staff was great, and checkin and check out was pretty quick.
The rooms and furniture are very dated.
The air con hardly worked, and the fan was nice.
Beds comfortable, but don't expect anything too flash here.
Wifi was great and fast.
Overall for $350 AUD - it's very overpriced, but it's during the US Summer, so I guess it's to be expected.
Would stay here again....

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled with family
AngelaRogers, General Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2017

Thank you for your recent review of Hotel Carmel and your mention of our great location for visiting Santa Monica. Was also very happy to read your comments about our front office staff. Thank you for those kind words. Although I respect and acknowledge your comments on pricing, we feel we are very competitively priced for a stay in Santa Monica. We do try and keep our rates reasonable and hopefully a value for a visit to our area. I hope you enjoyed your visit to our world class destination and had a memorable time visiting the United States. Please come back and see us again! Warmest regards, Angela.

Reviewed July 17, 2017

Room at side of hotel over looking the shopping centre across the road. The noise at night was unbelieveable. The windows have single glazing so you get to hear people talking as they walk past all night.
I got to hear the homeless guy curse loudly and at length because he wasn't happy about something.
The middle aged gentleman at front desk managed to keep me at check in for 20mins while he struggled with the computer system. He had the good grace to apoligise while looking at the screen but managed never to make eye contact or even look in my direction in all that time while i stood staring at him. He just kept clicking the mouse and eventually gave me one room key . I then pointed out that i had given him a voucher that clearly stated i had 2 rooms booked. He then gave me 2 Queen rooms instead of 1 King and 1 Queen room. I stayed in 7 hotels during my trip to the states and this guy was by far the worst as regards atitude and incompetence that i met. He most definitely did not want to be doing his job and maybe he should listen to the young girl he was working wiuth. She as least seems to want to be there and smiled at the customers who came her way.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs
  • Stayed: July 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank oriordd
AngelaRogers, General Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2017

It is with great disappointment and regret that I read your review regarding our incompetent guest service at check-in. There are limits to what noise we can control coming from the street at night, but providing exceptional guest service without an “attitude” and delivering considerate guest courtesy is well within our control and is very important to our culture and brand of service. What you have conveyed here is disrespectful to you as our guest well as to the rest of our team who work very hard to ensure they adhere to our best practices in guest service The member of our team that checked you in to our hotel obviously does not want to be part of our team and we will we ensure that any future guests are never subjected to that level of indifference in service again. Thank you for being a guest at Hotel Carmel and sharing your feedback with us. You have my personal as well as my professional apologies for our deficiencies in the check-in process. Hopefully, upon your departure from the hotel, a team member expressed our sincere appreciation for your business and being a guest of our hotel.

Reviewed July 14, 2017

My partner and I stayed at this hotel 24 - 27th June 2017 The hotel has a great location just a minute walk to the sea front, Santa Monica Pier, 3rd street promenade, and shops and bars, all on Your doorstep. when viewed from the outside the hotel looks quite nice, but on the inside its a different story, our room was in need of updating, the décor looked tired and dated, also dangerous looking wiring hanging out of wall onto floor. ceiling fan would turn itself on ! . similar story in bathroom- sorry looking old bathroom suite and décor. plus points are- free WiFi ( although it didn't work that well ) and a safety deposit box in room- also free, complementary tea, coffee and pastries at breakfast time was a nice touch. We had a great time in Santa Monica but I thought this hotel was poor value for money.

• Stayed: June 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ggnome999
AngelaRogers, General Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2017

Hello ggnome999

I'm so sorry we did not leave you with a better impression of our hotel. We are obviously striving for a more positive experience and review of that experience here on TripAdvisor. However, we absolutely respect and acknowledge your constructive comments and want you to know that your feedback is valuable and appreciated. Although we fell short of your expectations in some areas, I'm glad you enjoyed your time in Santa Monica. Thank you.

Yours in Hospitality,

Reviewed July 12, 2017

This Hotel was great as a family budget hotel. The Location is wonderful and I found the staff really great. We arrived early in the day and they put us straight into a room as we had small kids. There is no air - conditioning only fans, but even in Summer that was ok. The beds were really comfy.
Would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2017, traveled with family
AngelaRogers, General Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2017

Thank you so much for the five bubble review and thank you for your kind words regarding our location and our team. I did want to mention that we do indeed have air-conditioning in each of our guest rooms so I'm not sure how we gave you the impression that we only have ceiling fans. 'Im sorry about that misunderstanding. Thank you for being a guest at our hotel. We were thrilled to have the opportunity to be of service to you during your visit and hope you enjoyed your time here in Santa Monica.

Yours In Hospitality,

Reviewed July 12, 2017

We arrived by car and couldnot find it at first because we were looking for garage, but it is located on busy streetcorner and offers valet-service for your car so drive slowly and you will find it easier.
Very friendly staff and we had a good dinner in restaurant directly underneath.
Comfortable rooms and pleasant place to start a good evening-stroll towards peer and shoppingstreets.
We'll take it again next time!

• Stayed: May 2017, traveled as a couple

Hello and thank you for posting a four bubble review from your recent stay with us at Hotel Carmel. We are delighted to read your review and your endorsement that you would stay with us again. We hope you enjoyed a memorable visit to Santa Monica and had the opportunity to see all the attractions our world class destination has to offer. Please come back and see us again soon!

Yours in Hospitality,