Hotel Carmel
Gateway Hotel Santa Monica(Santa Monica)(Great Value!)
$239
Ocean View Hotel(Santa Monica)
$259
$501
$396
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Travelodge Santa Monica(Santa Monica)(Great Value!)
$209
$500
$395
$329
$269
  • Pool
Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel(Santa Monica)
$584
$260
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
1,028 results
All reviewscoffee and pastriesstreet promenadecafe next doorexcellent locationsanta monica piereach morningrooms are smallan older hotelcomplimentary breakfastshopping and restaurantstwo blockslos angelesearplugslaxhollywood
Reviewed May 30, 2014

This hotel was right in the centre of Santa Monica and very close to the beach so a great location. It was adequate as a base for exploring the lovely part of the city but the rooms were quite dark and very noisy from an air conditioning unit(?) outside our window.
Breakfast is not included but coffee and pastries are offered in the lobby.
Most annoying - they charge for wifi ( really don't expect to pay for this in this day and age).
Staff were friendly and helpful - arranged an airport shuttle and were happy that we dumped our cases there before we had checked in ( so that we could drop the car at the airport without our luggage).

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julienne L
Reviewed May 24, 2014

This was our last stop on Route 66 right in the centre of Santa Monica and a short walk to the fantastic beach where Baywatch was filmed. Our car was whisked away by a friendly valet man - no charge. The room was a bit small but beds really comfortable. The staff could not have been more friendly and helpful and booked us on a 'hop on/hop off' tour of Los Angeles. There was a fantastic Italian Restaurant right opposite the hotel. On our way to the hotel the traffic was horrendous. We were worried that we might miss out flight with such heavy traffic, however, the Manager gave us directions on the old road and we arrived at the airport with loads of time to spare. Thank you.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Trish D
AngelaRogers, Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Dear Trish D

Thanks for staying with us and thanks for the review of our hotel. If your future travel plans include a return visit to Santa Monica, we would happy to welcome you back to Hotel Carmel. Safe travels!

Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed here for a wedding. It is old, tired and depressing. The door didn't lock properly, no housekeeping service, the table top lamp was connected to a switch, along with the clock, so the clock had to be re set every time the switch was turned off. The tv frequently malfunctioned. The blinds were broken, the towels were musty. Reminded me of the cheap places I used to stay in when I was a young adult and couldn't afford anything else.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank rubybouvier
AngelaRogers, Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Dear Rubybouvier

Thank you for staying with us. I’m disappointed to learn of all the issues you encountered during your visit. There were new door locks installed last week so I’m not sure if you stayed with us before that time. I was also very concerned by your comment regarding no housekeeping service. We do provide daily housekeeping service but it sounds as if we might have missed servicing your room. It is pretty obvious from your review that we fell short of some basic guest expectations. Please accept my apologies for our shortfalls and trust that I will share your review with my management team. Your review is very important to us and we will work on correcting the issues you brought to my attention. Thank you.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Hotel Carmel in July 2012. It is located on 2nd ave and broadway, just a quick walk around the corner from the 3rd st promenade which is filled with shops, street performers(great free entertainment) restaurants and cinema's. Then in the other direction just a short 5 minute walk to the beech and pier area.

Overall this hotel was great, it was alot cheaper then the other hotels around the area, it doesnt have a pool or deck area like some of the bigger chain hotels, but let's be honest, who travels (from ireland in my case) half way around the world to stay inside the hotel?? Valet parking is by far the cheapest around that i have found and the staff are very helpful. (it was $14 when we stayed but from looking online it appears to be $17 dollars a night now at the time of writing this)

To summarize: Great price, Great location, Cheap parking. I will stay here again the next time i visit santa monica

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

My stay at Hotel Carmel in Santa Monica CA left me feeling taken advantage of and alone. I stayed there for 4 nights for a fair chunk of money- $159.00 + $10.00/ day for wifi a night for 1 bed and bathroom.

Their wifi never works- it worked 20% of the time over my stay- I'm from Brisbane AUS and this left me with no way of contacting home for 80% of the time. I understand technology doesn't always place nice- but not once was I offered a refund of any of the days I paid $10/day to utilise this service.

It was when I checked out the real nightmare began. They charged me 3 times the amount of my stay and told me "they had no records of this". The staff were rude, unhelpful and not interested. All I needed was for them to send a fax or email to my bank stating the mistake and I would get my funds back immediately- I am 19 and travelling alone on the otherwise of the world- you can imagine by distress. I was polite when asking for help and they gave 1% effort by answering the phone. Their General Manager Angela was super rude!! She hung up on me when I continued to call BEGGING them to PLEASE help me as I had next to money left!! After the first 3 calls she then magically became "unavailable", "in meetings" or "out of the office". I even got hung up on once! Eventually my bank helped me out and refunded my money and reported them for Fraudulent behaviour. DONT STAY THERE!! The location and the price is not worth your hassle!!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Alex J
AngelaRogers, Manager at Hotel Carmel, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Dear Alex J

I’m very sorry you considered your experience at Hotel Carmel as being taken advantage of and left alone and we acknowledge that the situation was upsetting to you. Your reservation was originally for one night and you extended your stay with us two additional times for a total of 4 nights. As a point of clarification, our records indicated that we authorized your card three times for a grand total of $758. Your stay with us exceeded that total. What we didn’t have a record of was our hotel authorizing your card, which is a hold of the funds, three times for $758 each time. You were persistent that we had, so on the assumption there was error somewhere between the hotel, the credit card processors and the bank, a letter was faxed to your bank from us with a request to release of any additional authorizations that might have been on your account above the $758. Given the situation, I can understand you might think something is being done deceptive, however; there is nothing to be gained at the hotel from an authorization and your card was actually charged the correct amount from your stay at check out. Once again, I’m very sorry you were so upset and we regret that this situation left you with such a poor impression of our services.