The good points: good location. The young guy on reception is lovely.
The bad: substantial building work going on for many months. this is very noisy. We were not offered any alternative accommodation. The noise did not stop until around 10pm and began again at 6am.
The doors did not lock properly and rooms were left insecure.
The paid-for Wifi is slow; $10 for 24 hours is pretty steep.
Make sure you ask for a hairdryer.
The rooms are basic: our toilet leaked and was not fixed; the same confetti from previous guests remained on the carpet throughout our stay so is probably not cleaned to the best standard.
The older members of staff will not bend over backwards to make you happy!
The breakfast is complimentary but best avoided; there is nowhere to eat it in the lobby, either.
I really wouldn't bother.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the heart of Santa Monica, close to the Santa Monica Beach, the Hotel Carmel welcomes guests with classic Southern California hospitality. Steps away from world class shopping, fine dining, and the historic Santa Monica Pier, the Hotel Carmel has been a favorite with Santa Monica visitors since 1924. Experience Hotel Carmel’s history when you enter the lobby; a designated stop on the Santa Monica historic walking tour. High ceilings, a tiled floor, dramatic columns and a classic fireplace capture the gracious Spanish revival elements of the nineteen twenties. Guests at the hotel enjoy a privileged location, just a block to Santa Monica Beach and the Santa Monica Pier, home to attractions, amusements, and excitement. The hotel is across the street from Santa Monica Place Mall, anchored by Bloomingdales and Nordstrom, and features world class retailers such as Barney’s, Tory Burch, Tiffany & Company, Nike, Coach, Burberry,and Louis Vuitton. The Arclight Cinema and the Cheese Cake Factory are also located in Santa Monica Place. Just a block away is Santa Monica’s lively Third Street Promenade home to dining, shopping, and street performers. Be in the heart of it all in downtown Santa Monica. Experience the historic Hotel Carmel, a Southern California classic. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Evoline ltd, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, Priceline, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Carmel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carmel Hotel Santa Monica
- Hotel Carmel Santa Monica
- Carmel Santa Monica