We stayed here recently for 3 nights and to be honest found it very poor compared to the other hotels we stayed in on our trip.
Whilst the exterior and lobby are very nice, once we got to our floor there was an strange smell from the hallway and in our room. Our room was also very dated and there was just enough space to walk around the double bed. The lack of fridge was also disappointing and the final disappointment was the charge for 24hr internet. (There is a cafe around the corner that we went to which offered free wifi so I'd advise to use it instead). We only really used the hotel for sleeping in and spent the majority of our time out and about in Santa Monica.
There were a few positives: the location is excellent, reception and valet staff very friendly and the complementary breakfast even if it was just coffee and pastries was good to set us up for the day.
Overall however, for the price we paid I wouldn't recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the heart of Santa Monica, close to the Santa Monica Beach, the Hotel Carmel welcomes guests with classic Southern California hospitality. Steps away from world class shopping, fine dining, and the historic Santa Monica Pier, the Hotel Carmel has been a favorite with Santa Monica visitors since 1924. Experience Hotel Carmel’s history when you enter the lobby; a designated stop on the Santa Monica historic walking tour. High ceilings, a tiled floor, dramatic columns and a classic fireplace capture the gracious Spanish revival elements of the nineteen twenties. Guests at the hotel enjoy a privileged location, just a block to Santa Monica Beach and the Santa Monica Pier, home to attractions, amusements, and excitement. The hotel is across the street from Santa Monica Place Mall, anchored by Bloomingdales and Nordstrom, and features world class retailers such as Barney’s, Tory Burch, Tiffany & Company, Nike, Coach, Burberry,and Louis Vuitton. The Arclight Cinema and the Cheese Cake Factory are also located in Santa Monica Place. Just a block away is Santa Monica’s lively Third Street Promenade home to dining, shopping, and street performers. Be in the heart of it all in downtown Santa Monica. Experience the historic Hotel Carmel, a Southern California classic. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Agoda, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Carmel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carmel Hotel Santa Monica
- Hotel Carmel Santa Monica
- Carmel Santa Monica